Position Cut...New Career??? New Life??? Or simply new position?

I've been seeking opinions and help from friends and people I know. Thinking at many options.

Any ideas, anything will be appreciated. I've heard from an ex-gov employee (retired and ex-director of the Canadian Ski Museum) to fight to stay on the gov payroll (if I can continue to find the same work situation regarding time-off) to dropping everything and becoming a ski bum or stay at home-dad.

I've been working a Canadian Gov employee for almost 17 yrs. Deep cuts in the Canadian Government has gotten me on the edge of the door. I'm seeking some ideas from the collective maggot brain.

I'm not out of a job yet, but my position is gone at the end of March. Worst case scenario job wise now is that I'm still here for 16 months. I can also leave now (well soon) govt and get a lump sum payment. This amount would be important due to my years of service. There are a few different scenarios which includes job exchanges (trading places with someone that would want to leave and aren't affected).

Right now, we are two in my unit at my level with complimentary tasks and expertise. One was abolished (mine)...I could bump someone from their job inside the division that are at our similar level. Regardless, I'll be moving away from a more geography oriented job.

So the long story short, I don't know what will happen? Meeting today with my boss got me pissed off. All my stuff is pretty worthless if I left, because of lack of resources to compete them. Funny, over 2 million accessed my work in 2011, so it pretty big impact. Now I have to compete against my friends and colleagues I've know for years. There is also the idea that this might be the time to take the money and run. Not waiting for the end of the process to think of my options. I've started sending signals and contacted people elsewhere in govt (not many options, everyone is cutting), outside govt...also thinking outside the box.

Wondering if I can make a living and some income from the skiing side? Or other crazy ideas. Any thoughts, opinions, comments? I don't need to make a fortune. My good friend Lucky Luke mentioned that "no job is okay" (he sold his house and spending 3 months in Terrace BC). I'm not at that level of dropping everything, saving for my kids educations and skliing is expensive, especially the racing.

Like I said, nothing is too crazy...trying to brainstorm on ideas.

PS. This has screwed up my timing to spend time on my blog.

What is my background?
    - BSc and MSc in Geography
    - A number of contracts, research analyst stuff with Public Opinion firm or consultants until I got into the Gov in my early 30s.

Why stay?

- Pension plan. I can retire at 60 with over 50% of my salary (calculated on years of service)
    - I've managed to take over 1-2 months leave without pay most of the last 4 years.
    - I've been enjoying some freedom and financial security at the same time.
    - I could probably continue working, however my sure of the work environment.

Why go?

- I've been in a rut.
    - I want to go something totally different. Looking for more freedom. I love skiing, blogging (like so many people).
    - We can probably make it with one salary - my wife stayed at home for a number of years (student, kids).
    - Virtual debt free with rental income from a inheritance from my mom.
    - If I ever want out, it would be now - they are paying me to leave.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

I would think a career with the Canadian Govt is as sweet as it gets. I'd do whatever possible to stay with that. The private sector is colder than Dawson.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugach001 View Post
    I would think a career with the Canadian Govt is as sweet as it gets. I'd do whatever possible to stay with that. The private sector is colder than Dawson.
    Sweet? I've lived in a box for 17-yrs making the most of it in the last few by taking leave without pay.

It might be sweet for some, but it can be soul eating for others.

If I can't take time off or have difficulty to take it (first 6 yrs I had a hard time to take more than a couple of days per Winter) plus did overtime (paid and unpaid). There is more to life than work.

I want to enjoy work...my position is done. Not sure if I'll be offered something else or have to compete if I'm the loser in this process.
    Ski Mad World

How far are you to 60?
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    How far are you to 60?
    Well he was in his early 30s when he started working for the gov... and he has been there 17 years....

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Well he was in his early 30s when he started working for the gov... and he has been there 17 years....

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Some people say when looking back "early whatever" for what is not really early. I was making sure. If it was 35 or 30 that's the difference of 13 and 8 years to pension. Pretty big difference.

Some people say when looking back "early whatever" for what is not really early. I was making sure. If it was 35 or 30 that's the difference of 13 and 8 years to pension. Pretty big difference.
    I can't believe that I'll be 12 years away in June. Shit, now that is depressing.

The week after my 60th I'll be at 29 years of service (i.e. 58% of my best 5 consecutive years). If I leave now, well in June...it will be 17 years (34% - approx 20-23k) when I turn 60.
    Ski Mad World

Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post
    I can't believe that I'll be 12 years away in June. Shit, now that is depressing.

The week after my 60th I'll be at 29 years of service (i.e. 58% of my best 5 consecutive years). If I leave now, well in June...it will be 17 years (34% - approx 20-23k) when I turn 60.
    Wait... so you get a pension at 60 no matter what? If you stick around you get more but if you cut and run now you'll still make 23K a year forever at 60? Cut and run my friend, invest, have fun and you're solid. If you guys can make due on one salary now and you have the potential to find something worthy and still have that little 23K/year socked away in the future I bet leaving would be more beneficial to your well-being.

I am not a financial wizard and I didn't stay at a holiday inn last night. But I do know that loving what you do is far more beneficial than having a ton of money. Best of both worlds is to have both. But if I could have one or the other I would be happy doing what I do everyday over expendable income with a shitty day-to-day.

Wow, is it really worth 24% to hang around if you are stuck in a job you don't enjoy? Can't say I often agree with Blow'd but this may be one of those times. I guess it really depends on if you are going to get a job you like, or just a job. With a small guaranteed income and some wise financial planning you may not need to stay in the employ of Uncle Sam (or what ever the Canadian equivalent is. Uncle Pierre? Aren't all Canadian's named Pierre?)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Hugh Conway Guest
    You've got a wife and kids, right? How long until you are free to move away from Onterrible?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    You've got a wife and kids, right? How long until you are free to move away from Onterrible?
    That is a good question.
    Wife is in a good gov job (less pay than mine), but haven't been there long.
    Youngest is in Grade 5.

At one point we talked about moving for a few years to France (wife's family is there), but that wouldn't fly well with my teenaged girl. She's in a good program at school and is in Grade 10.

The wheel are turning in my head.

The ideal situation : same salary to ski, blog + other hobbies including pension in 12 yr at the same rate as my salary. Freelancing?

I know that isn't realistic, but it is something to aim at.

This situation got me carefully thinking; I would probably be okay to take a one-sixth cut of my salary for 2 months off for the next 12 years (I've done it to a lesser for a few years + my almost 5 wks vacation (in 2014)). I just need to get the fire burning for work stuff...something that I have totally lost.

Ontario, well this part isn't so bad. Day-drive distance for NVT and NY and Qc's Laurentians and Townships. Montreal is 120 miles away too.

If you guys can make due on one salary now and you have the potential to find something worthy and still have that little 23K/year socked away in the future I bet leaving would be more beneficial to your well-being.
    I agree with most of what you've said...one salary would be tight (we are talking far from 6-digits), especially with the kids university years coming (although cheaper here than the US). But not impossible, but we've had worst years when we came out of university.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash
    Wow, is it really worth 24% to hang around if you are stuck in a job you don't enjoy? (...) I guess it really depends on if you are going to get a job
    Well, I'd get 70% more pension for an extra 12 yrs. 24% is the equivalent of my best 5 years salary wise. Yes, you are totally correct...what will I end up with is going to be the breaking point. But I'm not waiting for 'official' word that to start exploring.
    Ski Mad World

...one salary would be tight (we are talking far from 6-digits), especially with the kids university years coming (although cheaper here than the US). But not impossible, but we've had worst years when we came out of university.
    I'm not going to go on about my philosophy on this based on reports from many financial people way smarter than me but I will say what I have heard. Saving and spending for your kids "degree" to go to college is dumb. You need to priority one, take care of yourself after you have no way of providing for yourself.

I am a product of a not wealthy family as are most of my friends. We can make it in this world without mommy and daddy paying our way. This sick society thinking you need to save $100K just to put a single kid through school is fucking stupid. I finished school in 4 years, worked 32-40 hours a week on top of it, finished with a very good GPA and paid my own way. If you want to keep taking care of your children as adults, stay with the job and get the pension. If you want them to be free thinkers, understand money and live their lives (not what you want for them) than cut the shit and live your life.

You should be saving for your retirement, not their education. And any financial adviser worth a shit will say the same thing (and I know jack).

You need to priority one, take care of yourself after you have no way of providing for yourself.

I am a product of a not wealthy family as are most of my friends. We can make it in this world without mommy and daddy paying our way. (...) You should be saving for your retirement, not their education. And any financial adviser worth a shit will say the same thing (and I know jack).
    I hear what you've saying; only child single mom in a waitress job with no child support. She lived and care for me as best she could, however I started paying for my skis at 16. Not saving a fortune for my kids education, but we'll give them a bigger hand that I had. Society has fucked this coming generation up with much highest cost of studying, lower opportunities, lower advantages, higher cost of housing, etc. Everything is a balancing act in my financial choices. Everyone that knows me, knows that I have also been thinking about myself with my ski trips.

Saving for education vs retirement: the Canadian Gov give up to 25% the money you set aside for your kids. Retirement Saving Plan are tax deductibles. Different strategy.

If my wife and still together, she will have real estate tied in to her family in France. I've inherrited my mom's Duplex in fairly central Montreal almost 3 years ago.
    Ski Mad World

I worked for the federal archives very briefly out of HS in a job where I went around to all the agencies in Vancouver and ya it all looked soul sucking but the Can fed gov didn't seem real demanding

we got a bunch of BC govy workers here, they all wear arcterxy, have nice skis/toys/bikes/sleds and on pow days they all book off the morning and trash my pow ... which is about as intense as they ever seem to get

In Canada a defined benefits Can gov pension is thot to be about as good as "it" gets (and aren't they indexed??) those jobs/pensions are simpley not around anymore, as one who stuck with a life time job to the end for that pot of gold I would agree with yer buddy who tells you to stay on the govy teat long as you can make it work/stand it

IME if you thro a kid of the dock metaphorically speaking they will still get that university ED if they want it bad enough OR you can pay for it and they will do a 4 year program in 6 cuz there is no urgency...but the world does not need another helicopter parent
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I got laid off from CanG0v job, and was really put through the wringer enough in the couple years before that it was kind of a good thing. Like, better than the nervous breakdown or heart attack that I may have ended up with both of.

in a different department, you may find a better dynamic. But their whole layoff process is such a heap of shit, I'd take the money and run. Take a few months off and focus on family and stuff, and keep you eyes and imagination open, and you will create your own next opportunity.

And it's going to nuke snow this week so, start with a personal powder day, you owe it to yourself, dude.

It's official as of today. Am the lucky 1 out of my group of 6 that be mentioned that my services were no longer required. HOWEVER (here is the catch), there are two other divisions that might need my services and that I might have meeting / interviews(?) with them (it was all very vague, but names and dates were dropped - another fucked timing with this storm hitting the East). The clock is ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    we got a bunch of BC govy workers here, they all wear arcterxy, have nice skis/toys/bikes/sleds and on pow days they all book off the morning and trash my pow ... which is about as intense as they ever seem to get

In Canada a defined benefits Can gov pension is thot to be about as good as "it" gets (and aren't they indexed??) those jobs/pensions are simpley not around anymore, as one who stuck with a life time job to the end for that pot of gold I would agree with yer buddy who tells you to stay on the govy teat long as you can make it work/stand it
    Not sure at what level they were or that is a vastly generalization of the situation in Gov? I've enjoyed more freedom recently, but it was called "leave without pay". I've gone through years where I would have vacation days be put on hold or refused due to operational requirements. In my first 3 years, I was taking less than 2 weeks vacation/week when I was entitled to 3. No vacation the first summer, 1 week the second summer plus working enough 'mandatory' overtime to annul those days off all together. Slightly okay when you don't have kids, but problematic when you are told that it would have less impact on the office if I would take only one day a week versus one whole week during to the summer where we wanted to go to Maine prior to my daughter starting kindergarden. Okay, those were the worst years (1996-2001), but I've been refused one week vacation in February (which was asked in September) due to my importance for the direction (2008).

Found out that one of my friends in the Private sector got can; we talked about my situation and thought initially had a generous package until he would out of the amount of years I had put in - then his reply was that it was industry standards and not necessarily out of whack with the Private sector. Not talking the any Private jobs.

Best pensions are elected officials. Found out from a few people recently with other pensions. I agree that it is generous, but I heard some that were better from friends and family. Pension is only part of the equation. I know some people in the Private with similar education and have worst or no pension plan, but some definitely make much more money with similar responsibilities.
    Ski Mad World

Quote Originally Posted by mtl_ripper View Post
    And it's going to nuke snow this week so, start with a personal powder day, you owe it to yourself, dude.
    Thanks MTL. I'll get out, before the end of the month (damn timing), however I'm still in training tomorrow (why the fuck?) and do want to hear what they have to offer. I know what I want. More time and freedom, if I can do it on a payroll. Great. if not? Well see.
    Ski Mad World

Up here the provincial gov only work 37 hrs and take time off for OT, I am sure there are jobs where they can get stuck working too much like you are doing but most of the younger govy drones go with the 10cm rule so I am used to seeing them for a couple or 3 hrs on a pow day before they head back to the cube farm for a rescheduled day

I got one of those pensions, I started fixing HW at IBM when I was 18, back in those days you were "Made" when they offered you a job, about the only job with a better plan was the Mafia

Its since changed of course but back in the day at IBM after 30 yrs service you were golden no matter what age, so when they canned me just after my 30th year at age 49 I got full retirement + a year of severance ... I haven't worked in > 7yrs

My pension is the old style defined benifits pension that I will collect till I die and I never contributed a cent towards, do you have a defined benifits pension OR a defined contribution ?

If I was you I might be tempted to check out those other govy jobs maybe the condition might be better and for a defined benefits pension ... consider it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Its since changed of course but back in the day at IBM after 30 yrs service you were golden no matter what age, so when they canned me just after my 30th year at age 49 I got full retirement + a year of severance ... I haven't worked in > 7yrs
    Jesus ....

Let's just say I would have 30 yrs at 49...I would basically get the same package money wise except the severance. Of course, you could score 60% of your salary as pension at 55 (for the Fed Gov pen you need a minimum of 30 yrs to start collecting (min 55) or wait until your 60. The only people eligible for early retirement have to be 55, even with the cutbacks.

My pension is the old style defined benifits pension that I will collect till I die and I never contributed a cent towards, do you have a defined benifits pension OR a defined contribution ?
    I contributed (more and more as it being changed), but the amount is directly related to my best 5 consecutive years salary-wise.

If I was you I might be tempted to check out those other govy jobs maybe the condition might be better and for a defined benefits pension ... consider it
    Any options in my head. From fighting the decision (if I want to burn bridges as I believe it was going to be me no matter what), to find some other indeterminate within my department, try to transfer elsewhere or take the money and run. Something that became more interesting if the back-to-school training program...adding two-years for training (paid up to a few 000s) and be put on a priority hiring list at the end of that period for one year. I would get some of that money (over one year salary).
    Ski Mad World