Page 44 of 78 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1946
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	214266

xxx-er and another buddy on what was probably the last day of cutting (for me anyway). Didn't quite get the pass fully paid off but I'll take the earlyish start to the season.

Right on AP and Al and bearded man. Looking forward to skiing some of that shit you guys have been doing for the last few years. Hopefully this season.

AP said "oh what great light gotta get the picture!" and that was the last good weather because it snowed 15cents

which is great for the skiing but sucks if you are trying to run a saw

the chain drive area on mine plugged up completely 3 times

couldn't feel my hands except to check my watch ... when are we leaving!
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ap - you take the pic with yer new fancy phone? It's a great pic.

great light eh?

until it wasn't and then you suffer and share that ya it sucks but its not as bad as 3 yars ago when we pushed thru the last of eleven sisters in 25 cms of wet snow

I think my pinky got hit with a chunk of wood while bucking hurts/looks phucked up,... how will I ever hold it out whilst drinking tea?

weather station sez we are up to 19 cents now, could be the end of this yars cutting program ... I guess them trees will be there next year eh

Name:	IMG_0159 (1).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	214279

The trees will certainly be there next year thanks to the folks who left this mess behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parkng View Post

The trees will certainly be there next year thanks to the folks who left this mess behind.
    Someone should write a letter or something...that's despicable.
    Master of mediocrity.

Name:	ski 2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	215695

Just so you know I still lurk here...

Nice AP!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Awesome A.P. glad to see some soft snow on top of that B.V. Boilerplate!

Skied some awesome valley bottom terrain the okanagan today. Reason i'm posting is 'cause the north coast weather and snow made a cameo appearance in vernon, so I felt some northern bc stoke. Warm temps, 100 percent humidity and wet snow. 1300 vertical feet of a gloriously pitched 30 degree slope with 25cms snowpack, just buoyant enough to keep skis planing in between hitting rocks and grass in the belly of the turns...and I loved every ground scraping minute of it.

Up north I make friends with wolverines...valley bottom skiing in the okanagan means making friends with the lone cow...as you can see in the zoom pic, he had eyes on the entire time I was touring. Good safety spotter that cow...or maybe he just didn't like the angle of my skin trail.
    Name:  P1070904.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  36.0 KBName:  P1070904.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  44.5 KB

Coastal clague...
    Name:  P1070913.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  41.1 KB

Northern B.C. Stoke!
    Name:  P1070916.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  44.5 KB

Up north we gotta battle devil's club, down here you gotta battle barbed wire fences everywhere...can't escape the thorny things no matter where ya go it seems...
    Name:  P1070900.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  77.5 KB

Up north you gotta suffer up to 200 meters of lengthy approach before ascending...down here you just gotta cross the paved highway and hop a fence...
    Name:  P1070897.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  49.2 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-11-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Starting to shape up nicely at hbm...hope for more snow before opening though.

Crater lake trail is in good shape...gets bony with windblown up in the praire though. beware...

did a few sidecountry laps...aside from finding a few small trees buried in the snow, good times all round.

triple boot top over knee...not bad for first turns of the season.

Almost 70cms of snowfall at base of shames today. Just sayin'.

From brown to upside down frown.
    Master of mediocrity.

Shames update: legit report from shames employee: over 100 cms of snowfall in 24 hours at top of the tee bar.

From Zero to Hero.
    Master of mediocrity.

Hi guys, I moved few days ago to Prince Rupert and I'm looking for ski-touring partners, anyone skinning here?

A good pint of beer offered and a nice chat in town to start ;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Paps View Post
    Hi guys, I moved few days ago to Prince Rupert and I'm looking for ski-touring partners, anyone skinning here?

A good pint of beer offered and a nice chat in town to start ;-D
    Hey paps! No rupertites that I know post up here however there's a Facebook group (Backtalk) that's pretty active that has Rupert folk contributing. Another easy one is to just show up at the hill, don't be an idiot and folks will show you around. It's a pretty welcoming community.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Hey paps! No rupertites that I know post up here however there's a Facebook group (Backtalk) that's pretty active that has Rupert folk contributing. Another easy one is to just show up at the hill, don't be an idiot and folks will show you around. It's a pretty welcoming community.
    Hey Paps, what are your stats?

Would help in directing ya to the appropriate partners/groups.

1. Big vert/small vert oriented?
    2. Meadow skipper/big line charger?
    3. Do you have fat skis? (essential)
    4. Fast/med/slow pace skinner?
    5. Resume of ski touring experience: years ski touring, routes
    6. Have you skied Mt. Robson's North Face?
    7. Ski touring partner references
    8. Fair weather/any weather skinner? Do you whine and complain about skiing in the rain, breakable crust and/or whiteout conditions or do you laugh in the face of adversity like Garyfromterrace?
    9. Avy skills/training?
    10. Fitness level?
    11. Sense of humor? P.C./punny/sarcastic/dark humor/satire? or no sense of humor. There are a few guys around with none.
    12. Would you or would you not vote for Donald Trump?

Etc....
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post
    Early start to the season around here. The highs and lows of early season skiing were very high and very low!

Highs
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BaUvnZJH...east.coast.dan

Lows
    Attachment 213993
    That's a great pic

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I'll check for sure the Fb group you mentioned, thanks. What do you mean with "the hill"? Shames?

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Hey Paps, what are your stats?

Would help in directing ya to the appropriate partners/groups.

1. Big vert/small vert oriented?
    2. Meadow skipper/big line charger?
    3. Do you have fat skis? (essential)
    4. Fast/med/slow pace skinner?
    5. Resume of ski touring experience: years ski touring, routes
    6. Have you skied Mt. Robson's North Face?
    7. Ski touring partner references
    8. Fair weather/any weather skinner? Do you whine and complain about skiing in the rain, breakable crust and/or whiteout conditions or do you laugh in the face of adversity like Garyfromterrace?
    9. Avy skills/training?
    10. Fitness level?
    11. Sense of humor? P.C./punny/sarcastic/dark humor/satire? or no sense of humor. There are a few guys around with none.
    12. Would you or would you not vote for Donald Trump?

Etc....
    1. It depends, usually I skin elev gains between 1000m and 1500m, so I’d say mid-vert

2. I’m not a big charger/super power/speed skier but if I can choose, depending on the conditions, I prefer lines in the alpine. In any case I love being outdoor in the mountains so if the weather sucks or it’s not safe I enjoy even an easy day in the meadows

3. Essential? I don’t totally agree but yes, I have been skiing fat skis for more than 10 years. Now I use a pair of Cham 107 with low tech bindings

4. Med-pace. If there’s no problem regarding safety, I go out there to enjoy the nature not to look at the timing: I hate competition in the mountains!!!

5. I’m Italian and I’ve skied my entire life in the Alps. I started skiing on piste when I was 5, in my early 20s I went into freeride and ski-touring: I’m 35.
    I moved to Vancouver three years ago and there I started discovering the Northwest Coast but 99% of my experience and routes are in the Alps

6. Normally I like to ski that at lunch break!

7. People with good knowledge of mountains, conditions and safety procedures; with sense of humor, definitely no show-off people nor superfast skinners who prefer saving 30 minutes instead of enjoying nature

8. Bad weather doesn’t bother me. I understand that maybe here bad-weather can be worse than in the Alps but generally speaking I don’t mind bad conditions

9. Some courses in Italy with mountain guides when I started practicing freeride and then every year some meetings with friends to “keep knowledge fresh”

10. I’d say good, on the average

11. Do you work for some HR department? are you going to ask me my strengths and weaknesses? ;-D

12. I had Berlusconi for years, to each their own rich bastards ;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parkng View Post
    That's a great pic
    Thanks! Here's more, from Powderking this time. The storm cycle this weekend dumped a ton of snow! According to my scientific pole plunging there was about 100cm of unconsolidated snow up there Sunday. But by end of day it was settling fast, should make for a good base. Still lots of early season hidden hazards and air pockets in the snow so keep yer head up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbucjVqH...east.coast.dan

Excuse the shameless plugging of my instagram posts and of the local shop who helps me out a ton! I can post pictures straight to forum if y'all prefer

got a pretty good dump in town & on HBM last weekend

Skinned/skied a couple runs T side on saturday and 3 runs chair side on sunday with AP,

probably 70 cents at the bottom ... good skiing all the way to the road

The T can definaltley open this weekend and possibly a few runs on chair side

Excellent stats, Paps! haha; of course all in jest and a hearty welcome to the area! I'm out of town for the time being, should be back by the weekend. If yer interested, i'm keen on ski touring asap..potentially beginning sunday/monday? I'll give you the full rundown on the local non scene, scene.

And for the record, Gary, I'm a Rupertite temporarily residing in Terrace...they can try to pry my Kaien Island residency card from my cold dead hands one day but until that time, my fingers and toes remain webbed!!!

And fyi, 'the hill' is shames mountain...though being based out of rupert, 'the hill' would be the Everestian like behemoth looming above rupert...Mt. Hays. If the hill gets snow maybe 3 out of 5 winters) there are some excellent little technical mini golf steeps, trees and lumpy dumpy small vert terrain features to ski...an added bonus is there's a road the goes to the top. It's a bit rough so 4x4 suggested but you can drive to snowline and skin from truck; it's a great quick access option zone to just get out and stretch the legs and kick and glide with skins on or head to to the summit and drop some lines. Add a cloud ceiling above the mountain and the ambient light from town turn the upper plateau subalpine meadows into a mystical magical winter wonderland in the dark hours of the day...minimal headlamp light required. If there's snowpack right down to sea level, you can ski the full 2100 vertical feet down a steep, gnarly old gondola right of way that dumps you back down to wantage road...approx 10 minute drive from down town.

As for skis, you might wanna trade in those little skinny pencil sticks for something between 115-138mm at the waist until spring...most regulars' daily drivers are over 115 at minimum...you'll see. I'm frequently undergunned with 115 and usually run 128. If nothing else, there's great advantage to having a bigger snowshoe for breaking trail in our admittedly more than infrequently bottomless, upside down or slabby conditions, in my experience/humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Paps View Post
    I'll check for sure the Fb group you mentioned, thanks. What do you mean with "the hill"? Shames?

1. It depends, usually I skin elev gains between 1000m and 1500m, so I’d say mid-vert

2. I’m not a big charger/super power/speed skier but if I can choose, depending on the conditions, I prefer lines in the alpine. In any case I love being outdoor in the mountains so if the weather sucks or it’s not safe I enjoy even an easy day in the meadows

3. Essential? I don’t totally agree but yes, I have been skiing fat skis for more than 10 years. Now I use a pair of Cham 107 with low tech bindings

4. Med-pace. If there’s no problem regarding safety, I go out there to enjoy the nature not to look at the timing: I hate competition in the mountains!!!

5. I’m Italian and I’ve skied my entire life in the Alps. I started skiing on piste when I was 5, in my early 20s I went into freeride and ski-touring: I’m 35.
    I moved to Vancouver three years ago and there I started discovering the Northwest Coast but 99% of my experience and routes are in the Alps

6. Normally I like to ski that at lunch break!

7. People with good knowledge of mountains, conditions and safety procedures; with sense of humor, definitely no show-off people nor superfast skinners who prefer saving 30 minutes instead of enjoying nature

8. Bad weather doesn’t bother me. I understand that maybe here bad-weather can be worse than in the Alps but generally speaking I don’t mind bad conditions

9. Some courses in Italy with mountain guides when I started practicing freeride and then every year some meetings with friends to “keep knowledge fresh”

10. I’d say good, on the average

11. Do you work for some HR department? are you going to ask me my strengths and weaknesses? ;-D

12. I had Berlusconi for years, to each their own rich bastards ;-D
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-20-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    got a pretty good dump in town & on HBM last weekend

Skinned/skied a couple runs T side on saturday and 3 runs chair side on sunday with AP,

probably 70 cents at the bottom ... good skiing all the way to the road

The T can definaltley open this weekend and possibly a few runs on chair side
    Guess my phone was broken saturday........never rang.

Anyways, just got off the hill.I feel sorry for poeple who had to work today (no I dont...) stellar conditions below treeline, wind affected above treeline with a light hoar that formed last night.Snow is a little touchy in thin spots, exposing the rock underneath.

the hill is looking good for opening ya bastards....gone for 2 weeks tomorrow. Save some fresh for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post
    Thanks! Here's more, from Powderking this time. The storm cycle this weekend dumped a ton of snow! According to my scientific pole plunging there was about 100cm of unconsolidated snow up there Sunday. But by end of day it was settling fast, should make for a good base. Still lots of early season hidden hazards and air pockets in the snow so keep yer head up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbucjVqH...east.coast.dan

Excuse the shameless plugging of my instagram posts and of the local shop who helps me out a ton! I can post pictures straight to forum if y'all prefer
    Sweet, hopefully it keeps dumping for next Thursday!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Excellent stats, Paps! haha; of course all in jest and a hearty welcome to the area! I'm out of town for the time being, should be back by the weekend. If yer interested, i'm keen on ski touring asap..potentially beginning sunday/monday? I'll give you the full rundown on the local non scene, scene.

And for the record, Gary, I'm a Rupertite temporarily residing in Terrace...they can try to pry my Kaien Island residency card from my cold dead hands one day but until that time, my fingers and toes remain webbed!!!

And fyi, 'the hill' is shames mountain...though being based out of rupert, 'the hill' would be the Everestian like behemoth looming above rupert...Mt. Hays. If the hill gets snow maybe 3 out of 5 winters) there are some excellent little technical mini golf steeps, trees and lumpy dumpy small vert terrain features to ski...an added bonus is there's a road the goes to the top. It's a bit rough so 4x4 suggested but you can drive to snowline and skin from truck; it's a great quick access option zone to just get out and stretch the legs and kick and glide with skins on or head to to the summit and drop some lines. Add a cloud ceiling above the mountain and the ambient light from town turn the upper plateau subalpine meadows into a mystical magical winter wonderland in the dark hours of the day...minimal headlamp light required. If there's snowpack right down to sea level, you can ski the full 2100 vertical feet down a steep, gnarly old gondola right of way that dumps you back down to wantage road...approx 10 minute drive from down town.

As for skis, you might wanna trade in those little skinny pencil sticks for something between 115-138mm at the waist until spring...most regulars' daily drivers are over 115 at minimum...you'll see. I'm frequently undergunned with 115 and usually run 128. If nothing else, there's great advantage to having a bigger snowshoe for breaking trail in our admittedly more than infrequently bottomless, upside down or slabby conditions, in my experience/humble opinion.
    Great man, thanks for these info. I am definitely down to start as soon as possible, but I'm not 100% about next weekend because I'm arranging to find an apartment: I arrived here just a week ago so still some things to arrange

The Mount Hays ski season is on in Prince Rupert! Hit it while you can cause it might all melt by next week!

Name:  23658898_10156181753285288_1926383783312457201_n.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  84.0 KB
    Master of mediocrity.