Page 71 of 78 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 1946
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Thanks man. Didn't know the guy but one of my neighbors was among the first on the scene. So tragic for the friends and family. Huge shout out to SAR and the searchers, got to be very hard for them and the staff at Shames as well. We've been very lucky in that this was the first fatality, especially given our terrain close by the resort.

Ride on Tim, condolences again to his family.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Middle of a storm here so conditions are exceptional. Because it's holidays, conditions are great, we have limited parking, and Covid, the mountain is now capping day ticket sales and you have to book ahead if you don't have a season pass. They turned people away today at around 10am because of parking. So no hockey, curling, ringette, broom ball (if that's even a thing anymore), means everybody's going skiing. I'm not that crazy about sharing it seems...
    Fuck.

Sorry to hear about the loss of a fellow mountain enthusiast. Snow immersion scenario I am imagining?

Although we have not had to turn people away, HBM appears to be doing good business as well. Parking has been a gong show at times here as well. Doesn't help that sharing a ride to the hill with buddies is kinda out of the question these days.

Oh and for the love of God, Allah or whoever else, please people, spend the money and get some bomber studded winter tires. Parking calamities and such never fail to be exasperated by people with shit tires.

But I know everyone here drives bomber rubber....right....?

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Oh and for the love of God, Allah or whoever else, please people, spend the money and get some bomber studded winter tires. Parking calamities and such never fail to be exasperated by people with shit tires.

User name checks out

The fact that they plow the chair lot once/twice? a week also exasperates parking...
    Last edited by gwat; 01-05-2021 at 09:51 AM.

The fact that there are no lot attendants adds to the exasperation of parking stress- people need to physically distance people - not cars!! The upper lot - every vehicle is nicely spaced 6ft apart!

pre-covid there was always almost but not quite enough room to get another car between 2 parked cars due to shitty drivers in the BV

I understand the last p-lot attendant got a real job as a CA
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Look at us complaining about parking - this must be what skiing in the south is like! Vibes.

Sorry to hear about the loss of a fellow mountain enthusiast. Snow immersion scenario I am imagining?

Although we have not had to turn people away, HBM appears to be doing good business as well. Parking has been a gong show at times here as well. Doesn't help that sharing a ride to the hill with buddies is kinda out of the question these days.
    Yeah AP, tree well. As I said earlier - to me it's amazing we haven't had a previous tree well or avi fatality. We've sure come close on both accounts though. As to tires, yeah winters with studs all round of course. Not like the guy ahead of me a couple of days ago who stops in the middle of the ski hill access road near the top, to put chains on his front wheel drive minivan with all-seasons. It was so slick he was really, really lucky the thing didn't run him over when he was putting them on. Jesus.

Hutz, I feel you on the 2m vehicle spacing. It appears we've that under control here with a full time parking attendant, poor kid just has too many vehicles to park. He's getting some good training for telemarketing, nobody likes those folks, amirite.

On another note, pretty spicey in the BC with a natural cycle occuring after the big dumps. What's going on your side of the Howsens?

edit to add, yeah Hutz, I can only imagine the shit show going on for our southern friends. I've been following the crystal and alpental threads a bit. Crystal sounds quite shitty.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Look at us complaining about parking - this must be what skiing in the south is like! Vibes.
    I dunno how far south you are referring to but from my experiences at places like Fernie, which can get bonkers busy, they have XXL large parking lots with more than enough room for everyone (even the 2m spaced parkers) and plowing after a storm is always a priority. They do use parking attendants though...
    It would not take much work in the summer to double the size of the chair lot. And there is no excuse for waiting till the lot gets deep to bring in the plow...you’re just setting people up for disaster.
    And if they were open 7 days a week we wouldn’t be on the innernet complaining right now..

It's been a few years since I've been up to Shames - but my last visit there was an awesome parking attendant- big fella - can't see anyone getting too mad at that guy -huge smile and welcome! always good to start a stoke filled day with a stoke filled welcome. However, if people are hating simply based on his choice of profession... I can relate!

As for conditions - I was in the microwave on Sunday. Lots of wind-loaded features running on a buried layer about 30cm down. Have to be very careful with route selection although I don't think it is as bad here as there as we just don't have the accumulation.

^^
    The big guy (Griz), didn't come back this year as he got a better paying gig (shocking), that was probably less stressful too. He'll be missed. Hutz, what'dya mean?? People don't like barristers? How bout soliciters?

Worst part of parking guy's job has to be telling folks at 10am they have to turn around and go home. The mountain's trying to nip it in the bud with folks at the highway (and some signage). But imagine coming from Rupert... Anyway, that's part of the new online reservation for non-season pass holders. I feel for the GM and the Board of Directors right now, can't be easy.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

studded Nokian Hakipillata on the 4x4 , only zee best

most of the time there arent enough people to bother with a p-lot attendant and I don't think there are enough people around to open HBM for 7 days a week all season long, but on busy days the HBM manager/accountant would be directing traffic in the main lot so I would roll down the window an yell " I bet they didnt tell you about this in Charted accountants school ! " buddy always laughed

More parking lot gong show today. Multiple 4x4 vehicles with good winter tires stuck trying to get to the chair. Word is the plow truck is down.
    At least the skiing is good...

you mean the skyline road to the base of the chair?

one can always tour up from town ( 1 or 2 hrs ) and avoid all the drama

some old guy with a recnetly repaired but 64 yr old achilles rides his bike past my house in full gear carrying all his shit

sez he has to put the seat down for the legs to bend enough wearing lange AT boots

Northern BC 2013/2014 Stoke, Conditions

Nice day out today
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611261172.447560.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	525.5 KB 
ID:	358963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C0C64873-E5B2-44A5-9AEA-4F3E4A90C06A.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	534.3 KB 
ID:	358964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611261319.800756.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	358967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE77ADDE-EBB1-4B90-BF0E-0008FBE478FD.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	358968

S = those pics look a painting. They make me want to poo with pleasure

Ya Lee - I almost shit myself with the conditions out there today myself. Had a bit of a warm front come through and I was not expecting much. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611274313.736018.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	768.0 KB 
ID:	359000

Getting a bit Chilly up North!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1612806759.926545.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	361889

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLOGIOtDaGD/
    Not skiing exactly but one of the John Lauchlan award recipients going for a sweet looking wall right in your backyard. Scoped it on GE looks like a wild area. Which local's going to poach um haha.

Hutz, that is an amazing photo.

Quote Originally Posted by LSeed View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CLOGIOtDaGD/
    Not skiing exactly but one of the John Lauchlan award recipients going for a sweet looking wall right in your backyard. Scoped it on GE looks like a wild area. Which local's going to poach um haha.
    Not me. Pretty remote indeed, jet boat would be recommended for access. I'd be interested to see what and where they climb.

Shames had a pretty big dump lately, but what with a somewhat fucked knee these days, I'm taking it pretty easy. The pow yesterday (over a metre in 24 hours and probably 1.5m of storm snow) was fucking deep. Steepness was manditory to turn. No photos other than when I took Maisie for a snowshoe while the missus did her shift riding the lifts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210220_221313626 (5).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	364504

In other news Shames is trying for a $50,000 award from Mackenzie Investments. A vote for the hill would be great, just go here:
    https://www.mackenzietoppeak.ca/?fbc...Dzcc#/findpeak

Plunk in Shames Mountain and vote for us. Our snow cat blew up this year to the tune of $100K so we could use the help.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

voted. good luck. hope to visit again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    voted. good luck. hope to visit again next year.
    ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

sucks man hope you find some money

HBM went thru that last season, big breakdowns on the chair & cat, wind events, new covid but i think they are good this year