Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    My 187s showed yesterday. They look awesome. The mount point is sooooo much farther forward than my 112RPs. I will have to do some thinking on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    My 187s showed yesterday. They look awesome. The mount point is sooooo much farther forward than my 112RPs. I will have to do some thinking on that.
    Please let me know what you think.

I have 112RP but always considered them 1-1.5cm too far back.

I knew that it would take some thinking before I decided on a mount point.

The 187 GPO measures 4cm longer than the 184 112RP. Depending on how you look at it, the mount point for my GPOs is about 7cm further forward (!) than my 112RP. It's a massive difference. If I mounted the GPOs on the dimple, the tip will be 5.5cm shorter than my 112RP, with a 9.5cm longer tail. I do want more tail than the 112RP, but my first thought is that it seems kind of absurd as marked.

Dromond, any chance you could post pics of 112 next to GPO,s.

Quote Originally Posted by Stowelen View Post
    Dromond, any chance you could post pics of 112 next to GPO,s.
    Oh I will. And the dimple on my 187s is 86cm from the tail.

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    Mine should be in tomorrow. Expect photos.
    Damn. Mine were stolen off the porch. Friends verified that they were delivered, but soon thereafter they vanished. This was in San Diego, so I'm hoping SoCal folks can keep an eye out. There should be no unmounted 187 GPOs for sale anywhere right now, so of anyone sees some, please let me know.
    Last edited by davieboot; 05-30-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

My 182cm GPOs have been shipped and will be delivered Monday. Big decision to go so short but have been skiing two very similar sized skis, both of which I really like. The Huascaran- 177cm and the Hang5-178cm. It will be interesting to see how the suggested mount points line up in comparison. A pair of 192 GPOs and PBs keep sucking me back to the Praxis web site

Damn. Mine were stolen off the porch.
    Man, really sorry to hear that. I just mounted my 187s with your universal jig and was thinking 'FKNA, this thing was soooo worth it.' Hope you get that shiz resolved ASAP.

I mounted mine at the dimple (considered -1, but tried not to over think it). Will ski them on Saturday. FWIW, the recommended mount point is really similar to the rec on my 187 EHPs (which I love) - so yeah, it's a forward mount but not absurd IMO. More tip rocker on the GPO so they may ski shorter, we'll see.

I have 187 EHPs, 190 Wailer 112s, and the 187 GPO all mounted at recommended - can post pics if anybody's interested. The GPO looks like the lovechild of the 112 and the EHP. Can't wait to try 'em out.

Damn. Mine were stolen off the porch. Friends verified that they were delivered, but soon thereafter they vanished. This was in San Diego, so I'm hoping SoCal folks can keep an eye out. There should be no unmounted 187 GPOs for sale anywhere right now, so of anyone sees some, please let me know.
    I know you'd love to bust the thief, but you've contacted the shipper right? The shipment should have had a declared value of (at least) what you paid.. the shipper files a claim, gets a check, and your new skis get replaced.

Looking closely at the skis, they really look like what I was going for, which is great! I wanted something that really surfed and could be fun, inbounds powder ski while also being more stable and better in crud.

Comparing the 187 GPO (fiberglass, medium stiffness) to the 184 112, the tip and tail width are very close. The waist is 6mm wider, giving it the less radical sidecut. Interestingly, the camber (~2mm) and the point at which the tip and tail rocker start is almost identical. The flex on the GPO is stiffer overall, and the pattern is different. The flex is rounder and more similar in the tip and tail, while the 112 is much softer in the tip than the tail. The rocker is very different as well; lower in the tip and much lower in the tail. All these things suggest that they will indeed be much better in crud.

As far as subjective, aesthetic considerations, the shape is awesome and I like the graphic. The tail shape is especially nice. The red sidewalls really clash with the purple graphic and I wish they were white. Weird color choice there. The base graphic (a soft-looking Praxis logo on the tip on one ski and tail on the other) is OK. I think that the simple die-cut (?) base graphics like the DPS logo on the bottom of the 112s is cooler. The finish on the base looks well done and overall construction looks good.

The reason I'm a little unsure what to do is that when I got on the 112s, the hugely rockered, softish, unsinkable tips were a real revelation in our deep and heavy snow. I was finally able to drive the tips no matter what and never worry about sinking them, which is awesome! If I lost my balance to the front a bit I just bounced off them and skied on, never going OTB. If I got off balance to the back, well, I pretty much did a huge wheely/butt check/hip check and bounced back up one way or another. These are going to be my only inbounds pow skis and the idea of (if I mounted on the dimple) having tips that are 5cm shorter, stiffer, with less rocker does not sound all that great in terms of floatation in deep, heavy and/or weird snow. I'm sure I'll mount back from the dimple but I'm not sure by how much. I know there is just some aspect of "It's a different ski, you'll get used to it" but I don't want to be stuffing tips all the tip on a longer ski. it looks like the collective has mounted from 0 to -2. Hmmmm......

Here are a bunch of photos for all ski nerds and prospective buyers to peruse.

This would be the tip/tail difference I mounted on the dimple.

This would be -3cm

Last edited by Dromond; 05-31-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Thanks for the info and pics.

Interesting pics, Drom, thanks. I'll admit I got an almost instant boner for the 'Pus when I saw alongside the Wailers. Similar, but quite different.

[I thought I was odd when I posed a photo/mounting comparo with Protest and W112s]
    Life is not lift served.

Thanks for the pics and your thoughts.

What you are describing about the wailer, what you like and dislike about it as well as your hopes for the GPO are spot on with how I have been looking at these two skis.

It looks like a more centre mount would be good for that ski shape. I am leaning towards the -2 crowd. I have to compare to my waiters and rens

I want to put a pair of the 185 Worth Magics next to those 187 GPOs so fkn bad... They seem incredibly similar, just skinnier and with less rocker than the 'pus.

I would love to get a visual comparison and do some hand flexing too... Anybody in the NE getting a pair so we can play "You can touch mine if I can touch yours"???
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    The reason I'm a little unsure what to do is that when I got on the 112s, the hugely rockered, softish, unsinkable tips were a real revelation in our deep and heavy snow. I was finally able to drive the tips no matter what and never worry about sinking them, which is awesome! If I lost my balance to the front a bit I just bounced off them and skied on, never going OTB. If I got off balance to the back, well, I pretty much did a huge wheely/butt check/hip check and bounced back up one way or another. These are going to be my only inbounds pow skis and the idea of (if I mounted on the dimple) having tips that are 5cm shorter, stiffer, with less rocker does not sound all that great in terms of floatation in deep, heavy and/or weird snow. I'm sure I'll mount back from the dimple but I'm not sure by how much. I know there is just some aspect of "It's a different ski, you'll get used to it" but I don't want to be stuffing tips all the tip on a longer ski. it looks like the collective has mounted from 0 to -2. Hmmmm......

Hey man, just wanted to chime in really quick on this... As someone who made a similar move this season, I had two animals to choose between- My 185 Magics (also pressed by Praxis and look very similar overall except a little more camber, a little skinnier and less rocker) and a pair of 186 Billy Goat tours which were new this season as well. The BGs shined like stars in the fresh untouched but they acted like a total pow ski in the chop, which kinda sucked. When I got the Magics, I wondered how they would float in pow since they were so much more traditional, but let me tell you- you will never look back. That shape and tip/tail will be KILLER across the board. Not only will it plane predictably and cleanly, it will have a ridic amount of stability at any speed. It won't be a noodle in the least and the tips wont dive, scout's honor. It'll slash around in pow and still throw down big solid arcs like nobody's business. Once it gets chopped up, that low and long tip splay will provide freight-trail like solidarity as you missile through it like you could only wish for on your 112s. Also, I felt similarly about the dimple location on the Magics, so I mounted -2cm and LOVE THAT SPOT. I have been told that Keith uses the dimple as the most forward recommended mount point, rather than the best all around and a -2cm is usually $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ fwiw.

Magic tips so you see what I mean- they are shaped more like a missile than the average pow ski out there right now.

The tips certainly don't have the same "never NOT planing on the surface" quality as something with a banana or giant shovel up front like the 112 or the BG, but it also will never feel like a roller skate at speed or be massively deflected either and will maintain that same predictable, clean and quick feel no matter what you're skiing, I guarantee it. It's the difference between planing because there's a big, floppy stupid fucking tip up front and doing so because of the entire ski's overall design- and it's a difference I've come to appreciate wholeheartedly, especially in bigger or faster terrain. Keith is a genius and we are all so incredibly lucky that he is doing what he is doing, that much I can say without question!

Keith for President '16
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Keep in mind the goo rocker is two stage. Very deep it's real minimal but there. Then long low nose, ala squad. But I could not sink it and ski real forward. Maybe I could have mounted more forward or went 187. But I think they are a charging ski and stiff.

Maybe don't try to make it something it's not. My squads and protest rock the trees. These just crush vertical and I lapped alta top to bottom from bell to bell.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Anybody in the NE getting a pair so we can play "You can touch mine if I can touch yours"???
    My 187 Carbons arrived yesterday. To repeat what's been said a million times; the shape and rocker just look so dialed when you see them in person/stand on them. What I'm beyond stoked on in this medium+ flex that Keith made for me. It's such a beautiful hand flex, even throughout the ski and it snaps back with so much energy. I just can't wait to the load these babies up on snow.

DoWork I'm a Jay pow day regular, (won't be around much in the summer) but I'd be stoked to meet a Mag, and do a swap with the Magics this season when the snow flies.

Heres a pic of the new BFFsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	GPO.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	1,000.7 KB 
ID:	138337

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    My 187 Carbons arrived yesterday. To repeat what's been said a million times; the shape and rocker just look so dialed when you see them in person/stand on them. What I'm beyond stoked on in this medium+ flex that Keith made for me. It's such a beautiful hand flex, even throughout the ski and it snaps back with so much energy. I just can't wait to the load these babies up on snow.

DoWork I'm a Jay pow day regular, (won't be around much in the summer) but I'd be stoked to meet a Mag, and do a swap with the Magics this season when the snow flies.

Heres a pic of the new BFFsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	GPO.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	1,000.7 KB 
ID:	138337

Oh hell yeah!

What layup did you get just out of curiosity? Hybrid or the glass?

Ullrfest is only a few months away... Just sayin

Looks like he got carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    Looks like he got carbon

Lol... I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Oh hell yeah!

What layup did you get just out of curiosity? Hybrid or the glass?

Ullrfest is only a few months away... Just sayin
    Can't come soon enough, will try to enjoy non-winter in the mean time and maybe wax the shit out em while I wait.

Quote Originally Posted by tripice351 View Post
    I know you'd love to bust the thief, but you've contacted the shipper right? The shipment should have had a declared value of (at least) what you paid.. the shipper files a claim, gets a check, and your new skis get replaced.
    I did not know this. This works even if they were delivered, then stolen, and therefore not really the fault of the shipper?

First, the disclaimer - I'm a schlub, not a charger. That said, I have been using Keith's skis for a bunch of years. When I first used them, my reaction was: mount back more. Like a number of other folks. But the more I've used them, the more I've come to appreciate Keith's sensibilities regarding mount point - among other things. I'm glad that he restarted marking the midsole points more where he thought they should be. At this point, 4 skiers in my family are using Praxis skis routinely (2 of us exclusively) - and every Praxis ski mounted in recent times is being skied on or in front of the current mark. Regarding the GPO - I'm pretty sure Tabke is skiing them 1 cm forward of the mark.

In comparing the ski to the W112, look at the tip taper. There is definitely more surface area in the front of the GPO due to the tip size and shape and its relationship to the sidecut zone. And the rise is quite different. I've only skied the GPO at 187 one day in mixed conditions. But based on that, I'm not losing any sleep over tip dive when mounted on the mark.

I totally understand that different folks have different styles and preferences - so I'm not suggesting this is "the answer". But I'd think some before straying too far from where Keith thinks is optimal for the ski.

Thanks for the 2nd opinions, everybody. I am leaning towards -2. Heck, I've got all summer to think about it!

I think the lower rocker, stiffer flex and less sidecut will really make the ski more stable, smooth and fun on the groomers, chop, crud, etc that I ski so much of at the resort. The sexy bananas are awesome, but they really most excel in deep untouched pow, tight turns, etc. They are very versatile in that I feel comfortable skiing almost anything on them, but the rocker is so abrupt that they feel very short a lot of the time. To get them to feel smooth over rougher snow I have to angulate a ton to get more than 90cm of the ski to touch the snow. I tend to bounce off of everything I hit. I think the GPOs will split the difference nicely.

Nice photo comparison. Thank you! Never been a huge fan of the 112s after a season on them but I really like the 112 RPC I am skiing on now.

The GPO seems to have hit on something similar for size, shape and rocker. Which really makes me want a pair of 192 GPOs to ski back to back with the RPC as a comparison.