Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1122
    I ordered a Piste Jib in "heavy w/carbon" as another all mtn mostly on resort ski. The addition of carbon seem so work with my skiing

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    I ordered a Piste Jib in "heavy w/carbon" as another all mtn mostly on resort ski.
    you are gonna love that

Im going with my first non-carbon praxis build with a skinny GPO heavy core veneer 4- flex for mainly resort ski

I have a 182 MAP with carbon build in a 3+ that I like for soft snow

I'm 180-185 these days 5'8"

The 4- flex with heavy core will be stiffest ski i've skied in a while

It will be interesting
    Aggressive in my own mind

Isn't that just a Freeride core in a GPO press?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Off the top of my head, the sidecut length of the Freeride is quite a bit longer, which of course, changes the tip and tail taper.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

You think?

A core doesn't make a praxis model, the shape does

Good luck with your purchase schlraphy
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I have a pair of Piste Jib's with carbon, veneer and the heavy core. It is by far my favorite layup that they offer. It's damp enough to Mach through crud but it also has some great pop to it. I think an Enduro core with carbon and veneer would make for a nice ski (I like poppy skis).

I've also own(ed) a stock layup GPO (Enduro no carbon) and Enduro + carbon Protest. If I order another Praxis ski it'll have veneer+carbon core.
    I did not have veneer on any of those layups, so that might reduce the nervousness that GNU noted. It really is noticeable at high speed in chop - at least for me. The rest of the time it gives you the pop that jmars notes.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I did not have veneer on any of those layups, so that might reduce the nervousness that GNU noted. It really is noticeable at high speed in chop - at least for me. The rest of the time it gives you the pop that jmars notes.
    My Protest's were an Enduro/carbon layup. I never noticed them getting too nervous while maching through chop but once stuff started to set up and get firm they weren't the most enjoyable ride. They're a big, fat ski and I'd rather be riding something narrower and stiffer in hard cruddy conditions.

The Official Great Pacific Octopus Thread

I've been flipping back and forth between my ul gpo's with dynafits and my map(enduro) gpo's with cast , for the last couple weeks touring off the hill. Both with the same boot. The ul's are a handful on the hill when it's scraped off, refrozen or icy. Definitely noticeable and requires more attention in the chopped pow, not nearly as bad as icy conditions, as the design does shine through there. Climbing and fresh lines the ul's are magic and no issues. Cast with ffg 14's along with the map core are the suck to drag uphill in comparison(most weight diff is the alpine vs dfits). My ul's aren't veneer but I've been impressed with the dampness of my ul exp's with veneer(for a ul ski). All this has me thinking of a map c veneer with kingpins to take place of both gpo setups. Bit of give and take but more take I think

I have a map/carbon/veneer GPO and have had other non carbon praxii ... IMO the veneer adds 'something' that settles the ski down in shit snow.
    Even if you aren't building a touring ski, and if you like the look, consider adding the veneer.

Speaking of damp, I've been wondering how another killer ski company we all love makes such damp skis using bamboo. Is it just a matter of mass?

The Official Great Pacific Octopus Thread

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I have a map/carbon/veneer GPO and have had other non carbon praxii ... IMO the veneer adds 'something' that settles the ski down in shit snow.
    Even if you aren't building a touring ski, and if you like the look, consider adding the veneer.
    Edit fail ¥¥me

I was thinking I was feeling that with the veneer on my exp's but it's a stretch comparing it to my gpo's without veneer. Good to know. Maybe I "need" ul gpo's with veneer and kingpins and map c veneers with cast2. First world problems. Can't see not having a gpo regardless
    ^^me

Speaking of damp, I've been wondering how another killer ski company we all love makes such damp skis using bamboo. Is it just a matter of mass?
    Also wondering. Like to compare a heavy core gpo to my others(map core in particular)

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    182 GPO flex 3 seems like a good fit. I'd go enduro-veneer instead of enduro carbon for resort crud.
    Oh yeah, Keith is building my skis this week!
    Settled on 182 GPO Flex 3, Enduro-Veneer (Ambrosia Maple #1), Screaming Bear graphic.

Perfect complement to my Prior Backcountry splitboard with the PNW-inspired totem graphics, especially since I'm moving next week from the Sierra to the Cascades as my "home range."

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

And the days have begun to get shorter. Let the stoke begin.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    And the days have begun to get shorter. Let the stoke begin.

... Thom

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Oh yeah, Keith is building my skis this week!
    Settled on 182 GPO Flex 3, Enduro-Veneer (Ambrosia Maple #1), Screaming Bear graphic.

Perfect complement to my Prior Backcountry splitboard with the PNW-inspired totem graphics, especially since I'm moving next week from the Sierra to the Cascades as my "home range."
    Nice build. Been wanting to put screaming bear on something for a while. They look awesome on veneer too and on a gpo to boot. Work of art all the way around

Giddyup!!!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Sickity! Some good life choices were made here
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

Giddyup!!!
    My wife hates when I use the saying, but those are "full on titties"... I love me some GPOs...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using TGR Forums mobile app

I simply love the descriptor "tits!"
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Yes, gpo's are awesome and been wanting something with screaming bear for a while . Veneer just made both those options better. Man they look good

They are still in plastic, hence the funny reflections ... will keep EM sealed until I get my workshop set up so I can mount and wax em! This will be my PNW resort "soft snow" & travel ski.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Nice looking skis. My veneer Screaming Bear came out much darker and duller than that. Not that I really care about looks. Maybe a bit.
    Life is not lift served.

The safe bet as far as predictable results on veneer is always going to be a line drawing like Tsunami, Ibex, etc.

On the flip side, I thought that the Max (Peter Max) pattern on a nylon top sheet was too bold for my tastes. I then saw how it rendered on veneer in a mass e-mail from Keith this Spring and I jumped all over it. Looking back at this, I like both versions now but still prefer the veneer version.

Max on veneer topsheet (from Keith's mailing):

Max Graphic on nylon top sheet:

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Yup^^veneer is a win win win. Looks, feel, durability

Quote Originally Posted by kneedropper View Post
    I've been on the 187 mounted tele this season. Started at -1 and moved it forward to line (bombers) and really can't tell a big difference. I found myself not using the protests earlier in the year as they just do everything well. Standard layup. I want some 192 to mount alpine. I tried to like the concepts mounted tele but I just couldn't get the rear ski to engage predictably.
    Can anyone else comment on a telemark mount for a stock 187 GPO? I have liked my 187 Protests, 190 BC, and 187 MVPs mounted alpine on Praxis's rec line (or just behind if required by prior mounts). But these will be mounted for tele (NTN).... psyched to lay down some telemark turns again!