Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Legal Advice: Can I charge for binding mounts out of my garage?

I just dropped some coin on a jigarex with several templates and am thinking about trying to earn the funds back by placing an ad on the Anchorage craigslist offering binding mount service. This would include filling old holes, drilling new ones, and mounting bindings in place. I would not set the din and leave it up to the customer to adjust it on their own.

I'm wondering what my liability would be if I were to do this... Would I be a business and have to pay taxes? Am I liable should someone hurt themselves? I searched and didn't find any threads on this topic...any lawyers, legal experts, or TGR armchair quarterbacks that could advise?

I can spare you an entire thread of arguing.

Don't do it. Stop thinking about it. End of story.

Bad idea, lots of liability in binding mounts.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Is there a possibility of renting the jig to DIY'ers? Maybe a deposit plus a small fee? might limit your liability just not sure if there's a market for that or not.

You gunna get sued.

You hear about all the shop fuckups here on TGR do you really want to get into that? Lots of liabilty on a binding mount BUT maybe wax n tunes out of your garage are Ok BUT the 1st people who will complain and mess with your shit will be the legitimate shops

Can you trade for things with the good bro's you knows, keep it on the down low, don't advertise and don't leave a paper trail of any kind

I used to do drysuit seals and repairs and all I charged was a doz beer for the labor which kept the filthy lucre out of the sport so it kept things pretty bro, I probably did 60 suits in 5 yrs with zero hassles IMO money can't really be the driver for this kind of gig or you just might be messing with bad karma

but beer is always good
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-21-2013 at 09:37 PM.

You can get around the business part by doing it as a hobby. This works as long as less than half your income comes from the hobby.

For liability, I would call your homeowners or renters insurance company. Explain you are doing it as a hobby.

I would stay far, far away from this. If anything goes wrong with any of those mounts at any time, it is at least potentially your ass, and you'd have nothing to cover it with. You'd have this lingering in the back of your mind all the time.

My advice- find other ways to recoup the cost.

Umbrella policy. $1,000,000.00 minimum. Because
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    You gunna get sued.
    Maybe just trade mounts for sex? That didn't come out right.

just get a couple aks in ak and ur good to go.
    DO NOT DO THIS
    delete this thread.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djrez4 View Post
    Maybe just trade mounts for sex?
    And then start a tundra wookie ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by tsproul View Post
    You can get around the business part by doing it as a hobby. This works as long as less than half your income comes from the hobby.

For liability, I would call your homeowners or renters insurance company. Explain you are doing it as a hobby.
    Awesome idea!! ... I'll look into this.

I already do binding mounts as a between-friends and a for-beer gig, but it would be better to find a way to pay for my tools in a way that doesn't require I make extra money at my day job. Again, I just want to recoup my costs, not to profit.

To me, it seems like this isn't much different from having an art studio in my garage and throwing pottery at night and selling it at shows on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the 1st people who will complain and mess with your shit will be the legitimate shops
    True that... never even crossed my mind until you said it

I still think touring bindings and Tele (non din certified stuff) should be fine.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

The first pair you mess up and owe a new pair of skis will blow your profit for the next two years. Shops can deal with that because they pay wholesale for the new pair and can make the messed up pair into a demo. You don't have that luxury.

If you charge $20per mount you will make your tool investment back in 20 mounts?
    If you screw up and wreck a pair of skis it will cost you $700 to replace them, so 35 more mounts to replace a ski.
    Are you confident you can do 55 mounts without messing one up?
    The ROI math does not make sense, and we have not even discussed liability.

Stick with mounting your own skis and your buddies skis.
    The easy buck is never easy.

^^Was typing the same time as jondrums.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    This is a much better idea.
    watch out for snakes

^^^ And they will refuse to cover you, and if you're really (un)lucky, they'll cancel your coverage.

Don't do this. Bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by patco21 View Post
    Awesome idea!! ... I'll look into this.

I already do binding mounts as a between-friends and a for-beer gig, but it would be better to find a way to pay for my tools in a way that doesn't require I make extra money at my day job. Again, I just want to recoup my costs, not to profit.

To me, it seems like this isn't much different from having an art studio in my garage and throwing pottery at night and selling it at shows on the weekends.
    when you make a pot it just sits there for people to buy or not,when you mount a ski they take it out, try to break their leg and blame it on you ...big difference

the side gigs I can get a little cash money for people always say "well make it into a business print some cards yada yada" but how much money do you think you are gona make, are you going to have openning hrs, will it be lucrative enough to justify going thru all the hoops and hassles and as pointed out you will have to pay for the odd fuck up ?

If you got day job that pays, buds who love you & buy the beer then you are already got it going and are as commercial as you want to be ...stick to barter

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    But this would make for an interesting episode on Alaska State Troopers.

Which by the way if you watch that show, will have you convinced that everyone in AK is a gun toting drunk crack whore meth felon ATV riding dirtbag bitch slapping big game poaching unemployed fucktard.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Y'all sound like a bunch of 80 yr old poops.

If Splat came onto the forum asking about starting pmgear......

Or Keith about starting Praxis......

If he wants to give a stab at starting a ski shop, why so much discouragement? You strap on 2x4's - and those of us that are better off get carbon laced 2x4's - crank up the DIN to 24 and drop off 1000 ft cliffs onto rocky flats. And you want to tell him to be careful!? Pffft.

Y'all sound like a bunch of 80 yr old poops.

If Splat came onto the forum asking about starting pmgear......

Or Keith about starting Praxis......

If he wants to give a stab at starting a ski shop, why so much discouragement? You strap on 2x4's - and those of us that are better off get carbon laced 2x4's - crank up the DIN to 24 and drop off 1000 ft cliffs onto rocky flats. And you want to tell him to be careful!? Pffft.
    You might want to familiarize yourself with the concept of risk vs. reward.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Don't mount the bindings, drill the holes have people screw the bindings and set din/pressure by themselves. No liability for drilling holes in their skis, says the guy with no legal experience at all. But you better not fuck one up, because buying one pair of ski would really screw up the whole idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I still think touring bindings and Tele (non din certified stuff) should be fine.
    Yep, I called AMH and this is exactly what they do....including telling you to adjust your own release setting. They even have you sign a waiver releasing them from liability.

Tsproul since you and Jed are the only ones under 80 here, you think it would be smart to ask folks to sign a liability statement? Would that paper trail affect the 'hobby' status?