Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1395
    Have fun.

When you ascend 4 hours up bullet proof snow, all the while telling yourself everything will be good in the couloir only to look down it and realize that it is rock strewn, barely wide enough for your skies, possibly cut off 1/2 way down, bullet proof and otherwise snowless and now you have to down climb to a spot where you can transition and in order to descend on the same garbage you just climb because that is your best option.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2168.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	270270

#lowtide #good times in the Bulkley Valley

....and somehow you still kinda had a good time.

cool! what is that?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    When you ascend 4 hours up bullet proof snow, all the while telling yourself everything will be good in the couloir only to look down it and realize that it is rock strewn, barely wide enough for your skies, possibly cut off 1/2 way down, bullet proof and otherwise snowless and now you have to down climb to a spot where you can transition and in order to descend on the same garbage you just climb because that is your best option.

Name:	IMG_2168.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	270270

#lowtide #good times in the Bulkley Valley

....and somehow you still kinda had a good time.
    ugh. Type "3" fun ?
    Nice work just putting in the effort AP. You don't know until ya go.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Maya’s couloir and the last time I was there was with you, Lothar and Kelson and we skied it without a hitch.

Nice work A.P.! If yer up for bootpacking 40-45 degree boot ankle to mid cuff loose facets over a decomposing crust over another 20cms of facets over another crust...come to bear pass for some night missions! Did a test run trying to do a standard boot pack up a line and just wallowed and spun the tires. With necessity being the mother of all invention, went back the next day with my brand spankin' new custom shaped milk crate bottoms breakable crust conquering machines. Game changer. Felt like I was rest stepping up a flight of steep stairs. Also refined my bungee cord attached to scissored/overlapping tips/ski strapped at the neck ski drag system for the steeps. Keep skins on skis and the little puppies follow like a well trained dog, nary a whimper of protest and stay glued to steep slopes for smoke breaks. So much easier on the back with no ski weight and the bungee offeres dynamic tension so there's no herky/jerkiness to the dragged skis pulling at your back. You just kinda forget they're there. Ski quality was great!!!! Better than the alpine/treeline heliskiing lately for sure. BTL in bear pass is where it's at.

Name:	P1100556.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	270418
    Name:  P11005672.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  73.4 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 02-19-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

Are those milk-crate verts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Are those milk-crate verts?
    they sure are...kinda. I wanted more leading edge width and fore surface contact area to aim for potentially much better melt freeze spring variable breakable crust performance. The shape works good for the given snow conditions of loose facets over decomposing crust. Time will tell if i gotta refine it.

Also, the holes in the Dairylands means a guy could probably just slap on his crampons and the spikes will just poke through vertically and the front points would be clear of the leading edge...just in case you hit a white/blue ice section on the way up yer breakable crust, or, post holey type of snow in a coolie or up a face.

Best thing is, they're practically weightless.

I'm calling them the 'GhettoVerts'...and the first descent I used them for 'Dairyland'.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 02-19-2019 at 08:20 AM.

No snow in almost 2 weeks would explain the suckage

the hill was crazy busy all weekend, lots of wind yesturday stopped the T a couple times

Maya’s couloir and the last time I was there was with you, Lothar and Kelson and we skied it without a hitch.
    I remember that, t'was the week after the big walk and the feet were very sore feet

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Nice work A.P.! If yer up for bootpacking 40-45 degree boot ankle to mid cuff loose facets over a decomposing crust over another 20cms of facets over another crust...come to bear pass for some night missions! Did a test run trying to do a standard boot pack up a line and just wallowed and spun the tires. With necessity being the mother of all invention, went back the next day with my brand spankin' new custom shaped milk crate bottoms breakable crust conquering machines. Game changer. Felt like I was rest stepping up a flight of steep stairs. Also refined my bungee cord attached to scissored/overlapping tips/ski strapped at the neck ski drag system for the steeps. Keep skins on skis and the little puppies follow like a well trained dog, nary a whimper of protest and stay glued to steep slopes for smoke breaks. So much easier on the back with no ski weight and the bungee offeres dynamic tension so there's no herky/jerkiness to the dragged skis pulling at your back. You just kinda forget they're there. Ski quality was great!!!! Better than the alpine/treeline heliskiing lately for sure. BTL in bear pass is where it's at.

Name:	P1100556.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	270418
    Name:  P11005672.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  73.4 KB
    Good shit right here.
    I love it.
    Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Back to the Dairyland zone for another hit it and quit it milk crate product testing night mission.

Ventured into previously sluffed out/wind affected terrain and suffered a bit on the uphill...so did the milk crates. Torque from leading edge angulated foot placements caused minor bowing and cracking in the plastic. It appears that structural reinforcement will be required for durability. Kinda thinkin' 1/8 or 1/4 thick alu L shaped beams along the leading edge will do the trick. Mods to commence shortly.

Ski quality was interesting...steep pitch with dust on ice or hard crust strewn with previous tree bomb landmines. Some pockets/turns of soft old decomposed windslab and four turns of settled old facets with 10cms of fresh on top. Fun, techy, one-turn-at-a-time skiing.

Full moon created an amazing winter ambiance...stoked to bear witness to a true highlight of winter...full moon night skiing.

Name:  vlcsnap-2019-02-20-23h24m58s602.png
Views: 276
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-2019-02-20-23h26m09s049.png
Views: 277
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:	IMG_5262.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	273227

Low tide + green light = 5000

Stunning.

Is that the King Louis face?

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Stunning.

Is that the King Louis face?
    Yep

Name:	967A1B0D-9DC9-44E7-BFCB-673C8EA6E1DE.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	624.4 KB 
ID:	273305

Name:	699F07E6-EFD2-4AEF-A824-CA416C085DA6.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	610.4 KB 
ID:	273306

Damn... 'tis a nice part of the neighborhood you guys live in there. Heart swells for quality of NWBC life...we really do have it all when it comes to diversity of ski terrain, snowpacks and microbreweries.

Name:	IMG_5262.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	273227

Low tide + green light = 5000
    Oh yeah AP! One of my bucket listers there, hope you can show it to me in person when I get back there. Not too many ski runs that have been on my to do list for 20+ years. Nicely done, thanks for posting up!

Absolutely nuking in Stewart, atm...

About 45cms on the ground from the past 11 hours of stacked twonie drops and still comin' down hard.

It's a true classic dump...just like the old days, it dumps on a weekend so the roads don't get plowed till monday, IIRC...so, faceshots driving around town.

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-03-10-23h12m37s632.jpg 
Size:	295.1 KB 
ID:	273450

Name:	P1100720.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	373.7 KB 
ID:	273448

Name:	P1100719.jpg 
Size:	574.0 KB 
ID:	273449

Snow keeps piling up in the Stewart townsite. 70cms since around noon yesterday. Town is buried.

No match for the GAME CHANGER Stewart style custom vehicle snow rake. Cleaned off our vans like it was a light Terrace dusting.

Name:  P1100731.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  87.9 KB

Name:  P1100730.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  P1100737.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  93.1 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100731.jpg 
Size:	882.7 KB 
ID:	273461  

I'm scared too ask, but anyone care to inform me as to how HBM is holding up with this heat?

really good spring skiing/beer drinking

the weather site sez it isnt freezing at night but the snow is still pretty crunchy till aboiut noon

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

the weather site sez it isnt freezing at night but the snow is still pretty crunchy till aboiut noon
    That's good to hear. Forecast shows dipping temps for next week as well which is good since I am nowhere near done skiing for the year.

MEC was out of Gold Label btw. I'll see if I can score some elsewhere in cowtown.

Minus 1 @ 2000m on glaciers in the Howsons still

The long wave radiation game is strong atm. Cool natural phenomena that occurs well into may/early june based on personal experience gained from past overnighter camps at altitude...I recall a ski tour camping trip on may long weekend back in 2004ish where we camped at 6 500 feet in really warm conditions. Daytime highs on solar aspects were into the low/mid teens, upper snowpack was water saturated wet grains. Night time lows only got to around 7 degrees C and we woke up with a barely supportive refreeze crust every morning.

My strategy for these conditions is work the open slope, afternoon shading, long wave radiation cooled snow. Use the google earth "show sunlight" feature to find the shadow lines on terrain of interest and time the afternoon to early evening outing to ski that specific terrain and exact ski lines to hedge bets for the best skiing feel and glide in the either micro refreezing wet grains, or, not yet refreezing but slicker skiing snow due to the arresting of the free water percolating down from the surface grains.

Factors that negate the cooling/refreeze are; obviously any cloud cover which greenhouses the snowpack, warm rock radiating heat in couloirs or at sides of open slopes, large tree trunks and longwave blocking tree canopy sections. Ideally, I look for generally polar aspect, open slopes with a bit lower angle of pitch.

Here's an example of a zone I ski in early to mid may and the ski line that hugs the shade line in the early evening. Nice little 2000 vert foot shot that always provides a tight ending to a pleasant spring day if the weather/snow stars align.

It's all about strateski, contrarskian tactics: leave late, get back home even later...here's what my spring line will look like on may 5th at 7:30pm.

Name:	Untitled2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	358.8 KB 
ID:	275247

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	272.1 KB 
ID:	275248

That's good to hear. Forecast shows dipping temps for next week as well which is good since I am nowhere near done skiing for the year.

MEC was out of Gold Label btw. I'll see if I can score some elsewhere in cowtown.
    I found a tube in the skin box so no worries we can still reglue your skins and i can restock this fall

I usually stock a couple tubes for this very reason

I found a tube in the skin box so no worries we can still reglue your skins and i can restock this fall

I usually stock a couple tubes for this very reason
    Awesome thanks.