Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Northern BC 2013/2014 Stoke, Conditions

I figured there may only be XXX-er and Moosepit that will ever check this thread but oh well. I'll start this off with my best touring day this season. Conditions have been ridiculous here lately with about a meter last storm (ending 4 days ago), and a snow pack that's settling nicely. Today was a day of many big lines getting skied. Super Bowl, Thunder Bowl, Cherry Bowl, Hidden Lake and numerous lines on Geronimo got slayed.

Our group of 3 stuck to a north aspect area called The Zymacord. We skied Zymbuck 1, Zymbuck 3, The Dark Side and then did a homeward run down North Bowl. I didn't bring a camera today so all the images were my buddy Dan's.

Shames is rocking right now.

Me on Zymbuck 1

Then we scoped out Zymbuck 3

And skied it

On the way to The Dark Side we were treated to a most amazing sun dog. I'd never seen one in the shape of an eagle before. Plus the ice crystals in the air were dancing like snow sprites. All this without large amounts of medication.

The large rock in the back ground is the north face of The Dome (you'll climb the Dome if you come to Shames). Skiing off the north face of the Dome is not recommended.

Unless you're Mark, then you should go for it.

Me dropping into the Dark Side

Last run of the day was down North Bowl. I am sorry to say the only photos are of me. Mark launched at least a 40 foot cliff and Dan a 30 footer dropping into perfect snow. Sadly all you get to see is a fat old guy (albeit happy) skiing pow. What a great fucking day it was.

OK OK, I'll pack a camera next time.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Glad to see someone started a Northern B.C. thread. you can add me to the list of those that will be checking it out. Beauty pics!

That old fat guy rips the pow!

Looks wicked
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

damn! beautiful

Looking nize Gary! I need to come get some of that

Nice stoke. A close friend of mine moved to Terrace this year. Won't make it up for a visit this season, but next season HAS to be on!

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    Looking nize Gary! I need to come get some of that
    Hard not to look nize when you're rocking the Worth Georges, those skis are amazing my friend. You know you got a place here buddy!

Yeah, hey Angle! See you out this way, drag XXX-er out of his sobrietal haze and get your asses over. If not I'll see you at the schussboomer.

Thanks Lee and Z-bo.
    Blender is your buddy the new ski tech @ all seasons?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Not impressed with your snow and terrain and stuff.

But for cereal, it's looking like winter is back at shames.

Now if only it would swing by peeegeee and hang out for a while.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

hey after I knock off the challenge I will be sobriety free and mebe I can drag some of the lads out west
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Wow, Nice....I need me some Shames. Tickets are about $500 from Van on Hawk Air..mmmmmmh!
    Those are some big sluffs on Zymbuck.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    Wow, Nice....I need me some Shames. Tickets are about $500 from Van on Hawk Air..mmmmmmh!
    Those are some big sluffs on Zymbuck.
    Fuck.

Let's do it.

Leave next Thursday? Or this.....?

So much fun last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Sick looking! Definitely some sluffage going on there in a couple of those shots. I should check out the drive from Spokane...

Yo moosepit, who knew PG was in the banana belt? Yeah, we're finally getting our normal dumpage.
    Al, you know what I think.
    Scotsman, sluff management was req'd on Z-3. Dan's track was in between Mark (lookers Lt) and me (Rt) and was mostly obliterated by sluff in the top middle of the photo. He went first and the sluff he started was probably sz 1.5 that ran about 1500 vert ft. It started slow but gained momentum. Dan avoided that sluff then triggered another small one below the little bump he aired off, he rode that sluff for about 30m then skied out.

PNW/Scotsman - the weather is supposed to turn Friday (another storm coming in). Then it's supposed to clear again. I'm in Van March 12/13 and am going to be a bit tied up on March 15 - 17 as I'm running a little speed ski comp (yeah go figure powder touring mecca and I have to run a speed ski comp). Not to say that you guys wouldn't have lots of people to go out with. Mi casa es su casa, although I'll have a couple of friends from Van here March 14 to 19 so it could be cozy I'm not going to work until mid April though so later dates could work too (though won't be home April 7 - 14 as I'm Heli-touring in Stewart that week

goldmember, it's a drive that's for sure but sick it can be.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Thanks Gary...we are actively plotting right now and will get back to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    ...goldmember, it's a drive that's for sure but sick it can be.
    Yeah, I checked. 1,049 miles about 20 hours. Flying is probably worse, though. About $1,000 and a circus loop to get there. This would take some planning...

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Yeah, I checked. 1,049 miles about 20 hours. Flying is probably worse, though. About $1,000 and a circus loop to get there. This would take some planning...
    Drive to Vancouver and check into Hawkair to Terrace.... still expensive $590 but cheaper than Air Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    Drive to Vancouver and check into Hawkair to Terrace.... still expensive $590 but cheaper than Air Canada.
    Yeah, still... About a 7 hour shot to drive to YVR from Spokane, not including time-loss at Blaine, parking expense at the airport plus the cost of taking gear (gotta shoot it if we did it) plus skis, rental car while there, etc. Probably best off taking the extra time to drive it. Plus, it would be a nice drive!

gotta shoot it if we did it
    For the innernetz!

Otherwise it doesn't really happen?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    For the innernetz!

Otherwise it doesn't really happen?
    Well, yeah, there too but more directly for the TV show.

the TV show.
    What channel?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    What channel?
    We're on NWCN on Saturdays from 10:30-11:00 pm and Sundays 5:30-6:00 pm through the end of March. Also show on about 250 syndicated channels around the country at various times throughout the season. Also on The Ski Channel on Comcast On Demand periodically. Right now, here anyway, we have a show on On Demand about Revelstoke.

We're on NWCN on Saturdays from 10:30-11:00 pm and Sundays 5:30-6:00 pm through the end of March. Also show on about 250 syndicated channels around the country at various times throughout the season. Also on The Ski Channel on Comcast On Demand periodically. Right now, here anyway, we have a show on On Demand about Revelstoke.
    Cool I'll look out for it.

Here are a couple of shows from two and three years ago, to give you an idea. Lots of the stuff that shows on NWCN and around the country are remixes of some of the original stuff so there's no telling what you might see but these were the main ones from that time frame. They're half-hours shows, sans advertisements so are approx. 24 minutes long.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    am going to be a bit tied up on March 15 - 17 as I'm running a little speed ski comp (yeah go figure powder touring mecca and I have to run a speed ski comp).
    Did you get those posters in the mail for the Kermode tuck ?

BTW Eric was laying down the smack talk, sez you didn't let the Smithers ski club know about the Tuck so nobody came, sez he has done 140 on that course and now with an extra 50 lbs of muscle he can go 160 ... a little arrogance is a good thing in fighter pilots and DH racers eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Did you get those posters in the mail for the Kermode tuck ?

BTW Eric was laying down the smack talk, sez you didn't let the Smithers ski club know about the Tuck so nobody came, sez he has done 140 on that course and now with an extra 50 lbs of muscle he can go 160 ... a little arrogance is a good thing in fighter pilots and DH racers eh?
    You bet, sent them thursday. Hey fuck oh dear, I told Claire C AND Tom H last year weeks before the event and thought they'd spread the word. Plus I had posters up at Mountain Eagle, Alpenhorn and Valhalla up at least 3 weeks before the event. Not my fault you fucking Bulkley Valley jock/hippie/rednecks don't communicate with each other

Plus, Eric better be aware of the rollers at the bottom. 2m less base this year is going to make the course a little more um, sporty.

Oh, and I still haven't heard from your race coach there (2 emails later).

www.mymountaincoop.ca