Teton Skier Killed in Avalanche 3-1-13

sad news

Been some rough times up there the last couple of years.

ugh, vibes to family and friends.

Shitty.

Powder's post of the JH News and Guide article on Facebook said it was a low-moderate day. Interested to read the incident report.

Edit: BTAC has limited info up right now. 9000' N aspect, greater than 45 degrees, Class 1. If he was only partially buried, but partner was unable to resuscitate, I wonder if he was swept over a cliff band/rocks. Really sad to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Ah, crap. Friend of my wife's.

man.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Edit: BTAC has limited info up right now. 9000' N aspect, greater than 45 degrees, Class 1. If he was only partially buried, but partner was unable to resuscitate, I wonder if he was swept over a cliff band/rocks. Really sad to hear.
    Its a really bad place to go for even a little ride. It chokes down to a ski length wide in the lower section. The line goes up into the bowl and left behind the cliff. Jared was one of the good guys. RIP.

"The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Its a really bad place to go for even a little ride. It chokes down to a ski length wide in the lower section. The line goes up into the bowl and left behind the cliff. Jared was one of the good guys. RIP.

Vibes to those left behind. Looks like that area slid yesterday. http://jhavalanche.org/eventmap/index.php

Wow. Amazing line. And quite obviously not a good place to be in a slide. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Just talked to my brother out there. He said that area's been ski'd a few times before this year. He also said Spackman really had his shit together and was one hell of a skier and mountaineer. He's really shocked about this and just crushed for his family.

This is shitty, sounds like someone i would like to have known.
    Vibes

Jared was a good man, husband, good son, good brother, and a good friend. Heavy hearts everywhere.

Really solid guy. So sad.

very bad news, vibes to his family and friends
    Corner store junkies giving advice

RIP and vibes to his friends and family

A small slide can be fatal with a terrain trap like that

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ah, crap. Friend of my wife's.

man.
    Fuuuuck! Jared was a solid dude.

Rip

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

The Apocalypse has been ridden a LOT in recent years. Not every day, but "all the time". I like to skin up to the top and ski the 'blue run' back towards Phelps Lake. There's almost always evidence of folks rapping in. When glassing from the valley floor, it's common to see a skin track up with no tracks coming back down the easy way.

Many of us have been enjoying following these guys adventures on outer local. The following is a tough read, they were gettin' after it and were so stoked! A scroll through the pics shows the severity of the terrain. RIP. http://outerlocal.com/skiing/the-rapture-outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Trace Hardslab View Post
    The Apocalypse has been ridden a LOT in recent years. Not every day, but "all the time". I like to skin up to the top and ski the 'blue run' back towards Phelps Lake. There's almost always evidence of folks rapping in. When glassing from the valley floor, it's common to see a skin track up with no tracks coming back down the easy way.

Many of us have been enjoying following these guys adventures on outer local. The following is a tough read, they were gettin' after it and were so stoked! A scroll through the pics shows the severity of the terrain. RIP. http://outerlocal.com/skiing/the-rapture-outpost
    the outerlocal article was a nice, but more so sad, read. this death is very odd. again, sad. vibes to all his friends.