Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Scarpa freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Is there any word on DIN sole availability? It's out of stock everywhere I've seen and an email to Scarpa has gone unanswered.
    They just arrived to Scarpa NA.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Anybody tried cramming the tech sole into a regular din binder? Yes yes I KNOW that they have swappable soles, but their tech sole actually looks pretty flat, just wondering if anyone has tries, all I wanna know is will it fit.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Women's is the same, just like all other scarpa boots. Liner is premolded a little differently, and is a little lower in the back, but the shells are identical other than color

Sent from my VS840 4G using TGR Forums
    Thanks. You're a champ.

Anybody know if these things have a boot board?

F
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    ^^^ that was the exact same experience I had with my pebax orange scarpa maestrales and the reason I sold them for the rs. If the Freedom SL is all pebax I cannot see how the same would not play out?

Not for me if that is so...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    Is carbo-reinforced pebax in crucial zones. Said that, I'm using the pu version, very happy with that, and have no first-hand experience with the pebax. Btw, no grilamid here because of the overlap design (grilamid-refractory... So far)

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    F

Is carbo-reinforced pebax in crucial zones. Said that, I'm using the pu version, very happy with that, and have no first-hand experience with the pebax. Btw, no grilamid here because of the overlap design (grilamid-refractory... So far)
    Thanks verbier. I knew there was a reason why no grilamid but not sure I still understand - refractory? Can you elaborate. Y a know for dummies like me.

I am certainly interested in the pu version but most likely stick with the two boot option - lange rx 130; and scarpa maelstrale rs.

Maybe scarpa comes out with a freedom on roids with a 130 flex in the future.

Dav, are ya listening?

The Passion is in the Risk

Hey guys!

I am looking for a new boot with walk mode so I can use them for short ups + skiing on groomers and pow.

Looking into this models below. What impress me the most is the weight of Scarpa compare to other brands. And also quite good walk mode according to reviews and videos (did not have a chance to try them out).

Dalbello Panterra 120
    Fischer Vacuum 12 or 11
    Scarpa Freedom SL
    Salomon Quest max bc 120 or quest max 130
    K2 Pinnacle 130

Anyone who tested models above and can give me short opinion I will be very happy

From just looking spec Scarpa Freedom SL would be my choice since they weight less. And I hope they perform good on groomers and carving as well.

Boots will be used with Salomon Guardian or Marker Duke. Do I need to exchange boots soles or can I use the one which cames out of the box on Scarpa?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhucker View Post
    Anybody tried cramming the tech sole into a regular din binder? Yes yes I KNOW that they have swappable soles, but their tech sole actually looks pretty flat, just wondering if anyone has tries, all I wanna know is will it fit.
    I looked at them yesterday. It's more rockered than a Cochise/Quest but less so than a Vulcan/Mercury/Maestrale. So it'll definitely fit into an STH/Duke, maybe fit a Guardian, probably won't fit a current Jester and definitely won't fit a Look/Rossi.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffhucker View Post
    I did use them last year with S916s....no problem.
    Always Fight Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Anyone? Was that a stupid question? I couldn't find the answer in this thread using the awesome search function. I have a semi-hella high instep, is why I ask.

Anyone? Was that a stupid question? I couldn't find the answer in this thread using the awesome search function. I have a semi-hella high instep, is why I ask.
    Never mind - I found the answer on Wildsnow.

Here are two pics of the internals of this boot. In regard to the 'carbon' that has been hyped in this boot, it must be a mighty small/thin board, as the black molded-in base of the boot is clearly some kind of thermoplastic (looking at the full-res images). You can see embedded in the boot what must be the piece of flat carbon at the top of the image, where it flares outward past the nuts (of course, I'm only assuming, as I'm not willing to band-saw them in half until after I ski them at least a few times). If that embedded flat black board isn't it, perhaps they dumped some carbon dust into the thermoplastic base and called it good...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5D_27295_ScarpaFreedomSL.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	144016

Name:	5D_27301_ScarpaFreedomSL.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	144017

Name:	ScarpaFreedomSL.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	144018

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Thanks verbier. I knew there was a reason why no grilamid but not sure I still understand - refractory? Can you elaborate. Y a know for dummies like me.

I am certainly interested in the pu version but most likely stick with the two boot option - lange rx 130; and scarpa maelstrale rs.

Maybe scarpa comes out with a freedom on roids with a 130 flex in the future.

Dav, are ya listening?

Afaik grilamid cannot be used for overlap, only for 3 pieces boot. Maybe they will overcome this limitation in the future, who knows

Afaik grilamid cannot be used for overlap, only for 3 pieces boot. Maybe they will overcome this limitation in the future, who knows
    Not so true Verb...I've got the proof here in front of me
    Always Fight Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by teosickrider View Post
    My info comes from a university professor of chemisty.. What is your proof?

Quote Originally Posted by teosickrider View Post
    Your post was too much provocative, so asked the professor
    Some companies use a soft version of grilamid made by EMS grivory. So soft that it's - in fact - as soft as pebax and can be used for overlap boots.
    Hope it helps. Thanks as usual to the professor.

Your post was too much provocative, so asked the professor
    Some companies use a soft version of grilamid made by EMS grivory. So soft that it's - in fact - as soft as pebax and can be used for overlap boots.
    Hope it helps. Thanks as usual to the professor.
    Can't talk too much...but grilamid overlap boots are being tested right now.
    Last edited by teosickrider; 11-06-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    Always Fight Gravity

Considering replacing my Mobes withe the SLs, but I'd have to go up a shell size d/t instep/last width. I'm debating if this is worth it.

Within a shell size, what is the difference between the Scarpa half sizes (eg 26.5 vs 27.0)? Boot board?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I have tried on both a 28.5 and 29.0 SL, the liners felt substantially different (29.0 was big and sloppy, 28.5 was very snug out of the box). Not sure if there's anything else to it.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I have tried on both a 28.5 and 29.0 SL, the liners felt substantially different (29.0 was big and sloppy, 28.5 was very snug out of the box). Not sure if there's anything else to it.
    With intuitions, that would suggest that there is no difference after forming the liner?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    With intuitions, that would suggest that there is no difference after forming the liner?
    Yes, it would suggest that.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Correct.

Correct.
    Always Fight Gravity

Anyone interested in a 26.5, bought and I just don't think they'll work for me. My huge instep is not going to work with these.

^^^are they the PU or pebax version?