Page 19 of 78 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    thanks for the info lhutz. with freezing levels forecasted to stay high for the next week in whis and the duffey, it's looking more like this will happen. although snow forecast is now calling for a 1950m FL on HBM next thursday... what to do...

Also seriously considering pulling the trigger for next week in Terrace...
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

What are our options for tuesdays up there? Is it possible to skin the resorts (HBM or Shames) or are there some other good options up there for touring?
    We would be there M-F I think.

Also - Shames website is down due to excess bandwidth usage! I blame Lee Lau and his constant stoke from up there the past few days. Seems like a powder frenzy!

^ ha, yeah I was trying to check it this morning too!

Looks like freezing levels are gonna jump up high there towards the end of the week as well...
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by That was Pontus View Post
    Looks like freezing levels are gonna jump up high there towards the end of the week as well...
    yeah that's pretty much the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger right now. if we spend $1200 to escape the rain, then get there and get rained on, i will fucking lose it.

at HBM, can you really ride that trail all the way back to town?

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    yeah that's pretty much the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger right now. if we spend $1200 to escape the rain, then get there and get rained on, i will fucking lose it.

at HBM, can you really ride that trail all the way back to town?
    5 or 6 yrs ago the Rotarians built the trail to town, I live 3 minute drive or 15 min walk to trail head and then a 4.2 km tour to bottom of chair maybe 1.5 hrs or if you are really motoring 1hr,

Sliding to town is fun specialty if you got drunk at the ski hill bar just walk home drunk with your skis over the shoulder... lotsa fun
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Yup, looking forward to a z-/powslut TR some time soon.
    I think they might have flown today.

^ that looks fun. glad someone is getting some. nice to see temps with a minus sign.

the wife and i are seriously considering taking advantage of that hawkair 2 for 1 deal and heading up there. totally unfamiliar with northern BC though. smithers or terrace (the only 2 options by hawkair)? smithers looks like it has the bigger resort of the two. if we do go, it won't be until next weekend though and it looks like there might be a dry spell until then. what's the slackcountry touring like off of hudson bay mtn? been to that hankin evelyn touring spot with cut runs and a warming hut and everything? looks amazing but we won't have a car to get there.
    ALready been answered but see this http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...thers/6day/mid

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    What are our options for tuesdays up there? Is it possible to skin the resorts (HBM or Shames) or are there some other good options up there for touring?
    We would be there M-F I think.

Also - Shames website is down due to excess bandwidth usage! I blame Lee Lau and his constant stoke from up there the past few days. Seems like a powder frenzy!
    Assloads of touring. I think I've written no less than 3 Shames articles so you'll have to search. Too busy preparing next round of spam.

Oh yah stay at either Stork Nest Inn or Aspen Suites. Bus pickup from there for weekend.

Can also rent 4wd for drive to Hankin during mid-week. Or if you buy xxx-er dinner and beer he might drive you. But we intend to flog him senseless by the time we leave tuesday.

Oh and re Terrace and Shames 3m + new in alpine

earlier in the morning

More new cms on the ground than people waiting for first chair at Shames

Word is definitely getting out about our neck of the woods and the epic snow. Spent the morning doing truck shuttles at HBM with a guy from Idaho and the afternoon riding the chair with a dude from Salt Lake. Very nice people. A posse of Italians are in town also and reports are that their giddiness at the conditions is of the non verbal persuasion. Lee Lau speaks and the masses follow!

As for the higher temps and freezing levels mentioned above; Smithers is far less suseptible to such variations than Terrace. We generally stay cold enough. Next weeks forecast has snow written all over it as far as I'm concerned.

The query regarding what to do on a Tuesday ski wise in Smithers is answered with 2 words; Hankin-evelyn. Pretty cool place located just out of town. Think ski area with cut runs and alpine access, only there's no lifts, restaurants or other ski resort clutter.

Sorry we haven't met yet Lee. Between moving into my new house and taking care of my toddler and prego wife, sneaking in hill laps is about all I can manage these days. Not complaining though, yesterday and today were phenomenal.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 02-07-2015 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Can't spell

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    5 or 6 yrs ago the Rotarians built the trail to town, I live 3 minute drive or 15 min walk to trail head and then a 4.2 km tour to bottom of chair maybe 1.5 hrs or if you are really motoring 1hr,

Sliding to town is fun specialty if you got drunk at the ski hill bar just walk home drunk with your skis over the shoulder... lotsa fun
    Yo xxx-er, guess what i did on the first morning in my new house? That's right dude, i christened the place by doing a glorious 3750 ft powder run all the way back to town and my place! Johnny Chaos suggested that with my recent arrival in the neighbourhood we are officially the ski district of Smithers.

We're here and ready to ride. Gonna be riding the shames area all week. Shits bout to get real.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

No problem Angle. Al warned me you might be a little screwed for time.

80cms storm snow in Hankin area Smithers BritishColumbia means you have to straight line 35,deg slopes to get going and claim the freshpow . Snow quality acceptable in Northern BC

Last edited by LeeLau; 02-07-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Sloppy seconds has been the key to this whole powder cycle, letting somebody else break trail DOWNHILL lets you build enough speed for air time & face shots

http://extremeeverestchallenge.com/

Don't worry about missing our yellow friend cuz between myself and the Lawyers we have convinced Lee to join their team so he will be back to cover the Extreme Everest Challenge
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

leelau "80cms storm snow in Hankin area Smithers BritishColumbia means you have to straight line 35,deg slopes to get going and claim the freshpow . Snow quality acceptable in Northern BC"
    that's what happens when you bring a knife to a gunfight. shoulda brought some shames sticks.

Thanks for all the info AP/Lee/XXX.
    Will be watching the forecast

Only 5cms new. Trailbreaking a bit easier. Also could get a bit more speed to smash pillows

still slightly worried about the forecasted 1700m FL later in the week, but angle parking, you seem pretty convinced that's not going to happen. i'll give the forecast one more day then probably pull the trigger. i've had enough of the heavy stuff. it was raining to about 2100m on whis today

We had a rain-pocalypse a few weeks back and the forecasts leading up to that event were for much higher temps than those predicted for next week. Like I said, historically, we tend to stay on the right side of zero but historical weather patterns don't seem to mean much anymore. My spidy-sense however, is telling me that more radness is on the way. Hope I am right.

definitely hope you're right. i am just going by snow-forecast.com by the way.

lee are those shots from hankin? still amazed by the fact that there is a mountain exclusively for touring that has cut runs and a warming hut

definitely hope you're right. i am just going by snow-forecast.com by the way.

lee are those shots from hankin? still amazed by the fact that there is a mountain exclusively for touring that has cut runs and a warming hut
    Yup

4000 skier visits for Hankin last year. That's from a town of 5,000 people. Shames gets about 20k skier visits a year by comparison. Guess there was a demand for a community amenity like that. Hats off to Brian Hall for getting that going

Busiest day ever at Shames today. Insane!!! Thanks for supporting the ski hill

2150m FL Thursday night? Odds?

Quote Originally Posted by SquamptonBC View Post
    2150m FL Thursday night? Odds?
    yeah i'm stressing about this

Word