Page 74 of 78 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 1946
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    pretty dum, cuz the thief can't use them locally , time to separate your skis
    Remember in the 80's when they had those locks to lock up your skis. They even had those ski racks that were lock ready. Maybe these things still exist in bigger centers.

Nonetheless, disappointing that that type of sh*t is rearing it's head in our neck of the woods. But this is what you get with progress folks.

Condition update. Things are good up there. Hangover (middle run) skied dreamy. Glading lookers right of Hangover has opened up the trees amazingly, increasing fall line skiing in the Void spectacularly. A ton of additional glading has been done all over the mountain spurred on by Brad Z's Tasmanian devil like enthusiasm for making our hill better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conditions dec 12.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	397011
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Hankin skied well today. Got a little nippy and we turned back early as the ridge walk was turning into Anti-fun. -17 and a 25k wind will do that. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1639698633.709602.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	397021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1639698652.250701.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	397022

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Condition update. Things are good up there. Hangover (middle run) skied dreamy. Glading lookers right of Hangover has opened up the trees amazingly, increasing fall line skiing in the Void spectacularly. A ton of additional glading has been done all over the mountain spurred on by Brad Z's Tasmanian devil like enthusiasm for making our hill better.

Name:	conditions dec 12.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	397011
    I def want to get out there soon.

pretty dum, cuz the thief can't use them locally , time to separate your skis
    Separate your skis?...Fine, just don't be the last one out of the bar.

Seperating the ski usually works, I duno what the mathematical probability is on one of the last guys out of the bar being a ski thief ?

back in the day a ski bro got his poles taken so he just takes another set of poles, but then his buddy caught him, then he outs him at the bar , so without missing a beat the apres ski band broke into " Maneater " by Hall & Oates except they substitued pole stealer for man eater, twas sad ... don't steal shit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Hankin skied well today. Got a little nippy and we turned back early as the ridge walk was turning into Anti-fun. -17 and a 25k wind will do that. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1639698633.709602.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	397021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1639698652.250701.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	397022
    You guys are liking that zone over there. I skied over there pretty consistently about 4 or 5 years ago. Pretty cool little terrain pod over there, especially when a PWL lurks below.

I had to settle for a quick hill lap after work but i'll take what I can get.

This was the objective (my suggested line in red - jc’s in black).

Name:	Image1639717336.362124.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	877.9 KB 
ID:	397051

It will have to wait for another day. There was some slabbyness forming that gave us pause as well.

Hankin is a festival of cross loading

Seperating the ski usually works, I duno what the mathematical probability is on one of the last guys out of the bar being a ski thief ?

back in the day a ski bro got his poles taken so he just takes another set of poles, but then his buddy caught him, then he outs him at the bar , so without missing a beat the apres ski band broke into " Maneater " by Hall & Oates except they substitued pole stealer for man eater, twas sad ... don't steal shit
    Separating skis in ski rack to foil a thief, only works if the ski rack is full. So if you are among the last to leave the bar there won't be enough skis left in the rack to hide yours from the thief.

I hate it when I have to explain a joke. And I even used a smiley in my original post.

We'll -35 this AM. solidly in the fuck this shit temperature zone.
    Did get a quick lap at sugarbowl on the 24th, great snow and skied to the truck (almost) having the glue stick to my bases made a cold slow ski even slower. At least I have a few ski related projects to work on now. Stay warm kids...
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

HBM closed due to cold. Even left our Christmas cabin a day early. Bummer

It sucks but being up on a dead chair having a skeleton crew of pro patrol doing the evac would have sucked way more

Its a box of fucking chocaletes eh

I'll temp the lifts at -25, but not the sled. XC only for the next few days at the least. Shame, I was hoping enough snow and slightly warmer temps for our little hill during the school break. Fingers crossed for a few days opening into the New Year weekend.

Northern BC Rd condition report:
    Highway 16W 3pm Dec 29 to 4am Dec 30
    Jasper to McBride - shitty
    Mcbride to Burns Lake - fucking shitty
    Burns Lake to Kitwanga - moderately shitty with isolated fucking shitty spots
    Kitwanga to Terrace - barely shitty with isolated moderately shitty spots
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Northern BC Rd condition report:
    Highway 16W 3pm Dec 29 to 4am Dec 30
    Jasper to McBride - shitty
    Mcbride to Burns Lake - fucking shitty
    Burns Lake to Kitwanga - moderately shitty with isolated fucking shitty spots
    Kitwanga to Terrace - barely shitty with isolated moderately shitty spots
    I think Gary's suggesting that the road maintenance along our northern corridor leaves a little to be desired.

And i'll segue from that brazen inference into one of my increasingly frequent old man rants here, anyone without studded winter tires around our neck of the woods is a moron. Thank you, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    I think Gary's suggesting that the road maintenance along our northern corridor leaves a little to be desired.

And i'll segue from that brazen inference into one of my increasingly frequent old man rants here, anyone without studded winter tires around our neck of the woods is a moron. Thank you, that is all.
    Not ragging too much on the hwy guys, it was more a function of the -27, snowing heavy, whiteout everytime a semi went by the other way. 60km/hr down to 30km/hr, 264 times. Almost gave up at Vanderhoof but thankfully things got better at Burns. I have to rate it in the top 10 most difficult long distance drives I can recall. I've done longer, but not so many that had as much shit conditions. Oh well all training for when I get to do a 24 hour of Le Mans. I believe I was 20 hours.

And yeah, anyone without winters/studs should carefully consider not driving around here in the winter.

Condition report at the house this morning. 30cms of -5 ish snow. After the driveway the main Rd has at least 20cms currently, pretty credible dump going on.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

HBM had a solid 15 to 20 cm. Not quite up to Shames standards but we were due for a reset.

Shames skied very well today in the storm. 40cms new and I'd estimate at least another 15 during the day. Biggest story for me was -5 to -7 and freezing rain at Valley bottom. 0 to +1 at the ski hill and puking snow all day. Plenty of pow for all. Did hangover at the end of the day and only crossed a couple tracks.

had lunch with the bri guy where he used his new joke , " the hill is getting new lift ... a 15 passenger van"

good dump of new but the chair was down due to staffing issues ( probably covid ?) but they were running a shuttle bus

had lunch with the bri guy where he used his new joke , " the hill is getting new lift ... a 15 passenger van"

good dump of new but the chair was down due to staffing issues ( probably covid ?) but they were running a shuttle bus
    Something on the emergency brake broke and could not be fixed locally so they had to send it off to Muller Lifts in Vernon. That and the small matter of a New Year's party where lifties did what lifties do and they caught some sort of virus.

I got in on the Omnicron Express shuttle scene yesterday. I had my skins in my pockets as I was not to keen on getting into a van with 15 passengers but I guess people weren't aware the shuttle thing was happening because I was the only passenger and got to shoot the breeze with Blake (operations manager) for a couple laps. Credit to them for coming up with a solution of sorts instead of just saying f*ck it, the chair is down.

^^
    Well done HMB Management. Shames report from Monday. Raining to tower 10, snow above. Due to this less than 100 folks on the hill and probably 10 people skiing the blacks. Skiing on Hangover (7 laps), Juniors (2 laps), and AOT (last lap) was absolutely sublime. A bit heavy last 3 or 4 turns at the bottom. Felt like 40cms + and the top 3/4 of the runs was sooooo good. A good day to test your clothing. I changed out gloves and added a layer for the last 5 runs.

Rode solo all day so had plenty of time to meditate on the chair. What a crazy, great sport we participate in. Flying down mountainsides, floating in steep pow, fighting but also going along with, gravity. Outside, happy as a clam in sleet/freezing rain (snain, according to the Alpentalians) turning to snow. No one skiing "your" runs, a private ski hill to pleasure yours truly and the handful of like-minded k00ks who do this shit.

I mean really, it really hit me (as it can, while skiing solo) just how ludicrous our sport is. I'm sure happy I partake. And, the couple of 90/10 spliffs consumed certainly didn't hurt my internal contemplation of just how lucky I am. How lucky "we" are.

Skiing is just so damn good!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

^^
    Well done HMB Management. Shames report from Monday. Raining to tower 10, snow above. Due to this less than 100 folks on the hill and probably 10 people skiing the blacks. Skiing on Hangover (7 laps), Juniors (2 laps), and AOT (last lap) was absolutely sublime. A bit heavy last 3 or 4 turns at the bottom. Felt like 40cms + and the top 3/4 of the runs was sooooo good. A good day to test your clothing. I changed out gloves and added a layer for the last 5 runs.

Rode solo all day so had plenty of time to meditate on the chair. What a crazy, great sport we participate in. Flying down mountainsides, floating in steep pow, fighting but also going along with, gravity. Outside, happy as a clam in sleet/freezing rain (snain, according to the Alpentalians) turning to snow. No one skiing "your" runs, a private ski hill to pleasure yours truly and the handful of like-minded k00ks who do this shit.

I mean really, it really hit me (as it can, while skiing solo) just how ludicrous our sport is. I'm sure happy I partake. And, the couple of 90/10 spliffs consumed certainly didn't hurt my internal contemplation of just how lucky I am. How lucky "we" are.

Skiing is just so damn good!
    Yes Gary!!!! Noted xenophobe Ruyard Kipling said it best in his poem If;

‘If you can keep your head while all others are losing theirs and say f*ck it, I’m going skiing

Yours is the earth and everything that’s in it.”

I think that’s how it goes anyway. Irregardless, we are lucky to be so enthralled.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Shames Monday was, um, interesting. It was pretty decent in Northbowl (said a coupla buddies, one is a small dot heading down), and we skied down the front of the dome then down 4th knoll (ish) to about half way to valley bottom. Below that elevation was a 10cm (no typo) breakable death crust. That was also pretty much the entire ski hill off the groomers. The rain managed to get to probably 1200m.
    Good news, it's been puking in town for the last 4 hours and the hill's supposed to get 30cms today and tonight. We definitely need the reset button punched.
    Bad news, it's not going to be cold smoke by any stretch of the imagination.
    Oh well. It was nice to get some vitamin D on Monday, great day for a little walk with my pal Hymie.

Name:	north bowl yesterday.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	969.7 KB 
ID:	401957
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 01-19-2022 at 07:21 PM.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Well we got the recharge 2 days ago. And it was very good indeed. 40cms, just a wee bit heavy last 3 or 4 turns on the blacks. Until the last run, then it got just a little warmer. Enough to fuck things up for yesterday, and I'm thinking today too. Another recharge req'd soon. Not much in the forecast, and conditions staying around the freezing level. hmmmm, groomers I guess. Maybe she gets warm enough for spring conditions... Looks a bit iffy for next little bit. Two days ago, those were the days...

Name:	shames20220120.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	402342

www.mymountaincoop.ca