Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1946
    Went back to Wesach for some more snow play a few days ago. Joined local legend Brad and the mayor of Shames, garyfromterrace, for 1/6th of the ski day.

The recent good whack of precip that hinted at a substantial addition of snowpack onto the previous surfaces didn't manifest as such. After getting an up close view of the ski terrain, I chickened out/bailed out after an hour's worth of approach hike. Didn't wanna ruin a perfectly good gravel ski season due to a bad crash in suboptimal snow.

Returned to truck to watch 3.5 hours of the Deadwood series on the laptop while da boys slayed the windslab. Was kinda cool monitoring their progress out of the window of the truck. Little moving black dots contrasted against the rock peppered white canvas. Totally stoked for their mission success and high fives to The Mayor for day number 99 of the skison.

Name:  P1110717.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  129.9 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Hey man, just great to spend time with you again! Great day with you guys, tell you what.

I did pull out the phone a bit so, with apologies to quality and lack of much in the way of downhill, here's some pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	down.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	297249

It was day one of off-roading for the new truck, pretty stoked that it was at Wesach, aboot 70km north of T town. The ZR-2 didn't disappoint, nor did the views on the way up the de-activated logging road.

Name:	down-2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	297250

Swissiphic, prior to pulling the pin in favour of Deadwood. Probably a good choice today.

Name:	down-3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	297251

Up the creek goes the Swiss one.

Name:	down-4.jpg 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	297252

Name:	down-5.jpg 
Size:	972.1 KB 
ID:	297253

Then it's just me and Brad. My good and amazingly fit friend bootpacking the way up. It's nice to have uber-fit buddies. When I did lead a few steps, thought skinning would be easier, Brad just passed me and kept stepping. So I kept my skis on my pack, shut up, and tried to keep up.

Name:	down-7.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	297254

Brad still chugging. What fun (when your partner does all the work haha)!

Name:	down-8.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	297255

Brad at the turn-around.

Name:	down-9.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	677.7 KB 
ID:	297256

My one shitty downhill photo. Sorry.

Name:	down-10.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	297257

The drive out was insanely beautiful. Even through the lens of a cell phone (no photo-shoppy).

Name:	down-12.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	639.3 KB 
ID:	297258

Seriously, I thought I was in a Bloom County cartoon strip...

Name:	down-13.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	297259

So I'm now firmly and immovably back in Terrace. It's been some work getting the house all gussied up to the Missus's satisfaction, but we have taken time out for some play. Part of which has been mountain biking the wonderful Steinhoe/Lichen Loop area a couple of times. First time - 2 or 3 pounds of Chantrelles. Today, a pound of coral mushroom and a bolete. I love being home again.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Happy wife happy life G

5 inches of new pow ^^a couple of old guys walking into the sun with their saws

Bri guy and Joe, starting the run that will be White fang,

both those guys are suposed to be dead but they are still goer's eh

Name:  cutting.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  79.4 KB
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ha, true man. Looking forward to ripping at ole HB this winter. I think Viv will really enjoy skiing there. Sounds like I've got some new terrain to look forward to as well, can't wait. I'll try to give you Smiths mags some warning. Shit, I've only made turns with Al!

Nice work Al and AP and all the wicked vollies you got there!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

We can hear the feller buncher down lower on the hill so a way more fibre than can be done by 5 guys with chainsaws is getting cut

you ptobbaly never had a chance to ski " 7 sisters" or "Bob's yer uncle" which we have cut in the last 5 years, also brushed snowbound last year

The last 2 years all i did was keep the program going and kill some trees but having the Brian-tologist back ( retired high balling RE agent) to negotiate a raise for the cutters and get the logging show organized has been good

it doesn't hurt that the new pellet mill now wants all that shitty wood that was not marketable

Daaaaaaaaaamn..........

Bell 2 area kickin' ass and takin' names with the early season snowfall so far this season. This morning's view from the recently installed remote webcam at treeline immediately west of Redflat creek.

Looks like full game on for alpine and subalpine skiing at least.

Name:  71969926_10162715866030495_4015225256988901376_n.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  33.4 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

this last week we cut the openning to White Fang which wa needed to do so the feller bunchers didnt make a mess of the start, this is a shot from the top pretty much at tree line, it took 2 of us about 3 days (an extra guy did show for 1 day ) there was quite a bit of linking up the opennings

we can hear the feller buncher down low, hopefully he gets up here before the snow shuts him down

that was just as the snow started, about 13 cms in the last 24hrs on top of what was there, pretty sure i can still drive up there and walking in that amount of snow won't be impossible

Name:  whitefang.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  102.6 KB

Where's white fang?

Good to see Briguy on the up and up. Hope he's doin' good.
    Master of mediocrity.

that ^^ is taken pretty much from where Chapmans & Ptarmigan go their seperate directions, it will go skiers left of Bob's yer Uncle so it will use up more of the treed area between runs

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    that ^^ is taken pretty much from where Chapmans & Ptarmigan go their seperate directions, it will go skiers left of Bob's yer Uncle so it will use up more of the treed area between runs
    Really lookin' forward to some hill days at HBM. Don't think I've skied there since a lot of the recent years' worth of run cutting and custom thinning/glading stuff has been done. Nice work.

With my refreshed Vulcan 3.0 progressive forward flex boot mod, I'm even looking forward to hittin' The Gully kids trail at top of twinkle toes and workin' the whoop dee doos and bankin' off the walls and stuff. lol. Was a fave trail when I was a kid...hope it's still there.
    Master of mediocrity.

Decent early season turns up at hill last night.

^^
    Right on AP. Plotting an overnighter in the Sisters when the weather breaks. Possibly Monday.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Decent early season turns up at hill last night.
    Bri guy wants to cut trees tomorrow but after last nights dump its looking like 1/2 a meter up there which is too much snow to post hole around in dragging a saw but it might be time to find all the ski gear !

... after last nights dump its looking like 1/2 a meter up there...
    Wow, u weren't kidding. Solid El Dumpemundo.

Name:  snowat4pm.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  St20191025_075759_0432X.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  136.3 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Bri guy wants to cut trees tomorrow but after last nights dump its looking like 1/2 a meter up there which is too much snow to post hole around in dragging a saw but it might be time to find all the ski gear !
    I was lapping the T side until midnight last night and i can confirm that it is indeed time to pull out the ski gear Al.

Angle parking only skiing Angle parking only with spider the ski dog following along

Its really early to be in here but nobody hit any rocks

Name:  APO.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  100.9 KB

Thanks for the turns this weekend Al, and thanks for helping me out with my skins.

Swiss and Gary, I am wondering if there is much snow at Shames? We kinda got hammered by a rain / snow mix here yesterday so things are not looking great here for skiing this weekend. Any chance Shames has snow?

on wednesday we finished brushing that run up to the chair line and up the line a little, I think the program is done

Bri guy sez they wana wrap the program for this year SO go in for the pass pictures soonest

lota rain last night, i think the warm temps were everywhere ... stay home and collect points

I'm outta town slayin' sand and gravel in other parts of the province, A.P.

I'm thinkin' the terrace area experienced a full thermonuclear, pineapple express driven monsoon meltdown. Hopefully temps cool and precip continues for some recovery snowfall.

Pounded warm rain all day in Terrace yesterday. Warm temps to plus 4ish at 1400 meters 1/3 of the distance to Rupert, plus 7 today at base of shames.

Buddy in rupert reported that hays creek that runs beside the civic center is overflowing its banks...I recall living in rupert and making note of the 24 hour precip value required for it to do so but can't recall...i think it was over 100mm in 24 hours...

Looks like the Stewart/Bell 2 area fared much better yesterday with some warming today though.

Winter storm reported in Bear Pass with accumulation of about 15cms. Turned to rain today. Don't know where snowline is presently, but yesterday produced a decent snowfall and there's now 35cms at treeline.

Suspect line of demarcation between warm and cold yesterday to be somewhere at the southern fringe of Cambria Icefield. Guido's Ghettowerx Gut Feel intuition.

Mez/Bear Pass yesterday

Name:  74498764_10156751417056717_21569733782405120_n.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  Untitledi7tyghj.png
Views: 845
Size:  121.6 KB

Cliff out sand/gravel line somewhere in the southern interior yesterday. Hero dirt.

Name:  vlcsnap-2019-11-07-22h37m58s921.png
Views: 788
Size:  688.5 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-08-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Name:	down.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	301802

Headed into the Seven Sisters a couple of weeks ago to see how much I sucked carrying an overnight pack and to check if I remembered how to sleep outside. OK also to spend time in one of my favorite places on the planet. Getting back to town meant getting my quad back from a 6 year lend to the ski hill, so that meant I could actually access without a multi-day approach. Anyway, sitting here with a stomach bug in La Ventana has awarded me the time to post er up.

I hope that the rain I hear you're getting isn't screwing everything up, and that freezing levels haven't gotten too far up the alpine.

Name:	down-2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	301808

Coyote Creek trail was snow covered most of the way up. At least 2/3's of it, with the last 1/3 probably 20 - 40cms. Got my quad riding game up at least. Managed to get the quad to within about 0.5 of a km to the end of the road, so I was pretty happy when I packed up my shit and headed up.

Name:	down-3.jpg 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	301812

This corner is one of my favorite spots, the massif shows itself for the first time on the trail.

Name:	down-4.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	301813

Terrace is down at the edge of the valley cloud in the middle middle of the photo.

Name:	down-5.jpg 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	301814

Mt Atna is visible way off upper right. You could see the Howsen Range from my camping spot as well.

Name:	down-6.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	301815

It was a glorious sunset up there.

Name:	down-7.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	301817

My one actual ski run (other than the ski out, which really wasn't much of a ski, more of a survival-fest back to the quad). The 300 vert or so was really shitty. 20mm breakable sun crust. Glad I wasn't there for the pow.

Name:	down-8.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	958.8 KB 
ID:	301818

Name:	down-9.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	301819

At least the avi debris was friendly.

And with that, I headed back to town. Humbled by a big place and a full pack. Lovely night under spectacular stars with a few meteorites thrown in the mix.

So I figured I started on the quad at 160m (500'), parked it at 1400m (4600') in 40cms of snow, possibly some gone by now...; and walked to 1900m (6233'). Where I set up camp. My pit was at about 1930m and I had 1.4m HS. There was a sun crust on the surface (1cm), at 40cms and 65cms.
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 11-10-2019 at 06:26 PM.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Great photos and write up, Gary. Looks like an awesome trip!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Nice work Gary! Great to see some really nice fresh pics from the Sisses. And when u said u quadded up the coyote creek road...didja do the old valley bottom start or the new logging road then hook into the C.C. road up a coupla thousand feet? As for the stomach bug, hope you brought along adequate supplies of that Polish Porch Peeler vodka to kill the germs. Before hauling back a swig a decade ago, I recall reading the fine print on the label and it sed that along with killing brain cells it kills parameciums. Win/win.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 11-13-2019 at 04:59 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Nice solo mission Gary! What a cool part of the world you live in, I really enjoyed the photos. Have a great season once it fully arrives!

Bell 2/Redflat Creek showing a 145cms snowpack depth just below treeline today.

Damn fine start in that part of the neighborhood.

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	924.9 KB 
ID:	302214
    Master of mediocrity.