Thread: Undercut

Undercut

Just got under cut by another applicant. I talked to the owner of the company he said he liked me but all things being equal accept for the salary he had to go with the less expensive option. I think because I already have a job I'm not as desperate as some.

/blog
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

It's a tough world out there for sure and wages are not going up any time soon.

Funny Thing is Salaries are good if you already are working. If you don'y thave a job its hard to get one and pay is low. If you're looking to change jobs, pay is good and opportunities are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by nord View Post
    Funny Thing is Salaries are good if you already are working. If you don'y thave a job its hard to get one and pay is low. If you're looking to change jobs, pay is good and opportunities are out there.
    Disagree. As recently as 2008, most of the jobs I'm qualified for paid $85K - $110K. Now, many of those jobs seem to hire in the $60K-$80K range. Just about everyone I know makes less money in jobs they've taken in the last 2 years than in jobs taken more than 5 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Disagree. As recently as 2008, most of the jobs I'm qualified for paid $85K - $110K. Now, many of those jobs seem to hire in the $60K-$80K range. Just about everyone I know makes less money in jobs they've taken in the last 2 years than in jobs taken more than 5 years ago.
    I wonder how CEO salaries have faired over that same period...
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Was this all in the same geographic area? Just curious as in salary for certain jobs do fluctuate based on area (as you know) and those zones can change based on the economy in that area. Is that job available at high rates than 2008 elsewhere? For example for my expertise, rates have gone up significantly in the last 5 years in my area, while they have steadied or decreased in other areas.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Was this all in the same geographic area? Just curious as in salary for certain jobs do fluctuate based on area (as you know) and those zones can change based on the economy in that area. Is that job available at high rates than 2008 elsewhere? For example for my expertise, rates have gone up significantly in the last 5 years in my area, while they have steadied or decreased in other areas.
    Both, but some of the regional effect definitely factors in. FWIW, my peers at my old company are more or less on the same (very good) salary track as when I left. I think they're all making >$200K at this point. But there's been a huge shift in the markets since I moved. Some of my old colleagues have gone through long periods of unemployment and taken jobs for a lot less than they'd made in ages. One guy in particular was out of the streets for over a year and finally took a job paying about $125K - about 50% of what he was making in he previous job.

Obviously, the pay in CO will never be what it was in NY or NJ or DC, but when I arrived here in '08, there were dozens of jobs paying ~$100K. There were days I sent 30 resumes and got 10 calls. Landed a good, fairly high paying job within 2 weeks of looking. I was just out testing the waters recently, and now there are a handful of those jobs paying ~$80K, more ~$65K, and not nearly as many jobs overall.

I see lots of development jobs in the Denver area these days, but all on the cheap. I don't know for sure, but I think a senior level Ruby or Cassandra guy might make $100K if he got lucky. More run of the mill stuff (asp.net, java, php) seems like $65K-$75K. And forget infrastructure management. Windows Server? $35/hr maybe?

Back in the day, those fancy developer jobs were all contracts at $1000+/day.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Some of my old colleagues have gone through long periods of unemployment and taken jobs for a lot less than they'd made in ages. One guy in particular was out of the streets for over a year and finally took a job paying about $125K - about 50% of what he was making in he previous job. .
    Sounds brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Sounds brutal.
    What's brutal is trying to raise a family in nyc on that money.
    Hugh Conway sucks

I would find it hard to live on that alone, never mind with a family in NYC. shiat.

I would find it hard to live on that alone
    Nice ego pump...

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Nice ego pump...

sent from the future using my mind powers
    What? I don't make that. I said if I lived in NYC. It's an indictment of how crazy expensive it is to live there...

But color me surprised you didn't get that far into the sentence..

I would find it hard to live on that alone, never mind with a family in NYC. shiat.
    That's actually pretty comfortable for a single person. Enough to fund a nice apt in a good neighborhood with money to eat out and do whatever. Match that up with a nice vacation package and you're pretty set. Before my wife and I had kids, we each made about that and had 6 weeks vacation/year. It didn't suck.

More than anything, it was the property taxes that made it hard to consider staying there. Even if you own a place outright, you can easily have a $2500/month tax bill. Factor that in on top of the mortgage on your $900,000 3 br house in Essex or Westchester and it becomes hard to see how to get ahead of the game.
    Hugh Conway sucks

We all make sacrifices...