Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Scarpa freedom

Forgot to mention... Finally skied the pu freedom at high temperature (say 15 celsius...), they do not soften too much.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    Pu freedom plus gp zipfit are a perfect marriage. Sorry no comparison with the factor, and no idea about the smallest size....
    Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I've skied both, although I skied the pebax version of the Freedom, not the PU.

The Factor MX is stiffer in forward flex by a noticeable amount. Say, 15%? Lateral flex felt the same between the two, but I only skied the Factor MX in soft snow. Another thing that I felt significantly affects the performance is that the forward lean is highly adjustable on the Freedom, but is NOT adjustable on the Factor MX. The stance is pretty upright on the Factor MX - good for some, but not for me. The Freedom walks a little bit better despite the specs claiming more ROM from the Factor.

If you like a stiff boot in all directions, and like an upright stance, go Factor MX.
    If you like a laterally stiff boot with a more forgiving forward flex, or want a more aggressive forward lean, go Freedom.
    Both are excellent boots.
    Many thanks for the detailed information. I'm hoping that one of these boots, or the K2 Pinnacle with the 100mm last, is going to actually work as a 'one boot does it all' for next season!!

Does the Freedom Pebax have a rocker sole?

Nice thread all.....
    Hey!...(a belated Thanks on the Freedom SL images adrenalated). The cuff on that Freedom SL doesn't look all that much wider.. My summer looks a lot more enjoyable...(lol).

SteveD

Sounds like you have skied the Freedom and the Freedom RS. I'm looking for a replacement for my Skookum and want one boot only. Use them for resort/sidecountry/backcountry. Most backcountry is Colorado 14ers in the springtime and is 15% of my ski days. Winter is Loveland/A-Basin/Silverton/Berthoud Pass.Can you comment on how the boots ski and tour relative to each other and is the fit similar. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by shaman161 View Post
    Sounds like you have skied the Freedom and the Freedom RS. I'm looking for a replacement for my Skookum and want one boot only. Use them for resort/sidecountry/backcountry. Most backcountry is Colorado 14ers in the springtime and is 15% of my ski days. Winter is Loveland/A-Basin/Silverton/Berthoud Pass.Can you comment on how the boots ski and tour relative to each other and is the fit similar. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaman161, from Maestrale RS thread
    One Boot? Anybody using this as one boot or have any thoughts about using the RS as an only boot? I'm 140 lbs, Ski aggressive but no air. Thinking about either this or the Freedom Freeride. Don't need interchangeable soles as I use the Fritschi Freeride at resorts and shorter tours. Tech bindings for backcountry. 70% resorts and 30% backcountry. Most backcountry days are Colorado 14ers in the springtime. Shorter pass tours and sidecountry in winter. Currently skiing in Skookum and looking for something with a better fit for low volume feet and a sweeter flex.
    I'm quoting your post from the Maestrale RS thread here too as it contains relevent information. Both the Freedom and the Maestrale RS fit a low volume foot much better than the Skookum. The Skookum is a freaking boat in terms of fit. Both will be substantially lighter, tour substantially better, and have a stiffer flex. In other words, both boots are a huge upgrade from what you have now.

The Freedom has a little more volume in the instep than the Maestrale RS. Otherwise, they are quite similar in fit. Some have complained that both boots have a roomy heel/ankle pocket, but they're certainly lower volume and more snug than a Skookum.

The Freedom is a touch stiffer than the Maestrale RS, but not by much. It has a different feel to the flex due to overlap construction vs. tongue. Neither is good nor bad, just different. And the difference is not huge.

Either boot will work for you, but I recommend the Freedom for you for two reasons. First, it has a little burlier buckles and hardware, and will hold up to resort skiing better. I've had no durability problems with my Maestrale RS, but I also don't beat them up inbounds. I don't know if it would become a problem or not, but I'm sure it won't be a problem on the Freedom. Second, although you say you don't care about swappable soles, at some point you may decide (like many of the rest of us have) that Fritschis suck (ski poorly, prone to breakage) and chose to get something more designed for resort/sidecountry skiing - like a Duke, Baron, Guardian, or hell even an alpine binding. The Freedom gives you more binding options due to the alpine sole.

If you really don't care about the two points above, the Maestrale RS will save you a bit of weight and some cash.

Thanks for you answer. That's just the info I was looking for . I'm leaning toward the Freedom now for sure. I was concerned about the durability with the RS and I see your point. 60 days at the resort would probably beat em up. I don't object to the swappable soles just not a priority. My other big concern with the Freedom was how it tours. The Skookum is fine so if the Freedom walks better that's good enough. Thanks.

Has anyone - paging Marshal - played around with the alpine binding compatibility of the Freedom's tech sole? Asking because of potential to use the boot in the Cast system.

anyone know which soles come standard on the Freedom SL? Scarpa site says the tech soles come standard, but I see them on the MEC (Canada) site & it says the opposite.

I thought it was tech soles on the SL and din soles on the base Freedom.
    Stand to be corrected by anyone with better info though.

ok seems the MEC site was wrong. As you say, it seems the SL comes with the tech sole & the Freedom comes with the DIN sole.

I might be rehashing something here but seemed to me there wasn't much consensus end of last season on the issue of Pebax - PU version characteristics.

Clearly Scarpa saying the Pebax stiffer (120 vs 110) - who's been on both for any decent time to agree/disagree?
    What about softening characteristics in spring/warmer weather?

Is it liner accounting for the weight difference or is that pebax vs PU?

Liner differences - both intuitions but foot appears to be significantly different - clear advantage for the SL version or not?

FWIW I'm looking for a decent all mountain alpine boot with good walk feature (not a stiff race plug, not a lightweight tech compatible touring boot) I'm thinking the standard pebax version might be better for me especially since it comes with DIN soles but I could be swayed to pony up the extra $$ for the SL if the liner and stiffness outweigh the extra $$ although DIN soles would extra still.

PU's liners are cheap and not made by intuition

?? Website claims Intuition on the Freedom.

Scarpa NA's website is calling the PU's liners "Intuition FR," which is interesting. I also recall a cheap liner not made by Intuition from SIA back in January. Perhaps they made a change to the boot? It definitely still looks like a non-moldable liner though...

My pu's received from scarpa in march had non-intuition liners. Said that, dunno about the current production...

If you compare scarpa NA & scarpa international it looks like euroland gets some different models than NA dunno how they spec them cuz I can't read the spec sheets, garmont also used to have some models you didn't see on this side of the pond ... sales numbers wise isn't NA actualy a pretty small market ?

https://www.scarpa.com/ski-liners

from their site here^^ is all the liners Scarpa NA sell

I was told Scarpa intuition liners are NOT exactly the same as those you would buy aftermarket from Intuition
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yes, Scarpa has a few extra models in Europe. Historically they've generally been price-point offerings (heavy, cheap liners) but I don't know what's in the current line.

Correct, Scarpa Intuition liners are not the same as aftermarket Intuition liners. Scarpa has liners spec'd out specifically for them. This generally means different densities of foam in different places than the stock Intuitions, plus the silicone grippy dots on the bottoms.

The link XXXer posted is NOT a complete list of Scarpa's liners, jsut the ones that are available to buy separately from a boot. There are several liners, such as those that come in the Maestrale and Maestrale RS that are different liners, but not available to purchase seperately.

Great info from all those who have used the freedom! Thanks!

Quick question for those that have toured and climbed in both the Maestrale RS and the Freedom SL (Pebax). Does the Freedom tour and climb as well as the maestrale?

To clarify, I loved my Maestrales last season and thought they had a perfect blend of tourability and power. I occasionally skied them inbounds, but mostly did big days(4k+ feet), overnights, even some ice climbing in them. Only bad thing was, they had some durability issues.

I feel the Freedom will be more durable, maybe ski a little better even (though that is not that important), but will I be making a sacrifice in touring and climbing ability versus the Maestrale?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by papatroller View Post
    Great info from all those who have used the freedom! Thanks!

Quick question for those that have toured and climbed in both the Maestrale RS and the Freedom SL (Pebax). Does the Freedom tour and climb as well as the maestrale?

To clarify, I loved my Maestrales last season and thought they had a perfect blend of tourability and power. I occasionally skied them inbounds, but mostly did big days(4k+ feet), overnights, even some ice climbing in them. Only bad thing was, they had some durability issues.

I feel the Freedom will be more durable, maybe ski a little better even (though that is not that important), but will I be making a sacrifice in touring and climbing ability versus the Maestrale?

Thanks!!
    Short answer IMO is Maestrale RS does tour better. Freedom SL does ski better. The difference in either category is not huge.

Thanks! Maybe I'll go with the freedom sl just to try something new, plus might be slightly more durable...

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Short answer IMO is Maestrale RS does tour better. Freedom SL does ski better. The difference in either category is not huge.
    Fully seconded, even though I'm on pu freedom (and happy this way)

Waiting for the shops near me to get these in. Interested to see how theyll fit

grassyass