Beta on Mammoth to Tioga/Lee Vining tour?

We're planning on a tour from Mammoth to Tioga Pass, then down the road to Lee Vining. Going the last week in March.

Anyone here done this tour? I've read the guidebook, but am looking for any useful information.

In particular:

What's the snow been like in the area this year?

Is there a good Avalanche web site that covers this part of the Sierras?

Any reason to take a rope or other mountaineering gear on this tour, or would a Whippet be sufficient? Any crazy impassable cornices or other obstacles that we should anticipate?

Can we expect to be able to ski down the road from Tioga Pass to Lee Vining, or will we be hiking?

Any other advice or information?

Thanks in advance.

I'll try and help with this part...

Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center
    http://esavalanche.org/

Thanks!

That's just what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by -Devin- View Post
    I'll try and help with this part...

Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center
    http://esavalanche.org/

a whippet should be enough. i'd bring some foot points as well just in case. as far as going down the road, you should throw in a wee extra climb to the top of the dana plateau and ski one of the various rad couloirs down to lee vining. the powerhouse run is prolly most reliable to ski right to your car. leave your shuttle car at the power plant at the end of the dirt rod that parrallels 120 before it starts climbing. seriously, no need to ski/walk down the road. rockfall hazard is huge along parts of that stretch as well.

the snowpack is ok this year. great start, very week mid-winter, hopin for a miracle march. there should be enough for your tour though

Thanks for the input. I'm not familiar with the Powerhouse couloir. What's it like? How would I recognize it once I get up on the dana plateau?