Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 1096
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Incline Village, NV (Tahoe)
    Posts
    5,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    SupreChicken, Jim S, any chance you could a quick side by side with the concepts. from what I gather so far, the GPOs float better and are a bit stiffer for bigger lines, and Concepts get the nod on hardpack.
    I haven't skied the GPO a lot and I think I want to move them back from the mount on the dimple. I think I'm brain dead but with the all mtn skis from Praxis it's different flavors of greatness. For what it's worth my inbound go-to-skis the past two months are the Concept and Protest for the rare pow day with the others falling in behind still getting some love. I'm probably taking the Protest over my old Powders to AK in a few weeks.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You donít stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    F'n Midwest again
    Posts
    2,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I haven't skied the GPO a lot and I think I want to move them back from the mount on the dimple. I think I'm brain dead but with the all mtn skis from Praxis it's different flavors of greatness. For what it's worth my inbound go-to-skis the past two months are the Concept and Protest for the rare pow day with the others falling in behind still getting some love. I'm probably taking the Protest over my old Powders to AK in a few weeks.
    What other skis will you take to AK besides your Protests?
    Aggressive in my own mind

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Other Side
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I haven't skied the GPO a lot and I think I want to move them back from the mount on the dimple. I think I'm brain dead but with the all mtn skis from Praxis it's different flavors of greatness. For what it's worth my inbound go-to-skis the past two months are the Concept and Protest for the rare pow day with the others falling in behind still getting some love. I'm probably taking the Protest over my old Powders to AK in a few weeks.
    Thanks Jim,

    I think I'm going to go with some GPOs. Keith, basically agreed with your summation, in that the GPO and Concept are both meant to do a lot of the same things they just do them with different design characteristics (e.g. a different flavor of greatness). He also agreed with the consensus that the GPO gets the nod in pow/crud in bigger open spaces, and the concept in tighter terrain and trees. With both being totally capable (and mostly awesome) all over the mountain in pretty much any depth of snow.

    All in all I'm really psyched to change directions in the quiver. Less of a 'how much snow fell' type of approach, and more of a 'how big is the terrain' type of approach. Hence the EC (Concept) WC (GPO) 2 ski quiver.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SLicCity
    Posts
    306
    I think the the Concepts and GPO's compliment each other... even though I do have massive overlap in that size... Rocker 2 108's, RP112's, AKJJ's, New Lifes. Something is going to have to go... probably the 108's.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Incline Village, NV (Tahoe)
    Posts
    5,487
    I skied the GPOs today on firm groomers and corned soft groomers (giving my knee a looong rest before i trash it again this Saturday morning at Squaw) and it carves really well. So the front side aspect of the ski is a thumbs up.

    I did get some light pow days on it and it was great; off-piste cut up pow, chop and gnarly off piste bumps I have not skied the GPO and that's most of what we (TGR) tend to ski.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You donít stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    off-piste cut up pow, chop and gnarly off piste bumps I have not skied the GPO and that's most of what we (TGR) tend to ski.
    I have and I give them a thumbs up in cut pow, chop, wind buff, and crud. This is where this ski shines....

    To me, skiing bumps sucks no matter what ski I am on. There are skis that make bumps more fun but the gpo is not one of them. They are manageable and ski them better than my lhasas though...



    sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,633
    Keith just posted some flex comparisons which is helpful: http://praxisskis.com/company/pre-order-information/

    I'm leaning towards the medium flex, 187, no carbon. If I'm being honest with myself: my home mountain (Alpental) is steep, tight, and has shitloads of trees and bumps.... With less sidecut, more tail and slightly lower tip rocker it should still handle crud better than my 112s without being too much.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SLicCity
    Posts
    306
    I have both 112's and carbon GPO's, the GPO's handle crud way better than the 112's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Keith just posted some flex comparisons which is helpful: http://praxisskis.com/company/pre-order-information/

    I'm leaning towards the medium flex, 187, no carbon. If I'm being honest with myself: my home mountain (Alpental) is steep, tight, and has shitloads of trees and bumps.... With less sidecut, more tail and slightly lower tip rocker it should still handle crud better than my 112s without being too much.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Chicken Coop, Seattle
    Posts
    2,693
    For a stable charging ski, the 192 gpo is great in the bumps. Easier to throw around than the gambits, way easier than the billy goat...just a touch less nimble than the concepts/mtn jibs. If they are soft, shallow angle, just point it and rally. I've been having tons of fun hitting soft low angle bumps with speed and just motoring through.

    When it's firm, the gambit acts like it has the longer radius. But both are happy at speed. Float edge to the GPO. Crud busting is similar. Both are better than the 112RP
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SLicCity
    Posts
    306
    Don't have Gambits or Jibs... wish I did though, but I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    For a stable charging ski, the 192 gpo is great in the bumps. Easier to throw around than the gambits, way easier than the billy goat...just a touch less nimble than the concepts/mtn jibs. If they are soft, shallow angle, just point it and rally. I've been having tons of fun hitting soft low angle bumps with speed and just motoring through.

    When it's firm, the gambit acts like it has the longer radius. But both are happy at speed. Float edge to the GPO. Crud busting is similar. Both are better than the 112RP

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,655
    Mounting tomorrow at -2. Seems right lookin at it. So excited to ski it soon
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

    2018/2019 (24/32)

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Other Side
    Posts
    723
    187, Medium+, hybrid layup on the way. sooooo psyched.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,271
    whyturn -2 from the dimple I take it?

    I am curious to see what you think. Reading, it seems like the dimple is rather forward.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    187, Medium+, hybrid layup on the way. sooooo psyched.
    congrats buddy! we should be receiving them around the same time!!!!

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Other Side
    Posts
    723
    yup. Excited to read a midsummer SA review from you. keep the stoke going through the non-winter up here.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,655
    I compared it to my squads which are similar in a lot of ways. Discussed with ski guy. Seems right. Hopefully will ski it in the next few days. Will report back
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

    2018/2019 (24/32)

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    new mexico
    Posts
    122
    lookin forward to my first pair of Praxis skis!! 187 octopus ink black GPOs coming. thanks liv2ski for the code.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,633
    Do you guys prefer the carbon for low weight and pop? My DPS (hybrids) are the most lively skis I have had and I feel like something more damp would be easier on rough snow.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Do you guys prefer the carbon for low weight and pop? My DPS (hybrids) are the most lively skis I have had and I feel like something more damp would be easier on rough snow.

    I too bought they carbon hybrids from Praxis. I have some rp112' hybrids which I find pretty damp. Not NEARLY as damp as something stiff and burly like my renegades. But the dps hybrids aren't nearly as poppy as the DPS pure's....

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,623
    Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I compared it to my squads which are similar in a lot of ways. Discussed with ski guy. Seems right. Hopefully will ski it in the next few days. Will report back
    Interested in a comparison between the Squad and GPO once you've been out on them. I find my Squads to be just a touch hooky in the tip at very high speeds, long radius turns in slightly wind affected/sun affected snow. I attribute this to a too-abrupt transition between sidecut and tip taper. Since the GPO is loosely based off the Protest (a ski that nobody has ever described as hooky that I can remember), I'm wondering if the GPO would suit me better. I'm a bit concerned about the relatively tight turn radius.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    424
    Think I am going to throw down for a pair. Does anyone still have a spare code?

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    368
    Was on RPCs until they completely delaminated. Great ski in constant conditions (like blisterreview says) but hard to ski in variable snow and steep tight places. In the last days I skied my old El Dictators again. Wow, what a difference in stability! Makes me rethink the concept of a playful charger under the following aspect:
    • - playful charger (e.g. RPC): easy to ski, but requires more power to control in variable terrain and snow conditions. Does not provide the confidence to go down the fall line regardless unpredictable snow/terrain like aÖ
    • - real charger (e.g. El Dictator): terrible to ski at low speed and in bumps, otherwise no limits in reasonably open terrain. Stomps landings even to hardpack. Wrecks usually the legs and demands a good work out.


    Right now I rather tend to stick to the real charger concept. Though, as Iím getting older, Iím looking for a charger which requires less effort so I can reinvest the spare power to charge even harder respective save my knees for some years of skiing more.

    So where is the GPO in this setting?

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,186
    ^^Seems like the 12.13 191 Billy Goat to me. Haven't skied the El Dictator, but the 191 BG is a great charging ski with a playful side.

    But you could try the GPO in a stiff flex without carbon and mount a few cm behind the line if you're set on that ski.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    5,644
    Been on the Dictators and 186 BGs as well as spent a lot of time on old Head m103s (NASTY chargers). I def think the new BG fits the bill. The old one does too, but a bit more tail width (new one) will make it hook less in wide open dense uncut snow. Personally, I'd like a bit less shape overall on the BG, though, but then the groomer zoomers won't be as happy I guess.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Personally, I'd like a bit less shape overall on the BG, though
    I think this can be said about almost every ski I own. But I think the BG skis like it has a longer turn radius than stated (29.X). It certainly feels longer than the Renegade's 35 m turn radius.

    Out of curiosity, have you skied the new 12.13 BG with the RES? I haven't skied the old versions, so I can't offer a valid comparison, but I can say that this one is shaped much differently than the previous versions without RES. Much less taper.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •