Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: NE Riding 2013

NE Riding 2013

Was just going to bump the old thread with the info that I tried to ride in the Fells yesterday and everything but the fireroads was still too snowy/slushy to really move on.

Then I realized that the old thread is labled 2012 and its fucking March already, so here we go... another fun filled year of TGR NE MTB!

I know personally I'm planning on riding much more this year than I did last and will probably end up buying something squishy...

Whats on your 2013 agenda?

Hooray For Bikes!!

I need to ride way more this year!

DCR has the Fells on the March no-bike policy right now through the end of March (unless things dry out), so careful about not being seen (they were out in force last year ticketing people I heard).

^^ Oops.. good to know.

I definitely didn't do any damage but I'll keep that in mind as things continue to thaw/dry out...

Yeah I attempted to ride Wompatuck yesterday. Most of the snow is gone, but there is a few inches of slush in a some spots. Its mostly rideable, you just need to get off and walk through some spots. There is also a lot of down trees - some very large ones here and there. A couple more weeks of above freezing temps should thaw out the rest of the snow.

Everything by me (western CT/eastern NY) is either slop or ice, but for a couple small areas.

Overwinter gnomes put in a new skinny.

Roll or small drop, you've got a bike length to decide.

Meanwhile, back at the cah.

Ninham yesterday- a series of ridges with trail going up the ridges and down the valleys. Updownupdownupdown is the nature of trail there. Only stuff dry was the front side of the first ridge, everything else was either still way too iced over, or sloppy mud. Managed about two hours, doing laps of the front side stuff.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Reppin' the small NJ contingency.

My bike is f'ing DIALED. Really not much else I could do to make it any better.

Trails have been slop here for months. Last winter was dry, but its been wet here this year so the trails are mostly shut down. Been in the gym a ton though, and looking to hit a good portion of these races:

Sunday 4/21 -- H2H Race #1 @ Peekskill, NY
    http://www.h2hrace.com/

Sunday 5/5 -- H2H Race #2 @ Wayway, NJ

Saturday 5/18 -- On The Rocks, Elverson, PA
    Sunday 5/19 -- H2H #3 @ Jungle Habitat, NJ

Satuday 6/1 -- Bear Creek Super D @ Macungie, PA
    Sunday 6/2 -- Bear Creek Challenge

Sunday 6/23 -- H2H #4 @ Lewis Morris, NJ

Sunday 7/14 -- H2H #5 @ Kittatiny NJ

Saturday 7/27 -- NIGHT RACE @ Marsh Creek, Downingtown, PA

Howdy. Just checkin' in. I'm enjoying winter too much to get on the bike just yet, but soon. I'll see y'all at the usual spots and then will be in Montana from late June to mid August if any NE mags wanna make the pilgrimage out there. Viva la dirt!

What part of Mantana are you headed to? I'll be looking for longer rides in western mass, hopefully racing more, hopefully going faster. Anyone in the area with good beta?

I'd say things will be ready to go in well draining spots in a few days? What'y'all think? This extra hour of daylight is my new best friend.

Just saw that^^^ I'll be in Billings, but with a lot of time on my hands. Gonna miss the East though. Psyched to come home to fall riding in September.

I'm gonna be setting aside a night this week to put my bike(s) back together, I think we could be on dirt in a week or less!

Ready that soon? Seriously?! Hopefully. I would pumped to ride this weekend.

(I live in Lebanon, NH now and thus have no idea what's going on in Mass, other than it snowed a shit-ton last week)

Got my highland pass already so I'll be doing a lot of riding there this summer.

The first spot to be "in" here in middle CT got almost 2 feet on friday, so that will take some time.

Otherwise ive got a fork to get rebuilt and some toobless to get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    I'm gonna be setting aside a night this week to put my bike(s) back together, I think we could be on dirt in a week or less!
    Probably not the case here is western Mass. I'm guessing we'll need another two weeks. Warm temps and rain will make the snow disappear, then we need the water/mud to go away.
    Good time to get out and start building/fixing trails, though.

We're spoiled over in the Boston area. Everything is so damn rocky and drains so quickly that you can ride right after the snow melts. Hoping Lynn woods is good to go by the weekend.

Yeah, the majority of trails here won't be in great shape, but they're are definitely some places that'll be good to go soon. Just depends on how much rain we get over the next few days.

I'm in no rush though, just booked a trip to Silverton and have some corn snow missions for the next month or so!

I'm thinking that after the rain and all the warmth, most of CT has melted out at this point. Maybe some of the higher elevations will be in in the next couple of days-weeks. Case, West Hartford, etc. I'm headed to SLC next week, so hopefully by the time I get back, it will be game on and by then sunset will be after 7pm.

My calendar this year might have me trying my hand at some races in the Root 66 series.

Booked tickets to NEMBAFest and definitely going to ride Lunar Quarry at Pine Hill again.

I also hear rumors that Powder Ridge in Middlefield will be opening for DH this summer?
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Well its damn near 60 degrees here in Boston, snow's melting and I'm determined to ride this weekend because the skiing will be so-so. I just need to find the right spot.....I'm think of heading down towards the Cape on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    I'm thinking that after the rain and all the warmth, most of CT has melted out at this point.

My calendar this year might have me trying my hand at some races in the Root 66 series.

Booked tickets to NEMBAFest and definitely going to ride Lunar Quarry at Pine Hill again.

I also hear rumors that Powder Ridge in Middlefield will be opening for DH this summer?
    Going to head over the border to Ninham in the AM - closest place to me that handles the wet pretty decently, compared to anything else.

Have heard that too. We'll see - I think it's just a couple little trail bits to gauge interest/use at this point, but still worth checking out to lend support, IMO.

Don't have to be back to work until the 19th - there ought to be some good trail drying going on in there!

Been riding all winter long here in pa. Trails around Philly are prime right now.
    "The riding never stops" Craig Kelly

If people in eastern MA are interested in a place to ride, I heard from a co-worker that SE MA is snow free and bone dry. Myles Standish, Trail of Tears, etc. I'll hitting up one of those places this weekend. Sunny and temps around 40 should make for good riding weather.

Got out in Lynn for an hour or so this afternoon... mud wasn't really an issue and while there are still a few snowy sections I'd say the south end is at least 80% dry and ready.

I'll be back tomorrow to poke around on the north side... will try and get some pics if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Going to head over the border to Ninham in the AM - closest place to me that handles the wet pretty decently, compared to anything else.

Have heard that too. We'll see - I think it's just a couple little trail bits to gauge interest/use at this point, but still worth checking out to lend support, IMO.

Don't have to be back to work until the 19th - there ought to be some good trail drying going on in there!
    Yorktown looks to be good to go. Gonna head in there Tuesday if it doesn't snow and see what's up. Patterson is still almost all ice and muck so no go there. Sprain looks good but too many cars being broken into there so unless they get that solved it's off my list.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Yorktown looks to be good to go. Gonna head in there Tuesday if it doesn't snow and see what's up. Patterson is still almost all ice and muck so no go there. Sprain looks good but too many cars being broken into there so unless they get that solved it's off my list.
    Haven't been to Yorktown yet, but have heard it's a fun little spot. So many places closer, I've just not bothered to go check it out yet.

I figured as much, so figured to wait a couple more weeks.

Awesome riding at Lynn today, but sadly it is going to snow again. Get it while you can.