https://www.interior-news.com/sports/skiing-grad-rock/

Angle parking is a celeb eh?

got his picture on the cover of the Inferiour News

A great pict of buddy pointing narth
    Haha! Nice work, that line needs to get coverage

Get it 😨

sounds like its a 1st descent eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Skied a trifecta of first descents over the last four days in low elevation Terrace terrain. One new powerline cutline on Mount Herman, one new landslide from last fall on Anderson Ridge and the first ski descent of the mythical Big Easy downhill mtn bike trail on copper mountain.

Epic run of valley bottom skiing this week. Super stoked to hit these lines since it's too deep for civilized ski touring at Shames.

powerline; would totally be a respectable double black diamond fall line run at any ski hill. Definitely more interesting than any inbounds run at Shames. Pillows, double stager rock drops, steep open old growth trees either side of the ski run.

Name:  P1080936.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  260.7 KB

Name:  P1080950.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  210.7 KB

landslide

Name:  P1080959.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  153.2 KB

Name:  P1080962.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  200.4 KB

Name:  P1080980.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  263.9 KB

Big Easy trail

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	225999
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080937.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	225990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080936.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	225991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080959.jpg 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	225994  
    Master of mediocrity.

^^^ The bottom part of the power line leading up to the ski hill has provided us with a quick nighttime lap option in Smithers as well. Nothing of that magnitude but enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    ^^^ The bottom part of the power line leading up to the ski hill has provided us with a quick nighttime lap option in Smithers as well. Nothing of that magnitude but enjoyable.
    How about shreddin' some of your d/h mtn bike trails? Are they skiable? Even if they're not, they should be skied...for bragging rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH7u...ature=youtu.be
    Master of mediocrity.

That used to be the “trail to town” - has some flat spots but I remember a few nice hucks about 1/2 way down - haven’t skied that in 10-15 years.

I've still never actually skied the whole power line. Guess i should do that this year while there is enough snow.

Swiss - No mountain bike trails yet. I did skin up to the top of the Bluff trail network and skied off the end the viewpoint up there. Wrong aspect = crusty but really nice terrain. Intermediate type slope with steep little rollers here and there. Is that Copper Mountain in your vid?

Northern BC 2013/2014 Stoke, Conditions

Name:	IMG_2355.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	226272

Name:	IMG_2356.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	226308

Broken Axe turns. 1 hour up. You bypass all the switchbacks on the way up and you can ski all the way back to the parking lot (herring boning the little slope by Childs Play and double poling the boardwalk).
    Should be real good once we get into a spring cycle and to the point Swiss made about bragging rights, it’s going to be pretty cool to be up there in the summer on our bikes and be able to look down that thing snd say we skied it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 03-01-2018 at 08:09 PM.

A.P.; yup, the 'Big Easy' is part of the network of Copper Mtn. d/h bike trails.

Skied my favorite gravel pit today to dial in a new boot forward flex mod/experiment.

Heinous refreezing crust over punchy wet slop...perfect boot/gear testing conditions.

Skied 5 laps, tweaking gear every lap.

Verdict? Vulcans ski really good with increased internal ramp angle, ultra lock lever bracket carved out for way more forward lean and unrestricted forward motion in flex cycles and reinstalled flex stops and found that the progressive flex felt almost as good as my rubber bumper mod. Interesting to note that freeing up the forward motion of the rear cuff resulted in such a dramatic improvement in forward flex feel. Winning!

Also did some in field rebending of rocker profile in my volkl 2 185cms skis. The skis overturned a bit on the crust so i bent some rocker out of the tail so it was flatter behind the heels. Resulted in a dramatic improvement in tail support and allowed for smoother, rounder, more stable arcs.

Name:  P1080997.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  174.5 KB

Name:  P1090004.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  118.3 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Soooo, while i've been shreddin' valley bottom breakable crust and mank on strategic first descents, buddies were killin' it in bottomless hero pow at Shames.

Don't tell XXX'er cause he thinks it's always wet warm coastal powtato snow at Shames. Let him eat bulkley valley layer cake.

Too deep to make turns on a board, Travis had to straightline.

https://vimeo.com/258466790?ref=fb-share&1

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY can match Brad's stoke while skiing! You could overlay this audio onto gopro video of skiing rock strewn bulletproof firny milk crates in pouring rain in July and it would still be an accurate representation of the joy and appreciation of making turns on snow...any conditions. Tough as nails, happy as a clam! (and yes, garyfromterrace, clams are indeed happy!)

Master of mediocrity.

Stars aligned, literally, for a sweet little first D last night in Bear Pass. Got up about 2000 vert feet of a potential 4000 footer. Clear sky with bright white stars poking holes in the black canvas overheard. Minus too fucking cold temps and a steady downflowing river of superchilled alpine air meant too little time/comfort latitude for little side ventures and exploration as intended. Also got shut down for the top of skintrack victory cigarette, and no pee break. But, too cold also meant that the snowpack was locked in and allowed for a pretty exposed uptrack and confident turns, free of any avy concerns on the downhill...which was...fucking awesome!

A really cool warm thing happened en route though...about 2/3rds of the way up my skin trail, found a warm geothermal vent! Perfect timing for a nature's warming hut break. Warmed the hands, warmed the boot shells and breathed in some tropical air.

Another highlight was gazing over at the brilliant lights of the sprawling metropolis of Club Mez at meziadin junction and dreaming about the outdoor lifestyle peoples' paradise that would be if a town the size of Terrace was like, right there...
    A man can dream; in the meantime a guy could always take a club mez vacation.

Callin' this line 'Noir Couloir Shoulder'. It was pitch black. As noir as my black cats. Can't wait to bag the actual couloir but it's being hammered by downflowing air and the snow quality is all breakable crust or windslab atm...we need a refresh/full reset in a bad way over here.

noir couloir...skied the shoulder/flank on skier's left.

Name:  mez.snowflake 010.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  177.8 KB

line started off with a bit of good angled shoulder/spine action

Name:  P1090047.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  43.7 KB

warm air vent
    Name:  P1090041.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  56.2 KB

the devil's club liked it, the green lush moss like it, the white algae or lichen stuff growing on the vent rock liked it...and my hands, face and feet liked it.
    Name:  P1090039.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  107.8 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 03-06-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Don't tell XXX'er cause he thinks it's always wet warm coastal powtato snow at Shames. Let him eat bulkley valley layer cake.
    Your feelings about the Bulkley Valley are well known by now. Give it a rest.

I makes me not want to acknowledge all the amazing sh*t you do.

Whoa, AP. Kinda harsh, the kid's not been too hard on you BV folks. Hell Guido enjoys the level IV ski instructor turns that are so plentiful in the above treeline Smithers zones. Shit, #me too.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Sometimes, I'm reading about some crazy first descent, in the dark no less, or about some other gnar ladden scenario, and I'm thinkin' that's the best thing I've seen or read in a long time and then there it is, the same old BV slaggin'. Maybe it's the old nudge, nudge, wink, wink rivalry that pre dates me and that I was never a part of. Maybe it's something else, but to me it's boring and it is an intrusion of negativity into an otherwise positive space. Swiss, you are a high quality purveyor of stoke, ideas and inspiration, I just find the Smithers trashing a bring-down.

I like it here.

Sometimes, I'm reading about some crazy first descent, in the dark no less, or about some other gnar ladden scenario, and I'm thinkin' that's the best thing I've seen or read in a long time and then there it is, the same old BV slaggin'. Maybe it's the old nudge, nudge, wink, wink rivalry that pre dates me and that I was never a part of. Maybe it's something else, but to me it's boring and it is an intrusion of negativity into an otherwise positive space. Swiss, you are a high quality purveyor of stoke, ideas and inspiration, I just find the Smithers trashing a bring-down.
    tru dat, A.P. some of you newcomers just don't have the roots to know or feel the zeitgeist of the old days of intra regional poking fun at and good natured ribbing that growing up in the northwest entails...nor the hockey fights, the mcdonalds parking lot brawls at the b.c. winter games and the collective condescending disdain of of the ugly duckling of the northwest, terrace; by smithers, kitimat and rupert back in the day. Smithers arrogent elitist highest ratio of phd's per capita snobs! Terrace Skids! Rupert alcoholic party animals! kitimit the no town work camp shit hole! It's a harsh environment, it's remote, it's rough and I'm still part full red blooded redneck. I worked in the rupert pulp mill, got poisoned by chlorine gas, I drink, smoke cigarettes, like watching u.f.c. and bar fights along with reading Rumi, hugging trees and waxing poetic on the aesthetic nature of making ski turns in snow. I've added new agey SNAGness (sensitive new age guy) to my being, but a tiger doesn't change his stripes. It's just part of the old school culture. Having now a better understanding of the psychological mindset of the transplants, I will curb my old school local ways and bend my crafting of diatribe to be more sensitive to the preferences to the audience at hand. I guess it's an 'in joke' that nobody gets unless you were born around these parts. Totally didn't mean to/don't mean to offend...except XXX'er. He gives it, he can take it. nudge nudge, wink wink.
    Master of mediocrity.

I am happy you took my emotional outburst in stride Swiss. I look forward to following you on some steep, deep, amazing and possibly ill advised descent sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Smithereens Terracites Ruperts. Even the oddballs from Meziadin. Love you all!!! GROUP HUG

Hey all - the Everest Challenge is on again this year apparently:

http://www.extremeeverestchallenge.com/

Team TGR Trolls?

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Hey all - the Everest Challenge is on again this year apparently:

http://www.extremeeverestchallenge.com/

Team TGR Trolls?
    Being held the weekend after the ski hill closes so we will have the place to ourselves which is very cool.

I'm in for Team TGR.

This is how we roll up narth, fill a cat with a doz hand picked rippers and rip,

the rules are you always gotta beat the cat down.

So Bill was voted the Raddest dude for whatever reason escapes me and so he got a free trip

bro wore the belt all day and wanted to prove he was the raddest so , airs,spins, figure 11's

I think it sez something on the belt about being "radder than you"

we had some great snow the guide sez we probably got some of the best conditions anywhere, a huge shout out to skeena cat ski
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-10-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Decided that I needed to work on my steep technique a bit for the planned local landslide, gravel pit and cutbank extreme skiing missions in the next week. So, sacrificed a day of superb local valley bottom shredding for a high alpine shredfest. Rounded up some local troops in Stewart and got a helidrop in the backyard terrain. Nailed a first descent down a plan B line of the run 'Get Some'.

Superb steep technique training was had. Variable snow conditions forced adaptation of style from turn to turn for 1500 vert feet of 52 down to 45 degrees near the bottom. Lots of swissiphically modified Patrick Vallecent pedal hop turns, double pole plants and a few zero G moments during big mountain g.s. turns in the pitches of soft snow. Snow conditions ranged from perfect soft topping over a progressively denser base with a little sluff but lots of overnightly formed wind crust over old hard windboard, some stratagucci, and popped a few tiny hard windslab cookies between 5-10cms deep.

Skillz feel sufficiently polished; ready for more 200 vert foot valley bottom gnar now.

Did a few extra laps in adjacent super nice cruiser bowls in nice preserved recent ankle deep new snow. Negotiated stunning pitches weaving through crevasse fields and towering seracs. End of day featured a 6400 vert foot descent back down to the town dump.

Send it through the goal posts on Get Some. Solid 1500 feet of exposure.

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-03-19-05h28m33s096.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	758.2 KB 
ID:	228906

Name:	personal line mt. rainey.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	953.5 KB 
ID:	228869

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-03-19-05h29m55s899.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	855.1 KB 
ID:	228907

Name:  29356625_10101494246475284_3858476564345782272_n.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  64.7 KB

Some mighty fine scenery over the course of the day in a spectacular high alpine setting
    Name:  P1090186.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:	P1090190.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	552.0 KB 
ID:	228843

Name:	P1090180.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	228864

Name:	P1090184.jpg 
Size:	743.3 KB 
ID:	228844

Name:	P1090206.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	228865

Stewart's only true red and white or red white and blue ski bums. So stoked to have met fellow like minded individuals to shred the gnoir with day or night.

Name:	P1090167.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	228845

day's work: left bowl, center steep shot, right bowl
    Name:  29342318_10101494247094044_5980266395131183104_n.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  44.4 KB

Lookin' back at 3500 feet of vert skied. Pretty stoked by this point, steep techniques training mission complete...another 3000 feet of treeline glades and old growth to go

Name:	P1090208.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1,005.3 KB 
ID:	228839

In the final 1500 foot old growth forest section to the town dump...relieved to be free of the "if you fall you die" exposure stress, it was time for fun regular old challenging skiing in the forest schmoo
    Name:  29315048_10101494247128974_5678982569689874432_n.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  135.3 KB

Got to ski within 350 vert feet of valley bottom, stopped for a smoke at the lookout during the transition
    Name:  29315004_10101494247158914_5404943121966432256_n.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  127.9 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090179.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	228841  
    Last edited by swissiphic; 03-19-2018 at 06:45 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Just. Awesome. Buddy.

A damn site better than skiing Nakiska with my buddies 10 year old daughter and 11 year old nephew. Though I did manage to find a little pow here and there.

So stoked to see you nailing some shit up there my friend!

Edit to add, also super stoked to see my buddy Bill nailing the rad award and the Hazelton/Smithers boys getting the sweet goods via cat.

I miss home.....
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Oh man, missed Bill with the Belt! Gonna have to get Bill a custom "2RAD4U" license plate for his vehicle. Think I saw the post on Facebook but kudos guys for nailin' the snow window for da Skeena Cat show!

And Gary, we're all just counting the days for the return of MegaManMaltin back to the motherland. Can't wait to show and tell all the new ski zones, lines and explore new shit wit ya!

Here's some added steep ski stoke gopro footy for some action to the words. Pretty big line in hindsight...that's a lot of gravel pit runs stacked one on top of the other.

Last edited by swissiphic; 03-19-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Stewart update: Fourish days of storm have hammered the town and mountains dumping a prodigious amount of new snow on the area.
    Probed between 60-80cms of hst at treeline up surprise creek. Some cracking and shearing at the hst/crust interface noted while ski cutting pillows and micro rolls. Hasty look at storm snow structure showed a thin lower density layer on the crust with a denser slab atop it, basted with nice soft fluffy 24hr new snow. Ski pen was mostly "shin to win" with some sections of kneecap deep with continuous "chesties are the besties" and the occasional uncivilized faceshot in protected steeper glades in the trees. Lots of wind action at ridgetop and into open areas at and just below treeline from the west.
    Flat light prevented good avy obs in surprise creek but did notice what seemed to be a good size 2 windslab in lee of today's westerly winds in a low alpine steeper bowl.
    There was quite a bit of action in Bear Pass. In addition to a decent natural avy cycle on the west side of Bear Glacier, the long planar northeast slope looker's right of Bear Glacier ripped biggly. By far the largest avy I've seen in this path since beginning work for LFH back in 2000. Been watching it all season and noted frequent wind scouring and shallow snowpack up in the start zone area and wondering about enhanced faceting or depth hoaring up there. Based on depth of crown, guessing failed on a pwl deeper in the snowpack or perhaps basal facets? Impressive deposit depth and dimensions. I'm gonna call it a large size 3.5....wonder what the pros will peg it at?
    Evening edit: further obs of numerous lee windslabs to size 3 east of surprise creek and a few reports of large avalanches in the region suspected to have failed on basal facets.

Name:	P1090244.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	230111

Name:	P1090245.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	817.6 KB 
ID:	230112

Name:	P1090246.jpg