Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Sweeney is looking like it isn't going to happen at this point. I'm still confident run cutting will happen however. We've still got at least a good 6 week window on that front. I did another recon/folding saw mission a couple weeks ago and started working on some stuff. I figure a couple good efforts and we can open up some pretty interesting stuff. Probably nothing on big scale but I know a bunch of little connectors and fingers that can really open some cool stuff. My in laws are here for another week or so but after that we should get to it.

Turns to be had above Crater Lake in Smithers. Rock skis a must.

A small group of us flew into Burnie hut to change the stove out , fine tune the nano hydro, do maintenance and build some trail so being october 20th I brought gortex/pile/wool at least 5 layers but it was like summer and I only needed one or 2 ...hurry up snow
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Turns to be had above Crater Lake in Smithers. Rock skis a must.
    Snow has melted. No more turns to be had.

Snow in town before Halloween is the norm so its definatley late this year, AP and I did a side country mission with the saws probably the last of the year and there is SFA at the top of the hill ... walking around in just a couple inches

Still no snow! Might as well talk about what's new in our fair corner of the ski world;

- 2 new runs at Hankin
    - New spring hours at Hudson Bay Mounatain. They wil be running the lifts until 5:30 come late March / early April
    - New slack country terrain at HBM
    - Word on the street is that the Extreme Everest Challenge will be better organised and bigger again this year.

Anythin new is your neck of the Northern BC woods?

geeezus - Shames is hopping this year.

Good Morning, Here's your Snow Report for Sunday Dec. 22 at 5:30am:
    Currently at the Mountain it is -3, Snowing and Calm.
    10cm of New Snow.
    Mid-Mountain Base: 185cm
    Lodge Base: 122cm
    Very Good on Groomed.
    Runs Groomed: Rainbow Ridge, South Paw, Short Cut, Sternwheeler, Potline, Back Eddy, Exhibition and Big Bunny.

MMC-Shames Mountain is open Daily until Jan. 5, Closed Christmas Day, with lifts operating from 9am - 3:30pm.

Shames Express Bus is also available Daily until Jan. 5, No bus on Christmas Day. Bus leaves Westend Copperside (beside Boston Pizza) at 8am. Cost is FREE thanks to a sponsorship from Cambria Gordon. There are only 22 seats available, so get there early.

We had a Fantastic start to our Christmas Break yesterday, and with more snow falling today I think it is going to continue.

Please drive with care, Happy Holidays from all of us here at MMC-Shames Mountain.

Thanks for reviving this thread Lee. Shames is indeed hoping this year. Heading there on the 29th myself.

The road into Hankin Backcountry Area is getting plowed tommorrow. Should be ready to rock and roll as of the 25th.

^^^ A snafu occurred on the plowing of the road into Hankin. It is therefore not plowed and not open. People are being asked to stay away (sleds included) as the resulting compaction turns the plowing efforts into something considerably more difficult and expensive.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Well that was a very enjoyable read.

Looking forward to more pics and stories

oh hai! I'm new here....know Lee and Sharon from a past life and correspond with the small hazn on the onterwebs.

back from a long hiatus from serious skiing and find myself in Smithers after stints on PG ,Squamish and North Van. Having the time of my life here,looking forward to a great ski season and meeting some folks to ride with.

Hankin road open!

Gonna be gracing Terrace with my presence over the next week since PG has been hammered by rain at lower elevations.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

http://www.mountainweatherservices.c...o_ShredFX.html

My Mtn Co-op FB pg says 200 cm in last 8 days...

it^^ took that long?

Its not unheard of shames to book 200cms over night

After the xmas madness of Vangroovy where I spent an ass load of money on ski gear its good to be home in Smithers, so I blew off the only work I had and its time to ski !

Headin up to Mackenzie with a buddy who's from there. Stoked to schralp neck deep pow all week!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

it is gonna be cold at PK...

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    it is gonna be cold at PK...
    Stone cold good times!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Damns Terrace is teh wetness... Looks like everything that could slide has slid.

Hey Moosepit! pm me let's make some turns and have a beer.

XXXer have fun with Polly, hear she's coming your way.

Nice to be back home. Even if it's a bit heavy...
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Fack! The last couple days have been rad. Lazy alpine starts and multiple shames slack country laps have been the perfect chill out holiday. It is positively nuking, multiple centimetres an hour... Snowing so fuckin hard we pulled the pin on the crabbin expedition, I guess I will have to wait until next time to catch crabs.

Probably gonna be a shred fest tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Pit View Post
    Fack! The last couple days have been rad. Lazy alpine starts and multiple shames slack country laps have been the perfect chill out holiday. It is positively nuking, multiple centimetres an hour... Snowing so fuckin hard we pulled the pin on the crabbin expedition, I guess I will have to wait until next time to catch crabs.

Probably gonna be a shred fest tomorrow...
    Sounds amazing. Any viz at all for touring? Good timing on your expedition although everything up north sounds like its going off right now. PK's snow totals are insane

If you want crabs,just use any public toilet in Terrace....

Was snowing about 2"/hour out on the Hankin fsr behind HBM yesterday for about 8 inches for the time i was there. Did my first ski to town the other day, I love this place,

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post

XXXer have fun with Polly, hear she's coming your way.

Nice to be back home. Even if it's a bit heavy...
    yeah on newyears eve I ran into Jay with the terrace contingent up the hill and never made it home, I took them to hankin yesturday

Polly & I decided the "which is better terrace or smithers" hatchet needs to be buried cuz its just so awesume to have it all SO the plan is for more of the cross cultural exchanges

I was also at hankin on monday the coverage is actualy pretty good, the snow is good to almost the bottom of the runs where it is a little rain wetted but not bad, the road is OK and word is we are VERY close to finding a new plow contracter ...VERY cool

the O zone at the ski area has enough coverage and I got 1st tracks on a run I helped cut last fall ...very cool

A govy type did a snow column in one of their regular test plots on the hill, sez we are actualy ahead of last year which was no screaming hell either but still ... things are OK

xxx-er more x-cultural exchange is always a good thing. When I first moved up here it was a pretty tight group from Rupert to Houston.

Here's some shots of lately at Shames. It has been a very very good few days with nuking snow falls and falling temps. Today (no photos) was blue bird with remnants of about 1.5m in the last little while and a backcountry virtually untouched at the start of the day.

When I figure out the POV movie edit thing I'll post up some up. Had some sweet lines with buddies and son lately.

My son's buddy Josh.

Josh

My lad.

Some scenic on the way home.

“I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!