• Las Lenas

27 67.50%
  • Bariloche/Catedral

7 17.50%
  • Other

4 10.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit
    Unless you've actually seen Los Molles and know what you'd be letting yourself in for I'd strongly caution against this plan. There is an active market in cheap beds and room shares amongst US/Euro travellers in LL itself. Riding a bus up and down the highway to Los Molles everyday would suck pole and mean missing out on much of the LL atmosphere.

When everyone has their schedules nailed down how about booking a maggot condo from Brice at http://www.laslenasski.com/ ?

Nope, never been there...

I ended up with los molles because :

a) cheap
    b) can get 2person rooms for reasonable price. i have had my share of sleeping in dormitoriums/multiperson rooms allready, dont miss the circus that much...
    c)im not that much of a disco guy..i enjoy a pint (or four) but hangin in clubs and looking steeze has never been much of my cake.

But yes, if people have some kind of apartemento type accomodation in LL id be extremely intrested, love that type of lodging, unless i have to sleep under the kitchen table for a week (done that, sucks, jelly and the pieces of bread fall into the sleepingbag..)

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I'm not exactly sure about your timeframe, but by mid to late August there are a ton of gringos with appartments. If you're traveling solo you can definitely find a bed (even with 2 it is easy). Fairly cheap split 6 ways, you're close to the cafetorium (10 peso dinner and you get to meet all the other bro/bras), for TV they show old TGR movies on one channel and Argentine models on the other, and you get your own kitchen. Plus, instead of having to take that crap bus from Los Molles every day, they might actually let you drive the little Mercedes bus around LL!

c)im not that much of a disco guy, BUT you must enjoy a pint of wine (or four) and hangin in clubs with ridirkulous Argentinas and looking dritbag-steeze. thats everyone's cake

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet
    Nope, never been there...

I ended up with los molles because :

a) cheap
    b) can get 2person rooms for reasonable price. i have had my share of sleeping in dormitoriums/multiperson rooms allready, dont miss the circus that much...
    c)im not that much of a disco guy..i enjoy a pint (or four) but hangin in clubs and looking steeze has never been much of my cake.

But yes, if people have some kind of apartemento type accomodation in LL id be extremely intrested, love that type of lodging, unless i have to sleep under the kitchen table for a week (done that, sucks, jelly and the pieces of bread fall into the sleepingbag..)
    The place is really basic - two or three shitty little farm buildings in the middle of nowhere. Plus if it snows I think your chances of getting stuck down there are high.

You'll need to be in the resort to take in the full experience - the wine bar should be an obligatory stop every evening and at least one meal at the Parilla (sp?)

I don't know how the exchange rate is doing at the moment but once you're down there everything is super cheap compared to anywhere in the states or europe. Consider taking ski gear that you're prepared to sell at the end of your trip, we had several people offer outrageous cash for our stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit
    The place is really basic - two or three shitty little farm buildings in the middle of nowhere. Plus if it snows I think your chances of getting stuck down there are high.
    Uurmm... Now you got me thinking..

Not about the farm thing, been stayin last 2-3 seasons in Italy in a village where we had cows nest(?) beneath our window, so that is no prob..
    Even liked it.
    I just love the smell of burnign cowdung in the morning.

But the being stuck thing aint no option..

Soo...

Tried to find some info on the same levell of accomodation in the village but only came up with the two hotels. Any pointters?

If any maggots plan to rent some apartemento, ill could be lining up for that.

Quite tidy, knows something about cooking (at least porridge), rarelly vomits all around the place, doesnt snore and hates washing dishes.

Any takers?

And shamrock, yes, i do have a flecky Carhart hoodie and a woolycap that has not been washed...ever. And i have been practicing the "cool freeskier that is not at all intrested in the chicas" look.
    Mainly because Mrs.Meathelmet has been insisting on it..

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Bariloche, I think, for me.
    It's really grown on me.
    Hehe. Have you done any touring to Refugio Frey, etc? I´ve only been there in summer (I think the Refugio is closed in the winter, but I´m planning on checking into that later in the month)

I´m trying to make it to Bariloche/LL in Aug/Sept. That may be a little much S America for the year though.

Bari! Bari-lo! Bari-lo-che!
    Last edited by cj001f; 03-10-2005 at 04:06 PM.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by shamrockpow
    they show old TGR movies on one channel and Argentine models on the other
    You can enjoy Fashion TV en Ingles on the interworld:
    Fashion TV

shamrock- I don't mean I am going to school down in south america, if thats what you thought I meant, sorry for the confusion- I will be starting here at the U of U late august. Until then I will be skiing... somewhere. I have money saved up for myself and am ready to take july and august abroad. I just dont know anything about anything, every spare moment I get is spent searching the net, etc for any information to help me get to either SA or NZ. But I still feel like a lost little girl. (which I am, and will be this summer, its going to be rad)

If there is any kind of condo thing coming together, I would definately be interested! And im not sure if I am clear on this, are there cheap hostell places or something in las lenas? I am eating all this info up and trying to keep it straight, thanks

can anyone find a long range forecast or an el nino expexted long term precips kinda deal ?
    shut up and ski

Quote Originally Posted by dude_le_skibum
    can anyone find a long range forecast or an el nino expexted long term precips kinda deal ?
    e4h, there are some long term forecasts, but how accurate. 1cm of snow remains from a last weekend at Cerro Castor today....

I would definitely be interested in linking up with some mags near end of July. The warm days would be fun. I could ski in a man-blouse and smoove chicas on the lift. Mmmmm. Damn.
    "Girl, let us freak."

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    e4h, there are some long term forecasts, but how accurate. 1cm of snow remains from a last weekend at Cerro Castor today....

but you can know if its going to be an el nino with tons of precips with a warmer pacific or a dry bone winter...

they also got 4 summits to rent, they are not long track but i am pretty sure they work and god knows i know the area...that was last year. probably could work again...
    shut up and ski

i took this off
    http://www.meteochile.cl/comunicado_ninonina.html

you got to read chileno-spanish

Acerca de escenario previsto para período invernal 2005 (Jun-Jul-Ago), los modelos de predicción de la temperatura superficial del mar en el Pacífico central (Niño3.4), prevén un 50% de probabilidad de que se mantenga con condiciones más cálidas que lo normal (anomalías positivas entre +0.5 y +1.0°C) y 45% de presentarse una condición neutra (anomalías entre -0.5°C y +0.5°C), es decir, ausencia de calentamientos y enfriamientos oceánicos significativos. Solo un 5% es asignado a la ocurrencia de un evento La Niña Ver figura 7. La situación oceánica dominante durante estos meses será determinante en definir el escenario pluviométrico más probable durante el invierno. Por tal motivo esta Dirección continuará monitoreado e informando a la comunidad de cualquier cambio significativo que sea observado en las temperaturas superficiales del mar ecuatorial y en los patrones de la circulación atmosférica para los siguientes meses, ambos considerados claves para el pronóstico estacional de la precipitación en Chile.
    this is te link to figura 7

http://www.meteochile.cl/ninonina_fig07.html

if i am getting this right. it calls for slightly warmer weather in the pacific ??
    shut up and ski

i have quotes for horse rentals but damn they don't work too well in the snow...
    Dude_le - that's classic! But sounds so much like South America!
    A TR from Termas with horses hauling gear- now that would rule!

Has anyone started looking into airfare? looks around 900 to buenos aires and 1100 to santiago. Thinking of going for the entire month of august if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99
    Dude_le - that's classic! But sounds so much like South America!
    A TR from Termas with horses hauling gear- now that would rule!

laugh now, but it is so do-able, there's 2 or 3 valleys that are only accessible by horse, with no habitants. and we have been hunting this cabin that suposelly exists...
    shut up and ski

laugh now, but it is so do-able, there's 2 or 3 valleys that are only accessible by horse, with no habitants. and we have been hunting this cabin that suposelly exists...
    Actually, I'm only laughing a little bit- I think that would be totally sweet! But I've also seen pics from horseback ski expeditions in SA. It just seems so perfect, though- for a South America TR.

"We loaded up the horses with our gear and set out for base camp ..."

That would be a hell of a way to start out a mini!

I have a pseudo-plan to spend three months in South America this summer after I graduate. My idea is to work and ski in Santiago from mid-June to mid-August, then spend a month in Las Lenas until mid-September. I don't know much about Bariloche, but maybe I'll split up the Las Lenas time with some time there. Good stories about Bariloche, anyone?

As far as places to stay in Las Lenas, I've talked with Mark Lasseter from laslenasski.com about a condo setup, but I'm thinking about just showing up and finding a place. Sounds like flying solo is no problem.

I've never been down there, so I can't freaking wait!

edit: JONG maneuver on the hyperlink - hooray.
    Last edited by Mach Looney; 03-14-2005 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach Looney
    My idea is to work and ski in Santiago from mid-June to mid-August
    Santiago? You really want to spend that much time there?

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    Santiago? You really want to spend that much time there?
    Sure. I'll probably need to work at a hostel or teach English to subsist while I'm down there. Argentina doesn't hire foreigners due to the high unemployment rate, so Santiago sounds like a good spot. Maybe not the best skiing, but what can you do? Besides, I want to work on my Spanish, get to know the culture and all that good stuff.

cool little vid on SA from doglotion.com

http://www.doglotion.com/files/videos/LasLenas256.wmv
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    cool little vid on SA from doglotion.com

http://www.doglotion.com/files/videos/LasLenas256.wmv
    I can't wait to get back! Nice footie- I'm pretty sure that footie was shot in late Aug/early Sept. 2001 after a nice 3-5m dump

Here's hoping for Santa Rosa to bless once again in 2005

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog
    Has anyone started looking into airfare? looks around 900 to buenos aires and 1100 to santiago. Thinking of going for the entire month of august if possible.
    www.despegar.com

If you don't speak spanish, try and find a good travel agent. I've found that getting my own transport to JFK or Miami can save $400-500 off what you listed above (tax included). Just keep your eyes open for specials: United, American, Lan(Chile), Copa (Panama), all offer specials for the summer/winter months of peak ski season. Varig (from Brasil) has also had some good rates on their site.

Mach: Santi is not the greatest South American city, but you can have a really good time. One thing to keep in mind tho, is that it is a bitch of a road from the city up to skiing. Only about 1-1.5 hours, but not passable in snowy conditions. Also, Las Condes is the area closest to the mountains (and nicest in town), but can get super-caro. If you have any questions about Chile, feel free to drop me a PM.

I'm getting pumped! Dudele: keep me in the loop for any secret hut/horse renting touring plans

Quote Originally Posted by shamrockpow

If you don't speak spanish, try and find a good travel agent. I've found that getting my own transport to JFK or Miami can save $400-500 off what you listed above (tax included). Just keep your eyes open for specials: United, American, Lan(Chile), Copa (Panama), all offer specials for the summer/winter months of peak ski season. Varig (from Brasil) has also had some good rates on their site.
    Also don't forget Delta. They just added Buenos Aires as a route city this past year. Since it's a relatively new route for them, they might be more willing to keep the rates low.

I would also suggest using frequent flier miles for a trip like this if you have them. The advantage is you can book last minute if weather looks sketchy and not pay through the nose. I booked three days before I took off last year and it cost me $85 and 50,000 miles. I also got a $150 voucher from Delta since we where 4 hours late out of Atlanta so I actually made money flying Delta.

By the way does anyone know if there is still a $100 surcharge for all Americans flying into Santiago.
    "Don't drive angry."

Best quote from the movie "Groundhog Day"

Quote Originally Posted by sea2ski
    By the way does anyone know if there is still a $100 surcharge for all Americans flying into Santiago.
    It's a $100 fee payable in cash for US Citizens upon arrival in Chile. This is a reciprocal charge. I'm pretty sure it is $75CDN for Canadian Citizens.
    On the plus side, these 'tourist cards' are valid for return visits until the expiration date of your passport.

Anyone changing planes in Santiago "en transito" does not have to pay the tourist card. **But Argentina has a departure tax of approximately $30.00 USD that is payable in either USD or AR pesos- I believe this applies to all travelers, regardless of citizenship.

I'll be on Delta again this year (FF mileage, baby!). Arriving in Santiago likely.
    Depends on how cheap the LanExpress flight is over to Mendoza.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99
    I

I'll be on Delta again this year (FF mileage, baby!). Arriving in Santiago likely.
    I'm considering the same exact thing.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks