Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stacked - 3 Deep Days in the Steamboat BC

After years hearing stories of the deep and stable snowpack north of Steamboat, Rachel and I spent several days earlier this winter starting to explore the zone. But, we just touched the tip of the iceberg, and since then I've wanted to go deeper. Last weekend, Skiracer88, Conor and I headed west from the Front Range, while Nick drove north from Crested Butte.

Like the rest of the state, the Yampa River Basin snowpack is hurting this year, at about 70% of average. I'll start with a few frame grabs of what a bad year looks like here:

With three days ahead of us I, was excited to explore, get lost, suffer, and enjoy. We spent the first day very successfully accomplishing the first three items.

After a day spent digging out sleds, breaking trail, and skiing bad snow, we knew just how much good snow there was for us to find the next day.

Day two started with mini golf:

Photo: Nick Matisse

Nick:

Yep, thats deep:

Conor:

still deep...

After thoroughly skiing out the zone we headed deeper:

Conor on our last run of the day:

Waking up Monday morning the cold that I had had the previous two days had progressed to the point where I could barely stand; but with 9 inches of new snow reported at the ski area we knew the BC would be even deeper. There was no way Nick was going to let us miss a day like this. A bottle of DayQuil later and we were sledding through untouched snow towards a zone we had seen the day before.

Nick in the midst of a rad triple pillow line:

Success!

Floating down a steep pitch:

Nick:

For the last run of the day we lined up a steep pillow zone; I dropped first, looking up at Nick who I assumed would be skipping off the pillows below him.

But he had other plans, and cleared the whole stack:

And what weekend would be complete without a little sledding. 5 PM, President's Day:

Monday through Nick's eyes:

Deep snow, no wind, and few people, I can't wait to go back - this was a Top 10 trip!

Looking sooo good! A little jelly.
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

Sweet TR! Headed up that way in two weeks. Hope it looks like that for moi.
    Feeling anxious, a little paranoid.

Solid TR! Such an underrated area of the state. The Park Range holds many treasures!

i love pillow talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's good snow there
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

deepness. looks oh so good. love that first pic
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

Sweet, I hope I get something similar to that Monday and Tuesday.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Great TR
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Glad you guys liked it! I agree that it certainly does seem to be an underrated part of the state...unless you are a sledneck . I guess there are probably quite a few factors that contribute to that: long access, a lot of flat, not as much information available as some areas, etc. Definitely looking forward to getting back and checking out more zones though!

Solid! Thank you Señor Records.

Nice Presidents weekend TR, Monday was sure dope with the way it was nuking all morning and sunny all afternoon. I saw your crew at the parking lot on Monday afternoon when we came off the pass behind you, I loaded the pro rmk with the cfr rack onto that old beater Chevy. Hit me up next time you're thinking of heading out this way if you want some beta on the snow conditions.
    You're definitely right about this part of the state being underrated... A large part of that has to do with how far away from I-70 we are, and another major contributing factor is all the hate and negativity that is directed at the ski resort by the uncreative sheeple that think that groomed blue trails are all that Steamboat has to offer in the way of terrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar
    I'm the best fucking snowboarder on this forum!
    Fuck that! I'm way better than you Edgnar. Once I finish whacking my pole I'm gonna huck this shit hudge cause I'm the best fucking snowboarder on this forum!

Great stuff. The sled skiing up there is really enjoyable.

Awesome work as always Mike!! Ripping!

stupid deepness

Love the Constant Blower! Great Shots!

way to get after it mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Records View Post
    Monday through Nick's eyes:
    i would poke out my eyes to be Nicks on that day. Jesus that was awesome. Strong work. Fuck me that's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Records View Post
    After a day spent digging out sleds, breaking trail, and skiing bad snow, we knew just how much good snow there was for us to find the next day.
    this looks like a really cool zone. maybe a bit nerve wracking to find the ways down with all the mandatories, but exciting.

Nice video edit. I laughed hard because our truck and trailer is shown as your leaving the lot. We are normally the first ones out and the last ones back.

The big air on bitch creek is so rad. I'm afraid of blowing my knee out on that one.

Frickin Sweet! Nice edit. Is that Buff Pass? Deeper in the Zirks there is some very cool stuff as well. We used to go spring skiing out there but we never had conditions like that. Awesome stuff man!

Awesome TR!!!!

I was just out there exploring this past Saturday. Lots of nice spots to ski, but I was in a sledneck state of mind. Steamboat Powder Cats did not appreciate me Braaaaaping in their permit area. They were nice about it, but holy crap... if I paid $300 for a day of cat skiing and they took me to the stuff I was riding, I'd ask for my money back. Truly the definition of low angle pow skiing.
    "That's what she said."

Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    Awesome TR!!!!
    if I paid $300 for a day of cat skiing and they took me to the stuff I was riding, I'd ask for my money back. Truly the definition of low angle pow skiing.
    Maybe it was their Level I group? basically for intermediates outside the gates for the 1st time...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat View Post
    Nice Presidents weekend TR, Monday was sure dope with the way it was nuking all morning and sunny all afternoon. I saw your crew at the parking lot on Monday afternoon when we came off the pass behind you, I loaded the pro rmk with the cfr rack onto that old beater Chevy. Hit me up next time you're thinking of heading out this way if you want some beta on the snow conditions.
    You're definitely right about this part of the state being underrated... A large part of that has to do with how far away from I-70 we are, and another major contributing factor is all the hate and negativity that is directed at the ski resort by the uncreative sheeple that think that groomed blue trails are all that Steamboat has to offer in the way of terrain.
    Shoot, wish I'd said hi! Ill definitely hit you up the next time we're out there. I'd love to get back into that zone in FC again (and this time hit some good stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Nice video edit. I laughed hard because our truck and trailer is shown as your leaving the lot. We are normally the first ones out and the last ones back.

The big air on bitch creek is so rad. I'm afraid of blowing my knee out on that one.
    Way to get after it! You'll have to show us around next time

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Frickin Sweet! Nice edit. Is that Buff Pass? Deeper in the Zirks there is some very cool stuff as well. We used to go spring skiing out there but we never had conditions like that. Awesome stuff man!
    Don't know much about the Zirks, I'm used to areas in CO where the mountains kinda stick up above everything - you can just look around and see what you want to ski. It seems a little different up there.

Fuck that was a sick edit.