Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    SupreChicken, Jim S, any chance you could a quick side by side with the concepts. from what I gather so far, the GPOs float better and are a bit stiffer for bigger lines, and Concepts get the nod on hardpack.

I have some shorter (177) Concepts that are now my only ski. I'm so psyched on them. Endless turn shape possibilites, unreal edge hold on really hard snow, and more than enough float. Just had a 18inch day on them and they were great.

I'm EC based but looking to pick up one more pair of skis as a West Coast/Bigger terrain travel ski, and I think it will either be some 187 Concepts or some GPOs. I love the idea of a playful charging oriented ski like the GPO. I've seen Tabke ski the GPOs in huge alpine lines, just wondering if you guys could comment on how well the Concept holds up in that type of terrain, especially compared to the GPO, and what would be your choice between the two as a travel ski where u gotta go with whatever Ullr gives you.-Thanks

I have been on a 186 ren. i like them, but they aren't quite my jam. Tiny sweet spot. If I ever submerged an edge in soft snow, there was no saving it. Yard sale guaranteed. Not as stable a landing platform. I tip my cap to the dudes that ride those as a quiver of one. It does get easier with more days on them. My favorite pair was auvgeek's ravens that had developed camber. I like his owls ok. My own set of ravens were the most rockered, softest ones I tried and I didn't really enjoy them even on a deep day. Call me a huge pussy if you must, there isn't much forgiveness in that ski. And I have some shitty habits when it comes to skiing form.

As far as a float comparison, I think they are worse than the gambits, on par the concepts. I found that if I rail the front of the ren, the tip will sink. The others can tolerate a fwd stance without the dive. Not a naysayer of that ski, but in my experience (as a fwd style skier with bad habits), it wasn't what I wanted, so I sold my pair.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Shu shu -

Now that I've done more detuning...I think the gpo and concept are comparable on hardpack. I'm no longer having the issues I had initially. Night skiing at Stevens just now with my dad in town kept me on more firm snow than I wanted, but they destroyed the groomers and soft cut up chop. If I were cloned and racing myself, The 192 gpo chicken would beat the 187 concept chicken. It'd be close, though.

Cool thanks so nearly equivalent on hardpack and more float for the gpo. Im sensing your leaning in that direction as an alpine focused travel ski?
    Last edited by Shu Shu; 03-23-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Gun to my head, I can only keep one of the two---I'm very sad, but I part with the concepts.

I haven't had much time on my GPO's, but for me:
    Stability GPO>Concepts
    Crud GPO>Concepts
    Float GPO>Concepts
    Trees Concepts>GPO
    Hardpack Concepts slight edge on the GPO's
    Bumps... I don't do much but might give the edge to the Concepts because of their shorter length.
    I also feel that the GPO's are a bit more playful for me.

Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

For me EC is trees and hardpack and bumps, so I'll keep the Concepts on this coast and pick up the GPOs for the other. 2 ski quiver solved for next year.

ps. sandflea, that Rupret avatar really cracks me up.

Sounds like a great two ski quiver! A testament to how versatile those skis are.

pre-order complete!!!!! Can't wait for SA this year!!

GPO (Length: 192_CM
    Graphic: As_shown
    Flex: Medium/Stiff
    Layup: Hybrid_Carbon/Fiberglass)

Anyone have an extra code?

TIA,

Mark

Congrats, BB. Ill get you a comparison with back to back runs gpo vs bibbys next weekend.

Are people skiing the stock fiberglass layup or the carbon/fiberglass hybrid? Comparisons between the two? How much weight savings is there/will there be between the two? Likely picking up a pair to walk the line between a resort charger and a deep day PNW touring ski.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_steve View Post
    Are people skiing the stock fiberglass layup or the carbon/fiberglass hybrid? Comparisons between the two? How much weight savings is there/will there be between the two? Likely picking up a pair to walk the line between a resort charger and a deep day PNW touring ski.
    Ok I swear I've read the thread in its entirety 2 or 3 times already. Completely spaced that this has been discussed some already and a reference to the Praxis 2013 thread given. Specifically though, how about the weight difference between the two in the GPO? I'm assuming the carbon/fiberglass layup would be the better choice for touring due to weight savings.

I have 192 GPO std layup at 10.3
    Super has carbon 192 at 9.7 so .5-.6 lb variable
    He claims his are plenty stable
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

My carbon 192's came in at 9.8lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I have 192 GPO std layup at 10.3
    Super has carbon 192 at 9.7 so .5-.6 lb variable
    He claims his are plenty stable
    Good to know, thanks. 0.5 lb difference is enough to actually matter (without feeling like I'm counting ounces...)

After a few more days of skiing I'm feeling set on the road to quiver expansion. I'm looking at the 187 GPO. What I can't quite decide between is the stock medium-stiff flex or opting for the medium flex for easier turning in tight spaces and floating in deep snow.

I'm 5' 11" and 175 lbs without gear. This ski will be used mostly at Alpental or Crystal in WA on days with new snow or maybe the day after new snow if the bc is opening up. As I may have already posted I currently ski the 184cm DPS 112RP hybrid. I love the insane float and fast turning, but would like something a little more stable in crud and mixed conditions. the dimensions of the GPO look like the perfect iteration of that ski. A little lower tip rocker, much lower tail rocker, a little more weight and slightly less sidecut. What I can't tell is which would ski a bit stiffer than those, medium or medium-stiff GPOs. I don't want a very stiff ski because I make a lot of turns in steep terrain and want to feel like I can ski all day without the ski kicking my ass.

^^ Interesting that you are looking as well.

I have the 190 hybrid and selected the 192 GPO in the medium-stiff hybrid carbon/fiber.

The things i didn't like about the 112 as much is how soft it is and the rather rearward mount. Hopefully the GPO is the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    ^^ Interesting that you are looking as well.

I have the 190 hybrid and selected the 192 GPO in the medium-stiff hybrid carbon/fiber.

The things i didn't like about the 112 as much is how soft it is and the rather rearward mount. Hopefully the GPO is the answer!
    In deep snow and trees (which I ski a lot of) the soft tips are actually kind of fun. In steep trees I feel like a ninja on those things. However, with chopped crud and uneven firm snow (which I ski ever more of at the resort) I just bounce all over the place. They are poppy and extremely fun, but getting only a damper ski with a little less sidecut this weekend reminded me of how nice that is for rough resort conditions.

I went for a day tour on Sunday with the 112s and skied some powder with a narrow exit through the forest. They really shine there and will continue to serve me in that capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I don't want a very stiff ski because I make a lot of turns in steep terrain and want to feel like I can ski all day without the ski kicking my ass.
    Although it is a big mtn comp ski, the GPO is on the playful side... They are stiff but very slarvy. The 192s don't kick my ass at all. I think you will be fine at the stock stiffness but I am sure medium will be stiffer than pure 112s.

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Trigger pulled on GPOs in 187. Going to be my daily driver, hence the length. Stoked.

Awaiting the squad 7 comparison....

looks like an awesome ski. wondering how it compares to the last couple years 190 bibby pro.

Got my coupon and am thinking about adding a pair of 187 GPO to my quiver of Praxis skis. I currently have a daily driver of 180 Backcountrys, 185 Powderboards, and yet to be mounted 187 Wootest 1.0.

Looking for an all-day CO/WY/UT resort powder/everything's tracked in the afternoon ski. I only get about 2 weeks a year and can usually only bring 2 pairs of skis when I travel.

Can anyone compare it to the Wootest I have yet to ski? Would the Wootest or the GPO be a better 2nd ski to go with the Backcountrys?

GPO wins that one hands down IMO. Not to knock the Wootest, but the GPO is gonna be both a surfier big day ski, and way more of a crud crusher when it is that less than great of day.

I have only skinned a couple days on the Wootest 1.0s & used them inbounds a few times. For my world and setup, they skin light and easy (but I'm a few day a year hack at that). They ski soft snow really nicely. But get thrown around and can be hooky in crud, uneven crusty/icy stuff, etc. Not that you can't make it through that stuff - but they are not confidence inspiring in it. The GPO is.

For my .02, the GPO sounds very much like the ski you say you are looking for (based on one day on 'em)...

As usual, I'm curious what others think too.