Page 63 of 78 FirstFirst ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1946
    [QUOTE=LHutz Esq;5935621]The Mrs has the pic - I’ll try to grab it. Yep grandma tina’s old man and the rest of the stam family built the powder hounds cabin just above the Watsons on sidewinder back when it was only the prairie Bob was pretty tickled when we sent him a vid of the kids (mine and the cousins) ripping “his” run. Thanks for that Al![/QUOTE

no i in team as they say

We had a pretty regular crew of skiers who showed up with their saws pretty regular for 2 seasons to make up the crew
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Keith of Smithers View Post
    LHutz; I wish to gently remind you that Hudson Bay Mountain is designated non-motorized. A few of us have been trying to keep snowmobiles from taking over the mountain in the spring skiing season for many years (decades).
    I usually agree with you Keith.

Let’s say that was a special occasion and we did not stray far from the trails designated for mechanized use. We hiked.

In any event she is put away now - hopefully not for ever. Good luck on your future efforts.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Things will never be the same around here.

And no I am not making any grim, apocalyptic predictions about how things are going to play out. We will be fine. I am referring to the fact that our sparsely populated and recreationally rich corner of NW BC will soon become even more of a draw to amenity migrants. They are coming my friends. Mark my words gentlemen, over the next few years, even more people are going to move here.

We've talked about the influx of youngish skiers, bikers, climbers and other outdoor types on this thread before. But as I am perusing the various threads on this message board and seeing pictures of overcrowded parking lots, people tripping over each other in the back country, I can't help but think that those that can, will start looking north to Smithers, Terrace and environs and see it as an increasingly desirable place to live. And those that can't, well, they'll make it happen anyway just like many of us did because we wanted to live here.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 03-26-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Things will never be the same around here.

And no I am not making any grim, apocalyptic predictions about how things are going to play out. We will be fine. I am referring to the fact that our sparsely populated and recreationally rich corner of NW BC will soon become even more of a draw to amenity migrants. They are coming my friends. Mark my words gentlemen, over the next few years, even more people are going to move here.

We've talked about the influx of youngish skiers, bikers, climbers and other outdoor types on this thread before. But as I am perusing the various threads on this message board and seeing pictures of overcrowded parking lots, people tripping over each other in the back country, I can't help but think that those that can, will start looking north to Smithers, Terrace and environs and see it as an increasingly desirable place to live. And those that can't, well, they'll make it happen anyway just like many of us did because we wanted to live here.
    Lol, Everytime I get sick of crowds I read this thread with basically the same 3 people skiing for years and I'm like I should move there. Then I read one of Swissiphics bushwacking TR's and reconsider. Some Gobsmacking terrain you guys have up there though.

Quote Originally Posted by LSeed View Post
    Lol, Everytime I get sick of crowds I read this thread with basically the same 3 people skiing for years and I'm like I should move there. Then I read one of Swissiphics bushwacking TR's and reconsider. Some Gobsmacking terrain you guys have up there though.
    haha...well, due to coronavirus caused new cultural mores and a Pierre pressure induced reduction of risk m.o., swissiphic has toned it down a little. Only skiing well spaced trees now, on lower angle slopes.

Name:  P1120748.JPG
Views: 1828
Size:  114.4 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Soooooooo, a snapshot of my C Reality ski outings....crushing huge vert on sick biglines.

Walking on snow is better than not walking on snow. Sliding downhill on skis is better than not sliding downhill on skis.

Safety can be fun.

Up and down a flat logging road close to home.

Name:  P1130155.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  175.3 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 04-08-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Moved to skinny skiing for a bitClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7717.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	324775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7715.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	324776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7711.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	389.2 KB 
ID:	324777

I like the smiles in the pic Hutz. The dog is particularly beaming in the tunnel pic. The moose, not so much. I feel a bit callous saying this but I am really enjoying this abundance of quality family time. Although my kids are watching record amounts of Netflix and Disney plus, we are doing tons of high quality hanging out. Wife dropping the kids and I at the praire-T and skiing back to town has a been one of our go to activities. Sidewinder has been frozen rock hard and it is actually doable without getting stuck everywhere. 8 km of cruising in the sun is not a bad morning activity. And then there was this yesterday;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2731.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	547.0 KB 
ID:	324998

No kiddos on that mission.

And I gotta say this here, partially to avoid saying this on more visible social media streams. I don't really feel like ruffling feathers but I gotta get this off my chest. I know these are indeed strange times and everything, but there are now sled tracks on pretty muchevery run at HBM. There are even sled tracks going to Crater Lake. The Hudson Bay Mountain and prairie area is actually becoming a sled spot it would appear. And no Hutz, this is not a criticism of you or others shuttling kids up. That gets a pass from me given the circumstances, and most of the people doing that are going up and down on established tracks at a very slow rate of speed. They're just trying to get their kids out and I understand that. But it's gone way, way beyond that. There are generalizations that can be made about all user groups and any group for that matter. Painting with a broad brush is very dangerous but I gotta say it, the sled community (including skiers who sled for access) are really showing us there true colours at this time.

And for the record, given the picture I posted above from yesterday, I am indeed a hypocrite in my flaunting of the the prescribed 'avoidance of high risk activities' protocol we have been asked to follow.

I know it's not the popular opinion and it seems like it's every skiers birthright to have a sled to access skiing these days, but truly and profoundly, f*ck those things.

Some nice quad tracks added to the mix today at the chair.

Hey AP !

IME its way easier to shelter in place and observe the ethical non-use of the BC in BC when the knee is fucked

You'll be back soon my friend. Hang in there. We also skied the Hour Glass yesterday. Despite the heinous snow, Lothar said it was a better ride than last time he 'rode it' with you.

Hour glass had become was heavily wind loaded, it all let go except where I was traversing close to those rocks on hikers right,

5 years ago but I remember watching that coulior letting go clear as yesterday

Northern BC 2013/2014 Stoke, Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    I like the smiles in the pic Hutz. The dog is particularly beaming in the tunnel pic. The moose, not so much. I feel a bit callous saying this but I am really enjoying this abundance of quality family time. Although my kids are watching record amounts of Netflix and Disney plus, we are doing tons of high quality hanging out. Wife dropping the kids and I at the praire-T and skiing back to town has a been one of our go to activities. Sidewinder has been frozen rock hard and it is actually doable without getting stuck everywhere. 8 km of cruising in the sun is not a bad morning activity. And then there was this yesterday;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2731.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	547.0 KB 
ID:	324998

No kiddos on that mission.

And I gotta say this here, partially to avoid saying this on more visible social media streams. I don't really feel like ruffling feathers but I gotta get this off my chest. I know these are indeed strange times and everything, but there are now sled tracks on pretty muchevery run at HBM. There are even sled tracks going to Crater Lake. The Hudson Bay Mountain and prairie area is actually becoming a sled spot it would appear. And no Hutz, this is not a criticism of you or others shuttling kids up. That gets a pass from me given the circumstances, and most of the people doing that are going up and down on established tracks at a very slow rate of speed. They're just trying to get their kids out and I understand that. But it's gone way, way beyond that. There are generalizations that can be made about all user groups and any group for that matter. Painting with a broad brush is very dangerous but I gotta say it, the sled community (including skiers who sled for access) are really showing us there true colours at this time.

And for the record, given the picture I posted above from yesterday, I am indeed a hypocrite in my flaunting of the the prescribed 'avoidance of high risk activities' protocol we have been asked to follow.

I know it's not the popular opinion and it seems like it's every skiers birthright to have a sled to access skiing these days, but truly and profoundly, f*ck those things.
    I get it on Hbm- it is strictly forbotten sled terrain. I always try to stick to the access trails there and follow the hill rules. But it is a no - mechanized zone all year not just when the lifts are turning.

As for ski accessed skiing - I am coming to almost the opposite position. With MacDonald lake road not plowed I have gone on 4 or 5 sled access ski missions this year including my ast2 course- and am coming around to the utility of it. Especially now that Hankin is all but inaccessible (Full disclosure - all purveyors of the sled kind In town are clients- so not uninterested financially)

The attitude is def different - no one would countenance garbage at the trailhead at Hankin - but the microwave was gross. And they should absolutely stay in their zones. And why do they Have to spend even more money to make them louder!

As for the skiing - I am staying to fitness skiing mostly. Staying away from crowded zones and visible lines. But in these times I am trying not to judge. Being holier than thou seems to have become our favorite national pass time. (Not you AP - it’s that fucking Karen). Everyone needs an outlet - and different folks are different.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    I get it on Hbm- it is strictly forbotten sled terrain. I always try to stick to the access trails there and follow the hill rules. But it is a no - mechanized zone all year not just when the lifts are turning.

As for ski accessed skiing - I am coming to almost the opposite position. With MacDonald lake road not plowed I have gone on 4 or 5 sled access ski missions this year including my ast2 course- and am coming around to the utility of it. Especially now that Hankin is all but inaccessible (Full disclosure - all purveyors of the sled kind In town are clients- so not uninterested financially)

The attitude is def different - no one would countenance garbage at the trailhead at Hankin - but the microwave was gross. And they should absolutely stay in their zones. And why do they Have to spend even more money to make them louder!

As for the skiing - I am staying to fitness skiing mostly. Staying away from crowded zones and visible lines. But in these times I am trying not to judge. Being holier than thou seems to have become our favorite national pass time. (Not you AP - it’s that fucking Karen). Everyone needs an outlet - and different folks are different.

Alright, I am going to refine my stance on matters relating to sleds. Am I allowed to do that? Making highly inflammatory statements while extremely hungover and then revising your stance 24 hours later when you realize you were indeed painting with far, far too large a brush is cool around here is it not? And for that matter, is anyone else rapidly turning into an alcoholic these days?

So here goes, I hereby retract my lumping of skiers who sled for access with the 'sled and destroy' types I was really referring to. In fact, I'll even go further and retract your run of mill, law abiding sledder from my anti sled statement. Really, I just think that the hill and the prairie and the front side of HBM should be (and is in fact) a designated non motorized area. People seizing the opportunity of these chaotic times to go high mark Cold Smoke are rip up the Prairie are epic *ssholes.

That is all.

Sincerely,

Karen

Hiking for turns in the spring there is always a bit of sled activity after the hill shuts down, I'm not up there this year so I can't say how it compares to previous years

Bri guy used to say the sled p-lots are full of american trucks and there is garbage everywhere,

while the hankin p-lot is full of toyota's and any stray garbage gets picked up

Hey XXX-er, you've been into Dezaiko before, right? How is the snow/terrain/operation overall? I'm thinking about checking it out this coming winter or the one after, but there isn't as much info out there as one can find about many of the huts down south.

disclaimer......i dont sled
    i think most snowmobile folks, especially the ones that ski/ride, are good people. but the asshole sledders that poach wilderness and other no-go zones are just so f'ing visible doing sucky things, that they poison the image of all sledders. this happens in all aspects of society but feels even more pronounced in this arena and its been a thing in my home zone for quite some time as well.
    signed,..... a californian who would move up there in a heartbeat if the planets aligned. some people wish they had married into money. sometimes wish i would have married into canadian residency.....hah! stay well+++

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Hey XXX-er, you've been into Dezaiko before, right? How is the snow/terrain/operation overall? I'm thinking about checking it out this coming winter or the one after, but there isn't as much info out there as one can find about many of the huts down south.
    yeah i been into Dezaiko a few times, I like skiing with Craig & Bonnie, its well run, they have been operating since 86,

a lot of tree skiing in naturaly well spaced 500 yr old balsams and I think after 30 yrs Craig must know every tree, they get good snow

Bonnie cooks some amazing food and will guide a B team if the group wants to split up due to conditioning or skill

they operate out of Prince George

also been into Burnie a bunch of times another good place to go here up narth

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    disclaimer......i dont sled
    i think most snowmobile folks, especially the ones that ski/ride, are good people. but the asshole sledders that poach wilderness and other no-go zones are just so f'ing visible doing sucky things, that they poison the image of all sledders. this happens in all aspects of society but feels even more pronounced in this arena and its been a thing in my home zone for quite some time as well.
    signed,..... a californian who would move up there in a heartbeat if the planets aligned. some people wish they had married into money. sometimes wish i would have married into canadian residency.....hah! stay well+++
    From 2000 + km's away, you said what I should have and meant to say in my first post. How are you guys holding up in California?

about 5 years ago there were about a doz pro sled slogans painted on 4x8 plywood which were hung in trees at about the height of a cherry picker all the way up the road to the p-lot, are those signs still up ?

half way thru the winter that gate at the bridge was cut off its mountings and thrown in the telkwa which is why that bridge now has the concrete blocks in front of it

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    about 5 years ago there were about a doz pro sled slogans painted on 4x8 plywood which were hung in trees at about the height of a cherry picker all the way up the road to the p-lot, are those signs still up ?
    Which road? I don't recall seeing those signs.

the road up along the telkwa river to the sled P-lot

And then there was the local doctor (who does not live here anymore) 15 years of so back who put up a big billboard type construct announcing that the spot in question would be the future home of a sled racing facility. His neighbour had made some public anti sled comments so he put up the billboard next her place. Fromwhat I heard he had zero intention of even building such a facility.

For the record I did not live here at the time but have heard the story a few times. Anyone care to provide some edification on that story.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    a lot of tree skiing in naturaly well spaced 500 yr old balsams and I think after 30 yrs Craig must know every tree

That's the kind of terrain I really enjoy skiing. I appreciate all the info, looks like I may get in touch with them. Their season seems short relative to a lot of places, but is that because the days are just too damn short in December and early January?

With the bias toward tree skiing and less alpine/glaciated terrain, would you recommend aiming for sometime during the first half of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    With the bias toward tree skiing and less alpine/glaciated terrain, would you recommend aiming for sometime during the first half of the season?
    Burnie has huge, varied alpine terrain. Highly recommended.
    Master of mediocrity.