Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question for the Motorcycle Mags

Been pining after a bike for many years. I’ve taken the course gotten license etc. Believe I want a cruiser for short errands, weekends through the mountains, possibly commuting to work (major office job, not sure how realistic that is). Two questions - I cipher a used Honda Shadow is a good bet for a low-cost, reliable, entry-level bike, but am open to any suggestions you may have, and how much power do I want/need - Is 750cc a waste of time? I’m 6-2 175 if that matters.

Any wisdom/thoughts/experiences you have much appreciated!
    Last edited by MARSHALL TUCKER; 03-04-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    "Can't you see..."

Honestly, I'd get a standard, like this:
    http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Pro...?scid=6&id=720

or an SV650S, as it will be a bit quicker and more agile than a cruise, while still having a comfy riding position. Having a real windscreen is great too. You don't need that much power, as motorcycles are ungodly fast compared to cars (in general).

X2 to what schuss said, especially the SV650. Aside from that excellent advice to not buy a cruiser, I think you're on the right track to look at something Japanese. A decent 750cc will blow your hair back just fine.

Any thoughts on a big dual sport? Really fun, great commuter and a blast exploring in the mountains. KLR 650 is cheap new, incredibly reliable, easy to maintain and comfy enough to ride all day. BMW and KTM makes great ones but a bit more $$.

you asking or offering advice to get a DS?

DS bikes in traffic are good IMO. The higher riding position in traffic - its nice to see over the top of cars. KLRs can be a bit buzzy (vibrations) at highway speeds, but they are cheap, reliable & easy to fix.

As for city commuting... you NEED eyes in the back of your head. I spent years commuting on my push bike before riding a moto in traffic & I'm glad I had that experience.

500-750cc bike is good to start, more than enough power to leave cars behind. If you get anything too small (eg 250) it'll struggle at highway speeds.

Take riding a motorcycle very seriously. Ease into it, increasing your riding, then stay riding to keep your skills sharp. I recommend reading lee parks total control, and even taking one of his classes if he swings by your town. Your first bike should be something you are willing to drop, a 650 would be a good size.

Its not if you will go down, its when and where. So wear your gear too.

A friend of mine has one of THESE , a BMW 650GS and rides it with or without a sidecar attached and it has plenty of power. Been reliable for him, holds value well and he joined a BMW riders club that has members all over the world who will help if you have a problem on the road. He got a call last summer and drove 35 miles with his trailer to haul a guys bike to a shop when it broke down.

Get the right gear, ie no flip flops, wife beater t's or shorts.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

^ Conco E Do you really think so? OTOH I'm older with a pretty good sense of my own mortality these days. On the other, a guy I've been on some committees with now can't walk without a cane, and a deer took out a pretty big dog in my company not so long ago.

It is something I think about constantly, and maybe one reason why I've dragged my feet on buying one the last 5 years or so.

Appreciate all the comments!
    Last edited by MARSHALL TUCKER; 03-04-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    "Can't you see..."

Ride with your head on a swivel and live in your peripheral vision. Try to stay away from busy areas, as people WILL miss you and the more cars there are, the higher a chance of you getting hit by one (IMO). Always assume that every car does not see you.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    ^ Conco E Do you really think so? OTOH I'm older with a pretty good sense of my own mortality these days. On the other, a guy I've been on some committees with now can't walk without a cane, and a deer took out a pretty big dog in my company not so long ago.

It is something I think about constantly, and maybe one reason why I've dragged my feet on buying one the last 5 years or so.

Appreciate all the comments!
    If you were buying a BOSS Mustang or something, which has less power to weight, I'd tell you to go do a race school for a day. Even a 650, has a ton of power, and the physics are completely different than driving. There is no such thing as a bad turn on a bike.

I started up again at 35, and I eased into it, but on a pretty big bike actually. Sunday rides on the country roads etc..BMW's with ABS brakes were worth it to me, I went to a Total Control Race Clinic, and I spent good money on the right gear. Vanson, Shoei, boots, gloves etc..A yr later, I got a 1200GT, and was riding the smokies, Arkansas mountains etc...and having a blast. I was still not up to par with guys I rode with though, and those bikes can easily get away from you. Know your limits is all I am saying, and pay for good intructions.

Without going to that clinic, I'd probably have some road rash. I'm just saying do it right. Unless you thinking about a moped to buzz around town.

Marshall,

I'm in basically the same boat as you. I've thought a lot about getting a road bike but haven't ridden since I was a kid (and then I was riding a little dirt bike). I've decided that I'd want a cheap DS. A buddy of mine road around the world on a Suzuki DR650 (http://thoresononamotorcycle.wordpress.com/). He's not convinced that it's that great of a bike but the cost/reward ratio is undeniable.

At this point the only thing holding me back is the expense of getting not only a bike but all the gear and training to go with it. It's a lot of money to throw down for something that probably won't get used all that often. Maybe when the kids are grown up it will be easier...

Suzuki SV650 is a good recommendation. Also a bike that handles great and has some nice touches is a Honda Hawk GT.

How cumphy is something like that SV650 say on a 4-5 hour ride?
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    How cumphy is something like that SV650 say on a 4-5 hour ride?
    Pretty comfy. They're semi-upright - a little closer to sportbike than cruiser, but a pretty good middle-ground. On a cruiser, you're sitting back a bit more and on a sport bike you're sitting forward a bit more. On something like the SV650 (or most of the dual sports people are recommending), you're sitting fairly upright. That means you can lean forward into more a of sporty position, or sit back a bit in more of a cruiser-y position. I think that ability to move around is key; moving around and sitting in different positions makes long rides much more enjoyable.

If you're looking for something fairly comfy, you might also look at the suzuki V-strom650, which is a nearly identical engine to the SV, but a little more upright riding position. They're (IMO) pretty ugly though. I think the stroms (as well as many of the dual sports) are a bit taller, so keep that in mind if you have short legs.

haven't ridden one myself but I'm sure they will be more comfortable than a KLR or DR.
    I like the naked (no-screen) bikes, but I'm 6'2" & most standard windshields are too short for me The wind buffering hits my helmet & is hell. Buffering is much better (quieter) without a windshield. You can of course get a different windshield, but that = more $$.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewall View Post
    Honda Hawk GT.
    If you could find one!! that, and they are over 20 years old at this point, maybe not the best option for somebody just looking to get into motorcyling.. nice bikes though.. I have a superhawk. (and a dyna)

To the OP: you got all the advice you need on this page. Get a 650. The two suzukis mentioned (SV or v strom) are top choices, as are Beemers (couple of BWW models as well). take some riding lessons. Ride like everybody on the road cant see you AND is out to get you. Have fun. Do wheelies.

I ride a bike nearly daily - have a sport bike now but have had standards, naked bikes, and DSes. Here's my take:

Unless you're going to ride on dirt roads pretty regularly there is nothing a dual sport offers you over a standard bike - and the handling sucks in comparison. Too tall for highway corners, you're a sail that catches the wind, and the DS tires are almost dangerous on wet pavement. They're fine if you're gonna buzz around town OR on a dirt road, but honestly they're not really all that good on either one. Sure you can get a "fake" DS like the V-Strom or BMW's GS650 (they're really good off road, but you need 2 sets of tires) but why?

The SV650 is a great bike, they come in different trims so if you want a naked one or one with half fairing it's all good.

The previously mentioned Hawk GT is just the Honda version of the SV650, but the Suzy has a better motor and suspension. It's also boring (as is the SV after a while)

if you get a 500cc or smaller road bike you're going to wish for something bigger within a year. 750 is a great size for a motor, and they're usually cheap. See if you can find an older 750 Honda Nighthawk - that's a great starter bike.

Ever think about a Triumph Thruxton? Sweet retro styling, GREAT motor, and fucking fun... you won't outgrow that one.

I'd get an SV 650 or step your game up a little bit and pick up a '99-01 Honda VFR. I know you said cruiser, and the shadow is a bike I've thought about buying before, but I'm 5'7", 145 lbs.

Said VFR will be my next bike. Feel free to ignore.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

^^^ I had a '98 VFR (first year of the 800). That was an awesome bike and I miss it. That thing ran like a top despite very little maintenance on my part. Spent a lot of hours touring around the western half of the country on windy roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    The previously mentioned Hawk GT is just the Honda version of the SV650, but the Suzy has a better motor and suspension. It's also boring (as is the SV after a while)
    Hawk GT pre dates the sazook by several years. was only made from 1988 to 91 or 92. the SV came out around a decade later (& is still made today), which would be why the engine and suspension are better

Had a VFR 800. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Hawk GT pre dates the sazook by several years. was only made from 1988 to 91 or 92. the SV came out around a decade later (& is still made today), which would be why the engine and suspension are better
    Damn dood - you're right. Guess I always saw them around when the SV crowd would get together at a local shop where I got my old Nighthawk worked on (Clinton Cucles.) Always assumed they were the same age. The "SuperHawk" (Honda VTR1000F) was certainly a competitor to the Suzuki TL1000S (both '97s)

I decided not to get a road bike myself. Too tempting.
    I did finally break down, and got these last Friday for my daughter, and me, or my wife to ride.
    Does not have anything to do with your thread, but I am excited, its been a long time. I cannot believe the power of these beasts.
    I am getting used to it, and have not pegged it yet, and it still astounds me.
    Kawasaki KX 450, KX 140.

I remember the first time I rode a CRF 450. Such smooth power, front wheel never seemed to stay on the ground. Really fun bike, but yes, especially coming from a street bike, big dirt bike power is startling.

I rode a buddy's very hopped up YZ250 F a couple years later and that thing really scared me. It was extremely touchy. Even though I can probably only push a 250 to do half of what it's capable of, I'd still buy a 450 - they are just more enjoyable.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."