Page 73 of 78 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 1946
    So what i'm hearing is it's really worth the drive from the Buckley Valley yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    So what i'm hearing is it's really worth the drive from the Buckley Valley yet.
    Sure, just throw the word "not" in there some place.
    I heard wesach is scary right now (snow but no base). Standard conditions in there for Oct.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Name:  blue.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  77.3 KB

30 + CM at treeline, Blue Lakes in lovely Hazelton B.C.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	today.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	391847

Skiable treeline and up (at Crater Lake anyways). Rock skis recommended.

I may end up in Burns Lake area for a while. Never been there. I’m wondering about backcountry skiing near there. Is Mt Forster good? Is that a snowmobile zone? Can you approach on foot? Or too far? What about that Babine Park zone? Other spots on the way from Burns Lake up to Smithers? Any replies appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Groovey View Post
    I may end up in Burns Lake area for a while. Never been there. I’m wondering about backcountry skiing near there. Is Mt Forster good? Is that a snowmobile zone? Can you approach on foot? Or too far? What about that Babine Park zone? Other spots on the way from Burns Lake up to Smithers? Any replies appreciated.
    not heard of mt Forester,

lots of sleds but i'm not sure about any skiing out of BL or Houston , I think you need to come the 1.5 hrs to smithers to ski

The Onion is a sled area, also the Microwave and I think Canyon creek out of smithers I don't think anyone skis in those places

you can't sled in the Babine cuz its non motorized , the Onion is right next to The Babine mtn Park so pay attention to where you are so you don't get a ticket from the CO's,

folks sled into Ashman and ski

https://bbss.ca/backcountry-regions/

this ^^might help you, also look at the sled site if there is one
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Northern BC 2013/2014 Stoke, Conditions

You can go south and west to the Sweeny/sibolas area.

But in about the same drive time you are in Smithers.

So do you have a sled?

Lots of room For activities

In the olden days the skiers in BL built massive jump ramps to get their adrenaline fix- but that was 100 years ago. Now it’s mostly the Nordic scene.

They do have really good Nordic trails- but for the ski laps it’s mostly a commute west.

I may have worded that poorly. I do not currently have a sled. I have in the past. What I meant was would I need one for the approach and/or would the skiing be all high marked out.
    Mainly wondering if there is a backcountry ski zone on the drive north to Smithers that would be closer for me. From google earth there are mountains near Houston. Mt Forster being the largest in that group. Thanks , I’ll be driving up there soon to check it out.

I think Mt Forester (Hunter Basin) itself is in the telkwa recovery area which has restricted access. You can only recreate near there (Star Basin) by winning a lottery (applications close nov 20) - and then only if no ‘bou are present- they are radio collared so it is known when they are out and about. I “won” the lottery in the past only to have a bou wandering around so I got shut down. That being said the whole access management area is an attempt by recreationalist (motorized and not) to protect some really important woodland caribou habitat. It has voluntary and mandatory exclusions. You can check out Telkwa Caribou Recovery Program on fb where they often update where the critters are and when they close some areas. However access is mostly sled, the areas that are open to machines (the meat cache/grizzly) are well used by the sledders when they are open. As I mentioned above - there is plenty of room for activities on the other side.
    In this area a sled isn’t necessary but can get you more access to more places. Let us know when you are up- snow is getting goodish and it won’t be long until it’s full on ski times fun times.

I may have worded that poorly. I do not currently have a sled. I have in the past. What I meant was would I need one for the approach and/or would the skiing be all high marked out.
    Mainly wondering if there is a backcountry ski zone on the drive north to Smithers that would be closer for me. From google earth there are mountains near Houston. Mt Forster being the largest in that group. Thanks , I’ll be driving up there soon to check it out.
    Yeah, as Hutz said near (kind of) Houston is the Sibolas but what time are you thinking of coming? Generally we're skiing Sibolas in summer not winter. That's going to define your choices especially if you don't have a sled.

Conditions a few days ago in Burnt Trees up at Shames. It's puking (has puked) up there. Skiing from the new upper parking lot was a treat, when I was up there it was still spicey from tower 6 down. Should be good top to bottom now.

Name:	conditions normal at burnt trees (2).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	393758

Name:	conditions normal indeed.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	393759
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Looks amazing Gary! I took the sled out instead of skiing this weekend. It is getting deeeep. But very layered and touchy out and about right now. Lots of evidence of human triggered activity where we went

Name:	Image1637718415.395773.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	302.2 KB 
ID:	393769

Looking powderlicious! We didn't make it last year, but will be booking flights for end of January. Fingers crossed our trip happens.

Hey fuckers. Long time...

The weather sucks in the peeg. Nice to have snow shitty to have to shovel before the rain. It is gonna be good up high by mid next week... Might just have to suck it up and get in some late season kayak laps.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Conditions in the Robson and Albreda areas are reported to be getting serious deep too. Haven't been north of Avola for a couple weeks, a couple guys on the team are going near Albreda tomorrow if the highway isn't too treacherous. Looks like it's already time to swap the gravel-running old indy lites for the mountain sleds for work above 1000m. Not much of a shoulder season this year - Brraapppp!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    Hey fuckers. Long time...

The weather sucks in the peeg. Nice to have snow shitty to have to shovel before the rain. It is gonna be good up high by mid next week... Might just have to suck it up and get in some late season kayak laps.
    Holy fuck. I was worried sick. I checked all the hospitals and police departments between Bill's Puddle and Rupert. Jesus, you coulda called or written. But, no. Nothing. Not a peep.
    Thank god you're safe!
    Welcome back Moose Pit .

Condition update at Shames. Super good base getting laid right now with rain to alpine. Skied Hangover today in epic un-supportable west coast mank with 60cm+ ski pen. I was pretty happy to make it back to the truck without tweaking something. Helluva day 3. Good news is cooling temps are coming with another 70cm in the next few days.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Hudson Bay Mountain opening early. Haven't heard that too often.

Ran into LHutz at Hankin today. Rare to see that place so good so early. Solid start to the season.

How are things on your end of Hwy 16 Gary? Epic stuff at Shames?

Great to see you and Spider Dog (even though he made me feel guilty for not giving up my lunch!)- thanks for starting the nice cozy fire at the warming hut!

Morning Bowl was really very acceptable - kept to the mellow side but it skied great - and not just for Dec 5.

I managed 6 runs on Cinderellla so I am back skiing easy groomers

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Nice, glad to hear it Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Ran into LHutz at Hankin today. Rare to see that place so good so early. Solid start to the season.

How are things on your end of Hwy 16 Gary? Epic stuff at Shames?
    Oh fuck dude. So earliest opening I could remember for your western ski hill sister AP (Dec 4,5). Then someone told me we had an end of November opening one year (at least 15 ago, RIP Ian you fucking rocked), however it was backed up the next year by a February opening... Anyway, primo conditions buddy. Glad you and Hutz had a northern BC mini summit at Hankin. Fuck, if Maisie wasn't gimped up I would love to have joined you lads for a lap. Just a heads up, my wifey is gone till Jan 6. I have a surgery date for Maisie Dec 28 in AB. Although I may not be able to ski much with you guys due to being solo with an injured puppy I'd say if you cats wanted to come west I could put you up. Aaron & Lothar are always welcome too. I believe they're open next weekend then the 18th start 7 days a week. I could also use a house sitter Dec 26 to 30 if any of you guys are interested in keeping my woodstove going. After the 30th, I'll be caring for my puppy full time though so no guests or skiing for a while.

Saturday:

Name:	shames rd 05 12 (2).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	395596

The road up is particularly stunning when you know there are lifts spinning 10 minutes away

Name:	shames 05 12 runs.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	395597

Very acceptable conditions, though Hangover beat me today twice I did have a super good time on Juniors, AOT, F Line and Gallaways (most of the compulsories). Got to the hill at noon exactly and somehow managed a rock star parking spot 3 rows from the arch. This was important as parking today was down to the avi gates as the upper parking lot wasn't open to traffic opening weekend. Didn't tour today as I had some time crunch and wanted to get some miles in. For the first time in memory I really felt rusty opening day. I think lack of a bunch of summer ski days, and a lack of early season days (due to wife out of country and Maisie on the injured reserve list.

Oh well, day one lift served out of the way without injury. Win!

Name:	shames new bc terrain.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	395598

Among the most exciting news for Shameans this year is the start of development of "enhanced" back country runs. We are starting to glade and improve the bump in the middle of the photo (including cutting dedicated exit trails, which can be nasty given our thicker tree canopy and some convoluted terrain nearer the bottom). One of the runs has been worked on this season (super dedicated group of vollies, and a generous donation from a buddy) has the project started. Pollywood should ski nice, will ski her top to bottom next weekend and will report. An inside source (me hahahaha) has information that a grant has been applied for (and approved) which will mean in all likelihood another 2 or 3 runs will be gladed next season. Stoked!

Name:	shames 05 12.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	395599

Conditions yesterday were fucking amazing. Skied a lap down first knoll to valley bottom. Cold temps last night dried things out to deliver us a decent facsimile of Japow. 220cms at mid; over 4m in the alpine. Another abbreviated day for me was finished with a run down Burnt Trees (top pictured) into the V. Surprisingly no other tracks until the V. Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Awesome to hear buddy! Keep it up man.
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 12-06-2021 at 11:02 PM.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

With such a great start to the season hate to bring down the mood - but a buddy and fellow volly firefighter had his skis stolen on Sat on the hill. Hoping someone sees em. Brand new chetler 120s with marker frame bindings. He had three laps on ‘em and is gutted- so if folks could keep their eyes out it would be appreciated. Who steals skis in Smithers? Fuckers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1638854579.550634.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	789.5 KB 
ID:	395678

Oh man. That is terrible. Community is so small too

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    With such a great start to the season hate to bring down the mood - but a buddy and fellow volly firefighter had his skis stolen on Sat on the hill. Hoping someone sees em. Brand new chetler 120s with marker frame bindings. He had three laps on ‘em and is gutted- so if folks could keep their eyes out it would be appreciated. Who steals skis in Smithers? Fuckers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1638854579.550634.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	789.5 KB 
ID:	395678
    WTF!!! Very disappointing that something like that would happen here.

pretty dum, cuz the thief can't use them locally , time to separate your skis