Page 62 of 78 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1946
    A lot of getting to a hut or ski op is travel & accomadations but Skeena Cat was 400 a day, a little gas to get to the Suskwa FSR

And then the Catski op went for a few beers afterwards at Curlys bar ... very organic

So you are saying that one of you is a burnt out hippie ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

More Ghettowerx product testing today around Terrace. An improved and refined ski drag system, Dairylandr 2.0's, and, brand new 2cms of hot glue gun Tip Xtendrz. Conditions varied from dust on white ice, punchy melt freeze crust and some sections of double pen deeper snow under the forest canopy, and, some pretty damn fine, deep coastal powder in the open glades.

Perfect testing conditions for the ski drag 2.0 system and both products.

Hikin' straight up the fall line on slope angles of up to 47 degrees. Having that little bit of exposed boot tip to kick into the sometimes, somewhat grippy crust was awesome, then, having that float from the rest of the platform was awesome in punchy sections. Nopostholio.

Name:  vlcsnap-2020-02-13-20h02m02s655.png
Views: 775
Size:  433.2 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-2020-02-13-20h01m43s082.png
Views: 778
Size:  369.9 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-2020-02-13-20h02m29s596.png
Views: 754
Size:  343.7 KB

Name:  P1120789.JPG
Views: 768
Size:  140.3 KB

Name:  P1120744.JPG
Views: 780
Size:  195.8 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Pretty awesome skiing around Surprise Creek, north of mez lake these days. Snow depth is mind boggling. Was out doing snow safety with a few guides and found 550cms at 1100 meters. Tip 'n' Tail Xtendrz were in a very happy place yesterday.

Name:  P1120827.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  87.7 KB

That's a 325cm long probe he's pointing at.

Name:  P1120825.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  64.9 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Great day of heliskiing above Meziadin Lake. Great opportunity to test out a full smorgassboard of gear mods. Tip n Tail Xtendrz, custom helmet mounted instant in/out Intuition foam heat molded earplugs, fully instant field adjustable ski boot forward flex stiffness. Everything worked in synergy to produce a true "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" and desired perfection in ski feelz was obtained...turn after turn after turn...in the pocket. Got the ultimate complement: "you ski like you're on a monoski". Yup; the leading indicator that everything is working as advertised. So fun to play with boot flex. Too soft for just givin'er long radius turns in the alpine, go stiff. Too stiff/getting thrown backseat in the deep snow in trees? Go soft. Ball of foot balance maintained. More options = mo betta.

Master of mediocrity.

I knew Shames was going off this year, but shit oh dear...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...94912904168531

Quite grateful for Shames going off this season, Gary.

The ample low elevation snowpack has opened up new car shuttle line options off the access road. This is pretty cool. 1000-1200 vert foot +/- fall line ski runs, car to car. Haven't timed it but car time is prolly in the 5-7 minute range per lap.

Skied red line and bottom half of blue line. Red line pretty damn fun, blue line would be great in the right snow conditions...skied it in knee deep elephant snot topped with a transluscent eggshell melt freeze crust. Not optimal for the technical turns required in old growth forest and 30 (?) year old, somewhat tightly spaced regen.

If you add a 20 minute skin up the bottom little bump of the cornice ridge access, total vert for skiing the red/yellow line zone extends to over 2000 feet. Had to throw in a few short traverses to link optimal old growth spacing and open glades but great fun if yer into enjoying turn to turn technical 'thinking' skiing. Awesome bang for the buck.

Yellow line not yet skied.

Name:  89300659_208678520243867_1011490190054653952_n (1).png
Views: 620
Size:  804.7 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I knew Shames was going off this year, but shit oh dear...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...94912904168531
    Efffing W00t!!!

Avalanche Canada cautioning that - "As always, accurate avalanche forecasts remains our priority. However, the early closure of many backcountry operations, in response to the COVID 19 pandemic, will soon affect our data stream. We are assessing this situation on a daily basis but are expecting an increase in our forecast uncertainty as these closures progress. Our Mountain Information Network (MIN) is going to become even more important than usual. We are actively encouraging all backcountry users to submit their observations. Even the most basic data will be helpful, so please consider posting to the MIN. We are also encouraging avalanche professionals to keep providing whatever data they have."

Crazy times call for a TR ...to HBMR

Beauty day. The Mrs is front line healthcare and if c19 hasn’t hit our little town yet - the panic has-she deals with it daily. So a great day on a great mtn was the prescription - her world is going to get much worse before it gets better so a little preventative maintenance couldn’t hurt
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7636.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	320654

Little social isolation - lift lines were ridiculous

Name:	IMG_7638.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	320655

Chillin in the pow

Name:	IMG_7637.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	320656

What an amazing place

Name:	IMG_7639.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	320659

So this TR wasn’t epic, no missions were undertaken we slayed 0 zones- just a wonderful day in a great place to remind us that sanity can be found outside!

Name:	IMG_2068-2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	321210

The esteemed Mr. Hutz has hit the nail on the head. Weirdness abounds and refuge and solace has been found in family and kids and skiing. Had you told me a decade ago that I would revel in skiing sinuous little trails through the woods off of green runs I would have scoffed. But nothing beats chilling with the kiddos and skiing in the sun.

My girls and I have skied HBM everyday this week. Such a cool pandemic vibe up there this week. Lots of families and kids. Totally respecting social distancing and the various anti contagion protocols. And yet, everyones smiling and skiing and having a good time. Temperatures above zero, bright sunshine, zero wind; these things helped out the vibe but overall, everyone seemed to embrace and ooze a sort of 'f*ck it, let's just go ski' vibe. Good stuff.

Having said that, the chair is shutting down tomorrow. Full closure on Sunday. Northern Health is worried that folks will start travelling here to ski and this is one of the reasons for closure.

Vibes to everyone who has seen their season come to an abrupt, early, and highly unfortunate end.

I wondered how long HBM were going to get away with being open

they have had a really bad season starting with the late openning due to no snow , shut downs due to wind, broken chair for a week, broken snow cats broken loader

there will be good turns to hike for till mid may

Way to get after it while you can Hutz and AP! looks like an awesome time in an awesome place with the fam.

Weird times indeed lads! Here's to normalicy sooner than later.
    Cheers,
    (I think I shall have a drink now)
    GfT.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Way to get after it while you can Hutz and AP! looks like an awesome time in an awesome place with the fam.

Weird times indeed lads! Here's to normalicy sooner than later.
    Cheers,
    (I think I shall have a drink now)
    GfT.
    What a coincidence Gary, as I read your post and in particular the part about having a drink, I happened to be sipping on a drink myself.

Thx again for the trip this winter. That was fun.

Thanks for the stoke gents!
    Was out with the little princess today on our local T-bar bunnyhill. Donations only for lift and rentals, basically went into the shop, got the daughter's usual boots and skis and hit the hill. Maybe a dozen kids <16, and a half dozen parents. An amazing snowpack for 420m elevation on the 1st day of spring. Trying to convince the little one to savour the slopes instead of straightlining the fall line. Nope, until a yardsale just before the corral and her little thumb got caught. Hill will be open through to Sunday, although today was likely the best weather of the weekend. Everyone being safe with hygiene and distance.
    Maybe the hill or maybe XC tomorrow. Will see. Sled still fucked, but not giving a shit about that now.
    Wife back on the nightshift on acute, after Thursday day shift in the emerg. Nothing confirmed in town as yet, but the local grocery shelves are starting to get noticeably bare in spots, mostly due to fuckers coming from 'loops to scavenge.
    Stay healthy all!

And HBM is done. They are saying too many folks were heading here. (I blame those terrace fkrs- I kid, I kid - it is out of love)I dunno - maybe it’s a sign that people need an outlet so we should start thinking about mental health as well. Kinda bummed as I wanted one more day on the hill - but it is what it is. Might take the kiddos up for a couple snowmobile laps. If the old donkey is up for it. I shall also now have a drink!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Hint hint that hospitol guy is DH racer !

there will still be hiking for some of you

me I got no idea when i can get cut on

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    maybe it’s a sign that people need an outlet so we should start thinking about mental health as well.
    Definitely. There have been half a million EI claims in one week. That increased unemployment by 50% and that just for starters. With layoffs and social isolation there are bound to be consequences

Northern BC 2013/2014 Stoke, Conditions

HBM TR 2

So the munchkins have been taking the global shit show in stride.
    - can’t go to school - yay
    - can’t hang with friends - oh well
    - can’t go to the movies- meh
    - can’t go out to eat- hm
    - ski hill closed - colossal melt down. The phrase “why live” was uttered.

While the heart breaks for them- a bit of pride that that was what hurt remains.

A little hike to B.Rants bench

Name:	IMG_7660.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	321482

Family selfie

Name:	IMG_7664.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	323.1 KB 
ID:	321483
    Last edited by LHutz Esq; 03-22-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Good to see some much needed stoke coming from our neck of the woods. Here's some more from yesterday. The King Louis Trench is the prominent gorge in the center of the pic. 5000 feet of surprisingly good snow.

Name:	IMG_2164.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	321600

Name:	IMG_2103.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	321601

Cool wolverine tracks in the pics above and below.

Name:	IMG_2118.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	321602

Name:	fullsizeoutput_51.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	902.6 KB 
ID:	321603

[QUOTE=LHutz Esq;5934112]

While the heart breaks for them- a bit of pride that that was what hurt remains.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    HBM TR 2

So the munchkins have been taking the global shit show in stride.
    - can’t go to school - yay
    - can’t hang with friends - oh well
    - can’t go to the movies- meh
    - can’t go out to eat- hm

So Donkey to the rescue-
    Attachment 321480
    The dog got tired. When Canada goes third world we will be ready for the family scooter!

A little hike to B.Rants bench

Name:	IMG_7660.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	321482

Family selfie

Name:	IMG_7664.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	323.1 KB 
ID:	321483
    My girls are seriously bummed about the end of skiing as well. It does make the heart swoon as a parent doesn't it? But we can still ski with our kids if we want, i'm thinking the trail to town will remain skiable for a while. Shuttle to prairie t and ski down. Sidewinder is treachery, especially if there is fresh snow (which is coming apparently), but there are easy solutions to avoiding that. One of the beautiful features of Smithers is coming to the forefront right now and that is the crazy easy access we have to skiing and mountains and solitude here.

Peace all
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 03-22-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Nice AP ! I been looking up there and wondering when someone was gona do the 7000 and I was a little worried about wind loading in the hour glass but I assume its all settled down

L hutz & AP just cuz the parents are skiers does not mean the kids become skiers but it looks like you are raising a couple of real HBM skier kids and thats awesume !

Did that Bob's yer uncle sign ever get put up, I was after them to get it up cuz I told told everyone thats gona be the name ?

Thanks Al - yep we are working on generation 4 skiing on HBM. The sign is up - I have a pic where the girls crossed out “uncle” and replaced it with “grandpa”. The grandparents should be back this week- then it is 14 days.

You ambulatory Al?

thats awesume !

I thot it was 3 generations but thats awesume !

I don't know if Bob believed me when I said I had decided to call the run " Bob's yer uncle " and the hill had agreed so I was after Michel to get that sign up this season but i never got to see it before I kacked the knee so post it up if ya got it !

yeah I was off crutches on day 3 so I been walking to the craft brews no problem except now they are closed of course, i been a very good boy so whatever can heal did healed and i'm not in any pain but ACL/meniscus needs to get fixed in, I been reffered to the pro in PG but who knows when that will be ??

Northern BC 2013/2014 Stoke, Conditions

The Mrs has the pic - I’ll try to grab it. Yep grandma tina’s old man and the rest of the stam family built the powder hounds cabin just above the Watsons on sidewinder back when it was only the prairie Bob was pretty tickled when we sent him a vid of the kids (mine and the cousins) ripping “his” run. Thanks for that Al!