Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    we cut off to the right at simpsons gulch trail so didn't see the steeper part I think it would all be frozen hard pack apparently the runs on the hill were no screaming hell so I would assume the trail to town would be a skating rink but there should still be lots of snow, my pass was on my other ski pants so after AP booked for town I just toured around the outside of the area, up to crater lake and to the bar for thrilling thursday ... just a good training day
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post
    trail to town still ok, or a skating rink?

Did they groom it out wall to wall like they said they were going to for this weekend?
    Skating rink as of 12:30 Thursday. Not groomed. I heard a kid got hurt going down it when he hit one of the holes so they might not be opening it. Could fill the holes with the machine I guess.

I found there to be a thin band of snow from treeline to roughly 1350 meters that was quite good. Everything above and below was nasty.

Trail to town actualy opens today so I guess we have been poaching it AP!

maybe they WILL groom it?

I think if you found some good snow you either caught a plume of drifted snow or more likely had some really good dope

^^^My treeline to 1350 meter theory proved correct my often inebriated, yet seriously athletic friend. In truth, the goods were to be found all the way down to 1250 or so meters. 8A at Hankin frickin' rocks! Have you been over there yet? Seriously! Packed powder but of the rubbery, i'm a god-damn superhero persuasion. No crust in the aforementioned band between 1500 and 1250 or so meters. More spring skiing type snow than blower pow. Not the longest runs but nonetheless one of my best days of the year. Slashing hard at will! Whenever and wherever I wanted to. Getting back to the vehicle was nasty but who gives a s*%t. Have fun in Roger's and say hi to our revolutionary friend for me.

Got home late last night so only got yer phone message tonight, no I haven't been to 8a yet,

I repeated the thursday tour with a group (training for the big day ) who were new to the route, we even got some rain(!) otherwise it was pretty much the same conditions

the trail to town HAS been groomed, those holes got filled in and they even planted some boo to mark other hazards

so it doesn't look like powder king has had any real snow in a while (2 weeks maybe?) and it's not looking like any big storms are moving through before we get there this upcoming friday night for the weekend.

a lot can change in a week, weather-wise...but..........is there worthwhile slackcountry stuff off the top of the PK lifts? wondering if i should bring my touring gear up there. would also mean the lady friend has to bring her touring skis (rather than her resort setup) when she flies up from the kootenays. thoughts?

Not really. And there is no snow in the forecast. The touring of PK is meh at best... the other side of the valley is sick but exposed top to bottom (but the pack looks to be stable... although it could also be pretty fuckin' hard.)
    Pretty much all the skiing at PK worth doing is skiers right of the boundary.
    Watch the weather and pray for snow even moderate snow in Mackenzie and Chetwynd can be pretty good at PK.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    Not really. And there is no snow in the forecast. The touring of PK is meh at best... the other side of the valley is sick but exposed top to bottom (but the pack looks to be stable... although it could also be pretty fuckin' hard.)
    Pretty much all the skiing at PK worth doing is skiers right of the boundary.
    Watch the weather and pray for snow even moderate snow in Mackenzie and Chetwynd can be pretty good at PK.
    yea, have been watching weather like a hawk for mackenzie lately...thanks for the advice!

I find I like to split the difference on Mackenzie and Chetwynd or look to the snow pillow near real time data for the Pine Pass.

http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca/data/asp/.../asp_4a02p.htm

I think the key to max enjoyment at PK is having a sled. Drop a sled on the pipeline and milk all the skiers right until noon. Drop a truck further down the rd, skin up off the tbar and shred the backside. Camel humps are fun. When everything is schralped on/near the hill, jump on the sled and head up Bijoux trail or up out the Mt. West side. We actually did a really cool 70k sled trek around the backside of PK starting on the Mt. West trail and ending at the Bijoux trail. There is plenty of sled ski terrain back there. I could see how just skiing PK would get old quick, but throw a couple sleds in the mix and its game on.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    I think the key to max enjoyment at PK is having a sled. Drop a sled on the pipeline and milk all the skiers right until noon. Drop a truck further down the rd, skin up off the tbar and shred the backside. Camel humps are fun. When everything is schralped on/near the hill, jump on the sled and head up Bijoux trail or up out the Mt. West side. We actually did a really cool 70k sled trek around the backside of PK starting on the Mt. West trail and ending at the Bijoux trail. There is plenty of sled ski terrain back there. I could see how just skiing PK would get old quick, but throw a couple sleds in the mix and its game on.
    would be sweet if a) had a truck, and b) had a sled

just looking at the valley pics online, and the google earth tour of the ski hill region...would be sweet to get out of the resort and looking for some fun alpine. definitely not happening for this short little weekend 'relaxing' trip.

moosepit (or anyone else)...should i tell the girlfriend to haul her touring skis & avy gear for the flight up? or should we just deal with whatever inbounds terrain there is? she's definitely only able to bring one set of skis up. throwing a shovel & probe into the ski bag isn't the issue; it's more which sticks should she be hauling up.

was really hoping for one of these alleged 'bottomless' powder king weekends! ah well. hot tubs, beer & wings will have to do.

I'd bring the touring gear unless it is totally not lift skiable. I ski my touring gear on the hill and don't think it is a big deal - if it gets thumped with snow you still have skis and if it doesn't a walk might be more fun that skiing the same groomer or one or two "bump" runs that are meh when the snow is soft.

Of course if viz is the shits the touring will suck too... I'd hedge my bets with a good bottle of what ever her favorite booze is and make for teh hot tub.

the drought ends on saturday.

No snow around these parts for the past couple weeks (the 6cm's mid-week was far from a reset). Stability is very high however so it was time to go for a bigger objective on a sunny Saturday. King Louis Trench in Smithers B.C. Super cool line with lots of features.

Booting up the hour glass. Approach is from the backside.

Looking west towards the Howson Range

Last edited by Angle Parking; 02-02-2014 at 11:34 PM.

The Kathlyn Couloir as seen from the summit of the Kathlyn Face.

Buddy at the top of the King Louis. 5000 ft. to the bottom of the line.

Not the best conditions, but skiable. Nice tour and bagged a line I had been eyeing for a long time.

Nice. Pretty firm up high eh.

We'll played AP. Sweet line!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Beautiful line

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    Nice. Pretty firm up high eh.
    Firm indeed, but decent on certain pitches. The rarely seen low, low, low rating on avalanche.ca has to come with a price I guess.

Guys, any place in Smithers/terrace to fill a paintball compatible canister from my blackjack air bag?

And how are conditions up there with winter 2.0? Too busy enjoying it?

Not sure. Maybe Valhalla Pure in Smithers. Their # is 250.847.6200

yo AP it sounds like you made it out of your solo all weekend training gig/spiritual retreat ?

Did you bunk at the Hankin lookout (lovely paint job don't ya think?)

did you leave anything for us at Hankin ? the L man has a couple of days off and I need to train hard for the next week

I am not sure about the canister either, conditions are pretty good it got fucking cold & slow today, I hear there was lots of pow out in shames last week

The vision quest was indeed a sucess. Lots of pow remains. 4,4A, 5, 6 are pretty worked but 1,2,3 had lots of snow. Saw your tracks in Cardiac Couloir. Very nice. Met some folks heading back to Alaska at the Lookout.

Anyone heading to Hankin Backcountry ski area and planning to stay at the Lookout should know that the low route via trails A/G is not super obvious. Ask for detailed directions or should visibility permit, go up the ridge behind the warming hut and do the high traverse. This is a much better option (weather permitting).

yeah hut ridge is a posthole slog but if the weather is good enough to go high at least you can see the lookout and hopefully pick up on the ribboned trail fairly easily, I haven't done that low trail but it should be marked

Out to hankin today ...its gona be fucking cold

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah hut ridge is a posthole slog but if the weather is good enough to go high at least you can see the lookout and hopefully pick up on the ribboned trail fairly easily, I haven't done that low trail but it should be marked
    The low trail is marked in blue flagging apparently. That hypno-trance you get into on the skin track may have contributed to the above mentioned folks missing the turn off. Ran into Jay Gilden later on Sunday and he told me he had previously gotten turned around on the A uptrack also.

Not a big deal really, people need to be responsible for themselves out there (navigationally and otherwise). It's just that the rest of the Hankin Backcountry area features so much signage etc. that people might expect their hand to be held in a similar way when heading to the Lookout.