Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    book smart maybe, but he and john decided to leave all avy gear in the car on that super sketchy dreadful day in 96'. my hands still ache from the cold probing for those guys for hours with my ole peips 457 optifinder being useless.

visited the cache yesterday. RIP.

rog
    nothing out of line IMO. Truth, and you're talking about the 96 victims--certainly enough time has passed. And your anger is justified--look at how Albert Dow died--avalanched while searching for a benighted party. When we make bad decisions the lives we risk are not just our own. (I was benighted on the Alpine Garden at the top of Damnation--pinned down by wind. No one came looking for us.)
    Last time I climbed in Huntington Ravine was Dec 75--I guess beacons were available but I had never heard of them.
    Last edited by old goat; 03-27-2013 at 06:18 PM.

I had an avi come over me while belaying the first pitch of pinnacle. Thankfully my partner had a screw in. We hightailed it out of there but not before watching another gully flush out.

Here's the crown. In the above pic from Totaliboard, the debris is there, but it's been wind hammered into the floor. The floor looks to have picked up about roughly 8' of depth from this avalanche and the recent storm cycles. that pic was about 48 hours after the slide and they were getting 100mph winds when it went.

I wonder if this is on the small side of both R4 and D4, guessing it would have derailed a rail road car, destroyed any building in its path, etc. What would a true R5 be in tucks? I guess breaking well up on the ridge where it has dropped to 25-28 degrees, and running almost all the way to the end of the bowl? Theoretically, could it start on the summit cone and go all the way down the little headwall (possibly taking out Hojo's).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-25-center-bowl-crown.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	135573  
    Last edited by neufox47; 03-28-2013 at 09:48 AM.

word! thanks neufox. looks like a fat one in the center and then a couple more to skiiers left that stepped down a layer or so..
    long live the jahrator