Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    ^^ carbon standard flex

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Is there any more early feedback on how the CCR versions are skiing? Standard layup ideally.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLineSeeker View Post
    Is there any more early feedback on how the CCR versions are skiing? Standard layup ideally.
    See freeride world tour results 2013?

That's the earliest.

I still don't understand full rocker on a ski with this much sidecut but if you're into it, it can obviously work.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 03-24-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Looking to lock down a new pair of 187 GPO hawtness. Does anyone have a loyalty coupon code they can PM me?

Thanks adrenalated!

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    See freeride world tour results 2013?

That's the earliest.

I still don't understand full rocker on a ski with this much sidecut but if you're into it, it can obviously work.
    This ski is near perfect in my opinion. I wouldn't buy it in full rocker. Again my opinion only.

Med-Stiff, carbon. Swiss cheesing for dynafits with sollyfit toe shim soon.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Well these things are loose and nimble; could not find trees too tight.

192s not sure on flex, but my guess is a carbon layup? Chicken can confirm.

I agree that it is pretty awesome that you can get different flex profiles.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I'm assuming the 2015 spec online, where the tail rocker is 20cm more than the tip rocker, is backwards?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I would make the same assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    I'm assuming the 2015 spec online, where the tail rocker is 20cm more than the tip rocker, is backwards?

Considering getting the GPO in 192 cm stiff flex, normal camber and UL-core/carbon layup. Two questions:
    1. Can anybody PM me the 30% off coupon code (loyalty?)
    2. I handflexed the stock medium/stiff version in a shop. This felt way softer compared to my Cochise and RPC. I assume, the stiff flex in UL-core/carbon layup will be still a tad softer as both Cochise and RPC are really stiff beasts. Am I right in this assumption?

Yes, right assumption. Not sure how stiff the UL core can get, but if you're really after the stiffest ride possible, just email Keith the details of what you want and he will build it.

Check your Pm's.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer
    2. I handflexed the stock medium/stiff version in a shop. This felt way softer compared to my Cochise and RPC.

I own/ski the RPC and the med stiff carbon GPO. How they hand flex is totally different than how they ski. Much closer on snow than a hand flex would indicate. RPC is a solid 2x4 in hand. GPO a noodle by comparison. On the snow they are very similar IMO.

Thanks SChicken. Cool avatar BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    I own/ski the RPC and the med stiff carbon GPO. How they hand flex is totally different than how they ski. Much closer on snow than a hand flex would indicate. RPC is a solid 2x4 in hand. GPO a noodle by comparison. On the snow they are very similar IMO.
    Are we talking Pure 3 construction here? I love personally the RPC in anything soft. On hardpack, especially if rough, it beats sometimes the shit out of my knees. So I hoped a stiff GPO with UL core and carbon would be like a little softer RPC Pure 3 in the same weight category which will be about as perfect as it gets.
    Shape wise the GPO and the RPC are very similar so I can image that they ski very similar also. But then, what are the differences?

Something keith showed me years ago with the skis he was making vs. some others is the way in which the tips and tails break as you flex them. I don't mean in pieces but where along the ski the kind of hinge occurs. This is where either a material tapers out and isn't present in the ends, or where a layer ends abruptly. You've seen skis and snowboards that have a funky U-shape in the tip......this is to smooth out that hinge. Keith has spent a lot of time tuning his cores to do essentially the same thing. That results in a really enlongated break point that makes the overall flex really even and progressive. They may feel softer right off the top of the flex but the overall effect is a ski that skis just like a stiffer one with more defined break points. Go flex something from armada or salomon and you can really see it. Praxis skis flex more like old race stock skis but not as burly...just a lot more tuned feeling.

But anyway....that's why you hear all these 'stiffer than hand flex' would indicate comments IMO. You have to look at more of the flex, deeper into the flex when comparing them.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

But anyway....that's why you hear all these 'stiffer than hand flex' would indicate comments IMO. You have to look at more of the flex, deeper into the flex when comparing them.
    So you guys suggest medium/stiff flex is enough on the 192 cm UL core/carbon?
    I’m pretty much into skiing fast big lines und sending off not to small cliffs. What I really hate (and fear) are flapping, deflecting tips and no tail support as encountered frequently in softish skis. Praxis says on their website that the medium/stiff flex is comparable to Cochise. Though, hand flexing the 192 cm stock version (probably no carbon) directly next to my 13/14 193 cm Cochise - no fookin way. I’m confused but based on this comparison my gut feeling says to go with the stiff flex.

This statement holds real true! Did not know that about the Praxis cores. The standard GPO feels soft in the tail but skis chargy. The protest is also soft when compared to other skis but comparing the protest to my old pair of rocker 2s the tip is much more supportive. Hard to describe what I am talking about but ill give it a go. When skiing at moderate speed and doing short porpoisy turns when coming out of the compression phase the protest tip deflexes evenly without flopping (vibrating/oscillating) like I said hard for me to put into words. Its one of the things that I started to feel when I spent more time on my Powderboards. They are fully rockered so they dont decamber just flex the rocker more so when coming back to their natural rocker they never go through the decambered to cambered stage. The protest also does this even though it has a little bit of camber.

Not sure if that makes sense but just what I have been noticing.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    So you guys suggest medium/stiff flex is enough on the 192 cm UL core/carbon?
    I’m pretty much into skiing fast big lines und sending off not to small cliffs. What I really hate (and fear) are flapping, deflecting tips and no tail support as encountered frequently in softish skis. Praxis says on their website that the medium/stiff flex is comparable to Cochise. Though, hand flexing the 192 cm stock version (probably no carbon) directly next to my 13/14 193 cm Cochise - no fookin way. I’m confused but based on this comparison my gut feeling says to go with the stiff flex.
    That's the whole reason he put that comparison list together. He literally built a freakin machine to objectively compare flexes. It's a number (I wish he'd put the actual values up there). But I'd trust that list pretty well. I guarantee you there's more thought into that list than anything most of the other ski makers are putting into making sure their core batches match each other, not to mention ski to ski in the same pair.

I've had some metal topped race room skis from other companies that in no way felt like they had just outright stiffer tips than some other skis. But on the snow.......not even the same league of stable. There's more to flex than just 'stiffness'. Depending on how big you are, I'd be surprised if you thought a carbon layup medium/stiff was too noodly. Part of the carbon layup's little secret is that it HAS to top out and not flex past a certain point on a regular basis, because it starts breaking down the weave. So you'll never get a 'soft/noodly' carbon layup ski from him.

187 GPO mount: I threw Marker Schizos on them.
    I prefer 0 to -1

....felt more balanced on technical lines and the gawddamn off piste bumps at Jackson Hole last week. Still fine in the few pow stashes I found.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

To all of you who are like me struggeling to find the right flex pattern. This is the answer from Keith to my request. Thanks to Keith for the fast response:

Thanks for the email and interest in getting a pair of our GPO's. For the flex question, we measured the flex on the cochise with our flex testing machine and my notes from that do show it as being almost in the stiff category as far as its flex number. I would say you would be good to go with the stiff flex for the GPO. I do not think it will turn out as too much a of a plank for you and sounds like it would be a good fit. Hope that info helps, please let me know what comes up for questions.

Thanks

Keith

My email to Praxis:

Dear Praxis team,

I'm considering purchasing the cambered GPO in 192 cm UL core/carbon.
    As a former (non-professional) freeride comp skier I’m pretty much into skiing fast big lines und sending off not to small cliffs in variable terrain and conditions. My other skis are Blizzard Cochise 193 cm and DPS RPC Pure 3 192 cm. My home ski area is Arlberg/Austria.
    What I really hate (and fear) are flapping tips and no tail support as encountered frequently in softish skis. Praxis says on their website that the medium/stiff flex is comparable to Cochise. Though, hand flexing the 192 cm stock version (probably no carbon) directly next to my other skis I noticed that the GPO flexed way softer. I’m confused but based on this comparison my gut feeling says to go with the stiff flex. Though, I don’t want to get an uber-stiff ski and would appreciate a ski which is tad softer than Cochise or RPC but still is a confidence inspiring charger.
    What would be your recommendation regarding the flex?

Best regards,

I need mounting help.

I know about the endless debate here about mount points, but hear me out.

I have a pair of 192 med-stiff carbons. They are mounted for Sth on the dimple for 310mm BSL. I want to start touring on them. My only complaint about them currently is that they don't float as well as I'd like.

So for the dynafit remount (toe shim) I want to move them to -1 to improve float and also shrink the BSL to 300 (range 313 down to 287 to allow for vulcans or tlt5) and there is hole conflict with the Sth heel. I can avoid it if I go back to -1.5 or up to -0.25.

I want some tail to land on, and i want the skis to retain their absurd agility. But i would also like them to float a little better.

Is -1.5 going to change the ski? Or will it feel exactly the same with a touch better float? Or am I splitting hairs?

Or should I just stay on/near the dimple since I already like it there?

I skied a pair of the 187s with demo bindings that I moved around between the line and -1.

I'm buying a pair and definitely will be hiking with them. I'm going -1 without even questioning it. They skied great on the line for where I had them.....dense pasty pow only really sinking in about a foot at most. They just had that feel to me that yes, I'd be dragging the tips in deep blower snow one day.

Look at those boot chord center numbers he's got on the website. That mount point for the GPOs is forward of a lot of the mounts on some of the 'pow' skis. Considering how far that taper goes back with the bullet nose tip on the GPOs, there's not much tip edge in front of your foot when you lay them over. Personally I'd have no problem with going -1.5. Of course it's going to change the way it skis, but that's kind of the point isn't it?

I still find mine (187s) PLENTY nimble at -2cm. But I haven't skied them on the line to compare.

I'm buying a pair and definitely will be hiking with them. I'm going -1 without even questioning it. They skied great on the line for where I had them.....dense pasty pow only really sinking in about a foot at most. They just had that feel to me that yes, I'd be dragging the tips in deep blower snow one day.

Look at those boot chord center numbers he's got on the website. That mount point for the GPOs is forward of a lot of the mounts on some of the 'pow' skis. Considering how far that taper goes back with the bullet nose tip on the GPOs, there's not much tip edge in front of your foot when you lay them over. Personally I'd have no problem with going -1.5. Of course it's going to change the way it skis, but that's kind of the point isn't it?
    Yes...but I don't want to change them significantly. I just want a touch of a nose lift. If they're touring, I will still hit cliffs (when they're there), probably won't ski switch, but I'm expecting variable conditions (where these absolutely dominate the way they are now) and I also expect/hope for some really blower snow, and I don't want to ski full runs lost in the backseat in good snow...

Anyone else drinking -1.5 cool-aid?

Sigh.

^ I went with -0.5 for my dynafits. Only been out in the once, get out on them again this weekend, but seemed good to moi.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."