TR: Big Sky Delivers

Haven't had the opportunity to post a TR in a while but glad to have scored a trip worth sharing. Spent this past weekend in Big Sky with a pretty perfect string of 3 days. I hadn't been back since the tram went in and was curious to get a taste of the 'biggest skiing in America'.
    Although I did shred there in 92

We arrived on Thursday night and skied Friday with a few inches of fresh and good visibility - perfect for getting our bearings, figuring out the mountain layout, and putting some time in with family. By Friday night snow had arrived, and by Saturday morning it was dumping.

Saturday was full on storm skiing with refills a plenty. 1thelady1 and TheSis enjoying Saturday mornin

1thelady1 southside pow

TheSis enjoying a stash on the lower mountain

Yours truly airing it out

and gettin spinny wid it

Storm day at Big Sky was a great change of pace from the UT resorts...almost no one around and fresh lines everywhere but right under the lift. The storm wrapped up that evening after dropping about 12" of fresh. And the next morning, skies were blue (and pink and all that other good shit)

View of Lone Peak from the lower chair

The storm had some decent wind on the tail end and turned the entire mountain into a fresh canvas. Here some early risers get some wiggles under the Lone Peak Triple

The addition of the tram really transformed the mountain (i recognize being 20 yrs behind on this but hey, new to me). Off the southside on a powder day there are easily 2000ft alpine descents. Feels quite unique, especially with the limited capacity getting people up there. 1TN1 enjoying a long sunny pow shot from the top of the tram

1thelady1 enjoying the tree stashes lower down

Some mid mountain wind buff

Sending

Then we took a walk up the ridge. Lone Peak tram lookers left, A-Z Chutes off the left side of the ridge and The Headwaters off the right side into Moonlight Basin.

The walk was sporty at times with some big exposure underneath, but each of the tougher spots had some additional holds available.

We headed to the far end of the ridge and skied down from near the peak lookers right

Looking down

and up

Then headed down for some puppy pow

And hit the road headed back south for a beautiful sunset drive through Yellowstone

A great string of days that reminded me how fun it is to explore new places and old. Thanks for lookin
    1TN1

nice....love seeing Big Sky stoke.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

hell ya, it always pumps me up to see the big sky stoke.

very nice! challenger did NOT suck on saturday, but damn was it crowded

Was there on Saturday. Wish it had been Sunday for me, blue bird versus cloud central. But powder shots were great either day. Nice tr.

Nice! I love Big Sky.

Nice TR, was a good weekend. Another 3-5" forecast for tonite.

Fingers XXXed
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Nice! Headed out to Bridger/BS for a 4.5 days starting Saturday. Don't think I'll hit the weather as well as you did, but that pic of Lone Peak got the stoke metered ratcheted up!

Thanks for the stoke!

fresh pow ...
    blue bird ...
    phat lines ...
    skinny wife ...

living the dream dude ...

living the dream !!!
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Lookin good down there! Nice timing of the trip!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

yay!!!! i love bigsky!!!!!! great post!!!!!!

I must ski there some day. Love that country...
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Apparently I've been working too much... Bunion, when'd ya put the rope in on the hike above Hellroaring? People didn't like wrenching their fingers in the mesh?

Nice little TR, glad ya enjoyed yourselves. I like your perspective on the tram. And your '92 photo. I wish I had ski schoolers showing up in backwards hats.
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

Way to take Mrs. Naton and get it dude.

Love seeing her negotiating the exposed hike, thats a highlight.

only lived there for 8 years or so but those pictures really brought back the awesomeness stoke factor...THANKS!!!!

ya but no shit, all your pics have hands in front, like this grom...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Thanks all. And thanks Tye, we take that stuf serious!!

Sweet trip, was there last year the same weekend. Looks like it delivered!

rice bowl lookin niceee

cant wait to get back there this spring
    long live the jahrator

Quote Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 View Post

View of Lone Peak from the lower chair
    Just love this pic. Really miss driving up there to see L.P. on a blue bird day with fresh pow. Was my home mtn. for 8 years. Have not been back for a while. Need to. Thanks for the stoke!

Just booked 4/8-4/12 to bozeman. Pics look pretty unsucky. Thx for the stoke lookin forward to hittin it.

Awesomeness. Heading out with orangegondola, some non-mags, and possibly MMP (c'mon dude, make it happen!) on Saturday. You just got me even more stoked - gracias!
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

big sky = worthy

Was at MLB Thursday, Big Sky Friday, and MLB again for the freaking fantastic Saturday. Man it was prime. Glad you had a great time! Hard not to at at a place like that. Saturday's going down in my books as one of my best ski days ever!

Was in the Big Sky area all last week, and Saturday was the best day I got - Too bad I had to get back on a plane on Sunday AM.

And, you said the walk up the ridge above the challenger chair was 'sporty' - I took off for a solo walk on Saturday right about the time that the wind really picked up. The whiteout conditions let me get to within one step of falling off the ridge onto the Big Sky side - my next step was going to be air, maybe about where the next group back is?

Decided I had gone far enough and dropped into the MLB side, about the 3rd chute/run, Firehole I think? Great snow, would have been epic on Sunday.
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid