Page 45 of 78 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1946
    HBM had an Epic Morning in that way that only HBM can.

Went up a bit early to do a skinning lap or two before the lifts open. There was a tree across the road so the staff van was stuck.

Drove over the tree - 'cause Toyota.

Tried to give the tree a yank - broke tow strap - 'cause Canadian Tire.

Drove up to let the maintenance guys know - 'cause no lifties not lift

The road wasn't plowed from the gravel pit up. Ran into the BV Wholesale van trying to put too large chains on their duallies - 'cause Jimmy Patteson is cheap.

Had a chat with the maintenance guys and went for a tour. By the time I made the top they had the lifts running and it was a day of hero snow with almost no one on it. The cars were probably stopped by the tree, much of the suv crowd was stumped by the un-plowed road and it was a Wednesday - that left about 10 of us for an hour or so before a handful more showed up.

About 60cm of fresh.

It's mid-season conditions up there. Now if I could only do something about the early season legs - 'cause fat old lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post

Went up a bit early to do a skinning lap or two before the lifts open. There was a tree across the road so the staff van was stuck.

The road wasn't plowed from the gravel pit up. Ran into the BV Wholesale van trying to put too large chains on their duallies - 'cause Jimmy Patteson is cheap.

Had a chat with the maintenance guys and went for a tour. By the time I made the top they had the lifts running and it was a day of hero snow with almost no one on it. The cars were probably stopped by the tree, much of the suv crowd was stumped by the un-plowed road and it was a Wednesday - that left about 10 of us for an hour or so before a handful more showed up.

About 60cm of fresh.

It's mid-season conditions up there. Now if I could only do something about the early season legs - 'cause fat old lawyer.
    I enjoyed that. I was going to critique your writing and grade it - 'cause I'm a teacher.

Suffice it to say you Exceeded Expectations with your narrative. But instead of doing that I found myself sufficiently inspired to go skiing. 2 hours of skinning brought me to the paraglider launch;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0920.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	856.3 KB 
ID:	217621

From there it was 1150 meters of headlamp powder back to town.

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	217622

Ubiquitous signage

Name:	IMG_0943 2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	217623

1 track on Angle Parking

Name:	IMG_0949 2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	217624

Shot does zero justice to the glorious, trampoline like conditions.

Well thank you for the stellar grade Mssr. Parking.

Outside the halls of academe where you reside one learns to speak to ones audience if one wants to be persuasive.

What was your route up? I was thinking of doing early am missions this year but if I run late I don’t want to have long conversations with the hill constabulary. So was thinking about the options.

About 60cm of fresh.

Bump for NWBC amazingness!! Congrats dudes. Homesick now...

Well thank you for the stellar grade Mssr. Parking.

Outside the halls of academe where you reside one learns to speak to ones audience if one wants to be persuasive.

What was your route up? I was thinking of doing early am missions this year but if I run late I don’t want to have long conversations with the hill constabulary. So was thinking about the options.
    I went up the trail to town, ptarmigan and then continued along the ridge crest to the upper ozone to the spot where the paragliders take off. Saw the groomer out and gave him a wide berth. Those guys are somewhat irritable (and for partially good reasons) with regard to the uphill skiing folk. They get testy when you shred their fresh groomers in the dark. In their defence they hear it from some of the cantankerous old set who want fresh corduroy in the morning.

Trail to town and then going up the egress traverse up through the ozone is another option. I choose to skin right up the runs, but If I see the groomer out I basically get right out of the way, to the point where I will duck in the woods or switch the run I am going up.

Recess over, more to come.....
    Last edited by Angle Parkng; 11-30-2017 at 03:22 PM.

If I am not mistaken, a policy was formalized last year that in essence stated that the climbers left side of Ptarmigan was the official 'up track'. And I believe that HBM management made some sort of semi official declaration that skinning up the above mentioned up 'uptrack' was permissible during hours of operation. So if you do happen to run late Hutz, and end up skinning during hours of operation, I think you should be cool. Michael and Frank are very reasonable human beings so simply asking them might yield a more definitive answer.

Furthermore, the individual who made a huge stink about skinning up during hours of operation does not, and will not ever, work for the hill again.

They were packing the trail to town as I was leaving last night btw.

Good to know- i am always off before the lifts start spinning. I had heard that the “Patroller Who Shall not be Named” used to give people shit if they were on there 1/2 hour before opening- which happens. I have better people to argue with than to waste breath on that guy. Plus if no one is paying you to - why would you argue at all. Can’t be just giving it away eh!

I knew buddy had been canned twice but then I recently heard he had been canned once before that so hope fully the 3 strike rule applies in any case I can't see you having any problems

sunny day, still pow and no one up there today
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

As I understand it, he nature of the transgressions for which "the patroller who shall not be named" was canned, are such that he will never be back. Given his friendship with the parties involved, XCextreme could shed some light on this matter.

That's right XC, we know you're out there lurking.

Shames report: After a series consecutive heavy snowfall days of 25-45cms per day leading to mind blowing bottomless continuous facewave powdies, it warmed a tad and the storm snow has settled a bit. Ski pen was shin to bottom of kneecap deep today with the odd turn punching to lower thigh depth. Uphilling was a grunt with frequent double penetration steps in slightly stiffer snow with a bit of sliding friction...fat ski trailbreaking was shin to kneecap deep.

I probed 140cms of snowpack depth at the valley bottom of Deliverance, 160-165 at the top of the Tee and 180cms at the top of first knowl.

Ski quality was super fun; bouyant, slarvy and forgiving coastal pow pow right down to the shames base.

No avy obs, flat light and everything was white.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parkng View Post
    As I understand it, he nature of the transgressions for which "the patroller who shall not be named" was canned, are such that he will never be back. Given his friendship with the parties involved, XCextreme could shed some light on this matter.

That's right XC, we know you're out there lurking.

It's a pretty safe bet the "the patroller who shall not be named" will not be back on hill in a professional capacity. The uphill traffic policy was confusing at best while I was patrolling. Angle Parking has it right that the lookers left Ptarmigan was at one point the official uptrack. It probably wont be fenced off as it was in the past and you spend a lot of time downhill of blind rollers if you stay on the prescribed uphill traffic zone so it's not ideal.

Don't be surprised if there are still some early season conflicts with HBM staff and volly patrol. "The patroller who shall not be named" was not alone in his enthusiasm for malicious enforcement of unclear/non existent rules. A guest complaint could also lead to a frustrating conversation with first year staff. Your best bet is to smile, do whatever they ask and then take your grievance to Frank in operations after the fact. Definitely don't make any of these confrontations public on the social medias or write into newspapers about such and such being a dick(we already know who the dicks are). HBM management will back their staff every time and might rethink their relatively tolerant attitude towards uphill traffic that has been developing the past few years.

As an a aside, I know "the patroller who shall not be named" had a well deserved reputation in town but my sympathies go out to the guy. Being a patroller becomes a pretty big part of a person's identity and losing that has got to be a kick in the junk.

yeah so that guy whipped everyone into a frenzy about the whole uphill traffic thing, he liked to bring up and use american style insurance issues but really it was so he didn't have to do anything.

I asked why he didnt put up a fence where there was a fatality where Ptarmigan meets the lower road and he said that would be admitting there was a problem well yeah dude thats why there was a fatality

In any case he is not there to shit talk anymore

CAVU day up on the hill today plus temps for several days and nights, must have been + 5, spring skiing in december, did some work in the O zone which doesnt ski that well with the + temps

last Sunday the voly Patrol coordinator said to me in the skyline hut "somebody followed Angle Parking's track's over the cliff and we had to go get them so we need a rope up there to stop people, can you do it al how much rope do you need ?"

So I got rope from the hill went out there today ran some rope, did a little shovel work on the traverses, drank beer and ate poutine ... a dam fine day

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah so that guy whipped everyone into a frenzy about the whole uphill traffic thing, he liked to bring up and use american style insurance issues but really it was so he didn't have to do anything.

I asked why he didnt put up a fence where there was a fatality where Ptarmigan meets the lower road and he said that would be admitting there was a problem well yeah dude thats why there was a fatality

In any case he is not there to shit talk anymore

CAVU day up on the hill today plus temps for several days and nights, must have been + 5, spring skiing in december, did some work in the O zone which doesnt ski that well with the + temps

last Sunday the voly Patrol coordinator said to me in the skyline hut "somebody followed Angle Parking's track's over the cliff and we had to go get them so we need a rope up there to stop people, can you do it al how much rope do you need ?"

So I got rope from the hill went out there today ran some rope, did a little shovel work on the traverses, drank beer and ate poutine ... a dam fine day
    So last Saturday I go down one of my go-to spots in the cliffs. Fantastic skiing. On Sunday day I go back and it looks like 10 snowboarders have gone down my line. Scrapped all the snow off it. There were even a bunch of footprints heading back up and out. A forensic investigator of ski tracks (if such a thing exists) could only come to the conclusion that that line had been the sight of some semi dramatic gong show. I guess I know what happened now. Hopefully the rope keeps ramrods who have no business going in there out.

Funny though, where they got in trouble is one of those places that is pretty intimidating but really not that dangerous. Other than 1 or 2 spots, you'd literally have to throw yourself over the edge to get into any real danger.

See this is what people don’t understand about our teachers. They are always going above and beyond to be positive role models for our youth. Showing them the way- not just at school but always. Thank you for your service sir.

Got some bluebird epic spring skiing days in at Shames since the high pressure moved in. For all intents and purposes, previous predictions of the demise of good skiing snow were premature. The skiing has been all time for a technician who likes a bit of challenge in warm, low humidity Okanagan like air. As Lothar, would say; "no sweat in the Arctic".

The inversion kicked in two days ago with subzero temps at shames base transitioning to positive temps halfway up the chair and some pretty intense solar effect on anything steep that faced the sun. Lots of expected pinwheeling and point releases gathering a bit of mass on the sun kissed surface snow but nothing larger than a size 1 on anything visible. The deeper pwl's that had been a concern were not tickled and remained dormant.

Snow that was flat or on shaded aspects or with limited sun exposure maintained a winter composure. The long wave radiation, low sun angle and short daylight hours meant snow at all elevations on shaded aspects remained cold.

Uphill skinning was super easy with just the right amount of ski pen to make traversing steep terrain comfortable. Skin grip was bomber for the steep pitches and glide was great on the flats. The only issue was the air temp. Even on the north aspects cranking up the skinning pace quickly put the radiator into overheating range...had to keep the pace dialed back. Ridge top temps maxed out at plus 7 degrees! Poly t shirt and no gloves was the clothing option love.

Skiing quality was exceptionally good with large radius turns on eastnortheast to westnorthwest aspects with previously moist storm snow vaccum packed into smooth and somewhat soft styrofoam from 1400 meters to 1100 meters. Below that, a minor zipper crust affected ski quality a bit but with fat skis, was still easy to ski. The crust gained thickness as elevation decreased prompting a technique change to smaller radius turns and enthusiastic edge sets...but damn fun skiing...in a t shirt but with gloves.

We stayed away from anything directly solar and steep...below treeline the heat penetrated deep and the snow was dangerously mushy...pinwheel trenches were mid thigh deep!

Twas awesome to drop some big lines in the bomber snowpack with great buddies. It's been awhile since the feeling of 'real skiing' permeated the soul and full stoke 'whoo hoos' of appreciation were bellowed to Ullr. Big radius slarves on steep open terrain with weightless zero gravity moments in turn transitions...felt the magic...and it was good. High fives and hugs at the bottom of runs. Stoke meter was cranked to Max.
    Master of mediocrity.

yeah that line is good the 1st time maybe the second time and then its all scraped off

See this is what people don’t understand about our teachers. They are always going above and beyond to be positive role models for our youth. Showing them the way- not just at school but always. Thank you for your service sir.
    A mother in the hut was laughing and saying "thats my daughters teacher !" a funny moment

I recall years ago getting parents to give me verbal permission to take their kids out of bounds on our school ski trips. That practice has sine been banned but if i remember correctly xxx-er tail gunned on a few of those forays. xxx-er has also accompanied myself and the school groups on the Festival of Faceplanting; a little event I hold every year where the school groups and i head over to one of the more challenging runs and ski it together.

well yeah it was totaly kosher cuz I also knew all their parents

I always say "yeah Monsieur angle parking is the guy you want teaching yer kids "

I duno if they will learn anything but years from now they will all say ... "it was interesting "

To be mentioned in the same pages as Niseko, Telluride and St Anton was pretty cool.

http://www.snowmagazine.com/digitalm...pbook/?page=54
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    To be mentioned in the same pages as Niseko, Telluride and St Anton was pretty cool.

http://www.snowmagazine.com/digitalm...pbook/?page=54
    Very cool indeed. And a very cool link. Thanks for that.

Not much stoke posted lately....I'm sure it has nothing to do with the arctic temps and screaming outflow winds. In any case, I've been merrily lapping valley bottom gravel pits and charging logging roads. It's one tactic to beat the coldest of the cold and windiest of winds. Having a micro bigger picture goal like product testing helps the psyche deal with the horrid snow and rough general conditions...perfect product testing environment. Stoked!

Master of mediocrity.

Jesus, low tide is depressing. But good on ya.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Sooo, the gravel pit training paid off in spades. Well prepared for the mindblowingly epic skiing around Stewart right now. Set up week for LFH Ripley Creek operation and spent some time in the field flagging runs, digging pits and wrecking some pow.

Decent treeline snowpack depths of just under 300cms up on mez ridge, just over 300cms a few kms up surprise creek and a bit less further up the valley.

Alder is generally pressed but some random groves still standing tall and other areas where bent over alders covered with relatively shallow amounts of snow and could be tip hooky. Another 50+cms of hs would remedy the issue.

Snowpack structure generally looks right side up and positive. Layers of concerns include the Dec 12 pwl down 90-120cms, variably reactive and more of a concern in shallow snowpack areas. Results are from treeline/btl pits..no alpine obs yet. Two naturals observed on this layer in the past few days to size 2.5.; potentially due to incremental loading of recent hst combined with small spikes in temps?

Skiing is all time right now. Right side up, boot top to kneecap deep and topped with low density fluff.

Swish.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6dojxx
    Master of mediocrity.

HBM is getting hammered at the moment.

My usual Wednesday morning meeting with Mr. Skierson to work on POW Inc. file turned into an almost all day affair until I got a call from the Mrs that I should pick up the kids at school. Looks like the teachers wanted an early start on tomorrow's Snow Day - I do not blame them one bit.

I shoveled the GF's weird roof for 7 hrs but it had to be done and we got er done, lota snow has fallen ... HBM tomorrow