Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 73 74 75 76 77 78
Results 1,926 to 1,946 of 1946
    Shit damn AP, I think Spider used one of his lives up there. That is burly. So happy he's ok. Whew!

Is that where John Baldwin fell thru a cornice and lived to write all them guide books ?

also where those skis went over the edge when a cornice broke

I alwasy stay well back from that edge as in 50 ft
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Is that where John Baldwin fell thru a cornice and lived to write all them guide books ?

also where those skis went over the edge when a cornice broke

I alway stay well back from that edge as in 50 ft
    As I understand it John Baldwin fell through further up the ridge near the south peak. He was way back from the edge but a huge chunk broke off. He fell 500 meters (1600 feet) compared to Spider's 250 m (800 feet). Where Baldwin fell is even burlier. He spent the night on the glacier below and was rescued the next day. \tore up a knee and had internal bleeding but was otherwise ok.

I was talking to Brian this morning and telling him about Spider's fall and he told me about Baldwin's experience in detail.

My dog's tumble turned out to be a consequence free reminder of the inherent danger in mountain travel. Good to get one of those every now and then. In fact, I think you had one of those with Lothar just on the other side of that valley a few years back.

right bri guy asked me for your ph #

yeah my neighbor Dirk apparently watched John Baldwin just dissapear right thru that cornice

i always walk that ridge further back than i think i should

yeah I was ok but Lothar took a little ride in a wind loaded hour glass,
    i was watching when the whole thing let go

Wow - that’s some scary stuff buddy. Glad Spider is ok!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	more may 14.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	416425
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stoke.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	740.1 KB 
ID:	416426  

Name:	g3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	417109

The Galleon. The most prominent couloir to the left is referred to locally as the Galleon couloir. My idea was to ski the Galleon couloir and it's brethren to the immediate lookers right. Alas, despite camping out in the woods and bagging the first one pre 10 AM, it was getting a little too hot for my tastes. The other will have to wait.

Name:	g4.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	417110

Name:	g4.5.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	417111

Heinous post-holing

Name:	g6.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	775.4 KB 
ID:	417112

Selfie into the abyss

Name:	g5.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	417113

Name:	g7.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	901.6 KB 
ID:	417114

Looking back at Hudson Bay Mountain.

Name:	g2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	417115

Bike, hike, skin, post-hole, ski, hike, bike... in that order. Oh and a lot of swearing interspersed throughout.

Name:	goat.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	750.1 KB 
ID:	417117

Ran into this dude out there.

Name:	g1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	968.3 KB 
ID:	417118

Galleon Couloir, as seen from town.

looks like you made it, seems pretty late in the season for this kind of trip ?

looks like you made it, seems pretty late in the season for this kind of trip ?
    Made it for sure, 1 for 5 isn't bad I guess........ https://www.tetongravity.com/story/ski/1-for-5

And as far as lateness is concerned, maybe but not this year. Snow still hasn't even melted in any meaningful way up high. And the road into the summer parking lot is still covered in snow past the Harvey parking lot.

Oh and Gary, I will be camping out with a gaggle of kids and their families at Lakelse next weekend. An early as balls mission to Wesach on either Saturday or Sunday would be of great interest to me if you have not put away the skis yet.

I did it once with the bri guy in winter i think it was 11hrs so a start in darkness & end in darkness, those trees on the way out to were thick and rather tedious

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Made it for sure, 1 for 5 isn't bad I guess........ https://www.tetongravity.com/story/ski/1-for-5

And as far as lateness is concerned, maybe but not this year. Snow still hasn't even melted in any meaningful way up high. And the road into the summer parking lot is still covered in snow past the Harvey parking lot.

Oh and Gary, I will be camping out with a gaggle of kids and their families at Lakelse next weekend. An early as balls mission to Wesach on either Saturday or Sunday would be of great interest to me if you have not put away the skis yet.
    Hey, one out of five aint that bad in my world of trying to knock off burly-ish ascents and descents brotha! Hey great you're coming to town Eric but I'm committed to a couple of days of strategic planning for the ski hill. I'm grateful the current board thinks I may have input worth listening to and I better not pass up a chance to run off at the mouth. Have a great time man, I'd come by and visit but this things going to tie up my weekend pretty good.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Hey, one out of five aint that bad in my world of trying to knock off burly-ish ascents and descents brotha! Hey great you're coming to town Eric but I'm committed to a couple of days of strategic planning for the ski hill. I'm grateful the current board thinks I may have input worth listening to and I better not pass up a chance to run off at the mouth. Have a great time man, I'd come by and visit but this things going to tie up my weekend pretty good.
    No worries Gary, your commitment and passion for Shames is awesome and I know some day soon you'll have had a hand in the creation of one of those lots I plan on buying up there.

Could I trouble you with messaging me the instructions on how to get to the Wesach ski spot btw. Think I'll go poke my nose in there if the weather permits.

Gary gave me detailed instructions on how to get to the spot I originally intended on skiing but time constraints and me not having my truck led me to stick to the familiar. And I got a chance to tick off a visit to Shames off the list for this year, even though I was at least 2 months too late to get the real goods.

I like the Tsimhsian on the sign, classy.

Name:	shames2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	905.5 KB 
ID:	417654

I like the Stay Lit advert on this chair.

Name:	shames1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	666.9 KB 
ID:	417655

I've always wondered about the origins of the Deliverance name. Ned Beatty? sodomy?

Name:	shames3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	417656

The prayer flags above the Deliverance Trees.

Name:	shames7.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	417658

My dog Spider on the Dome with The Valley of Certain Doom in the background (I think). Coolest name ever for a valley btw.

Name:	shames4.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	946.7 KB 
ID:	417657

wow it was lookin pretty fukin wet for the weekend but you went anyway, strong showing dude

How was the pollen? Some reports lately have suggested super slow descents because of pollen build up on bases. Nice job btw!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

How was the pollen? Some reports lately have suggested super slow descents because of pollen build up on bases. Nice job btw!
    Pollen did not seem to be an issue. I got about 20 good turns off the top of the Dome and then is was all sluggish straight lining from there but I attributed it more to temp than pollen. Snow was on its way to be isothermal at around 10 ish

I think I was wrong in my original responses to the pollen question.

Name:	IMG_1736.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	418732

And that ^^^ is after some serious scrapping and a day of skiing.

Dude on the Back Talk facebook page wrote about this and Gary asked me about it, I did not think it was an issue but today I pull my skis out of the ski box and a dumpter fire of sticky, next to impossible to get off shit is all over my bases. I guess there was pollen after all. WTF btw. How have I never come across this particular pollen goo shit how in all my years on skis? Weird. Is it a regular thing in Terrace?

I would try a citrus cleaner, Its bad this year riding up the bluff I can look down on clouds of pollen that are so thick it looks like smoke

sticky, next to impossible to get off shit is all over my bases
    Paint thinner is your best friend.

I would try a citrus cleaner, Its bad this year riding up the bluff I can look down on clouds of pollen that are so thick it looks like smoke
    Citrus cleaner (orange bottle from McBikes) made easywork of the pollen goo.

Citrus cleaner (orange bottle from McBikes) made easywork of the pollen goo.
    Noice. In a pinch, shitty tequila will work. Yeah, it's a thing some years and some years it's not. Just like death sun cups.. sometimes there sometimes not. ULLR is fickle (though mighty and good) he adds quickly so as not to piss him off.

www.mymountaincoop.ca