Ski Purchase Dilemma

Hey Guys,

i really need your help, because i dont know which ski i want/should buy.

Before we start some information about me:
    22 years old, (19 on skis), 180cm, 75kg. I have no racing background etc, but still ski quite good, but would not consider me as a charger and taking huge cliffs...

Usually i ski in the Alps, but luckily i am studying in Vancouver this season, therefore i go up to Whistler as often as possible.

Im skiing a 191 Shogun with a Baron right now, but im not really satisfied with them. They are not surfy enough and nimble.

I think that i am looking for a ski around 110-15 waist, with nice floatation and can ski more or less all conditions ok. I will also do a lot of touring stuff on them here in Canada, but back home in Germany i will do more sidecountry/Slackcountry with less touring(Considering a F12) so they should not be to heavy. They should ski well big turns as well as tree lines.

Some skis i have in mind: Hoji 187, Lhasa Pow 186, Prior Husume/Overlord, Wailer 112 RPC...

Some additional information: Going to sell my Shogun and possibly i buy a more touring orientated ski (Down 4/6..) with a Techbinding next Saison. Skied this Saison already the Automatic and Rocker115...

So i hope i didnt forget anything, if so just ask me. Hope you can give me some feedback what direction i should go...

Cheers,

Flo

191 Lhasa fat mine with dynafits are <10lbs . Maybe the Kusala Splat is taking orders on them.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Lhasa pow w dynafits. Great pow and crud ski, had the opportunity to rail groomers this weekend and was blown away. I would consider the 191, much more nimble than one would think. I have both 191 and 186. Almost never reach for the 186. I'm same dimensions as you but older.....
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Look into Blister Gear Reviews. Tons of good, objective info there. That said, I'll second the Lhasa chant. Just used my 196's on hardpack yesterday. Not a great groomer ski but will do better than you would expect. Extremely nimble for it's size but still has good stability. Great sticks

Oooh Splat might have a pair of rockered 192's left. I have been skiing my pair as an everyday ski for 3 seasons, they're amazing. They charge and carve and pivot. Not the best tree ski but excels everywhere else and manageable in the trees.

186 Lhasas

Surfy in fresh. Check.
    Easy in trees - nimble. Check.
    Good or better in all other conditions. Check.
    Light enough for touring. Check.

plus you get to communicate with Pat.

Prior Husume. Built just down the road from Whistler, nimble but strong (maple), nice mild rocker front and rear, 3400 gm at 181 with the XCR carbon layup, super versatile. These guys make quality skis, period.

What was your thoughts on the r2 115 and automatic?

I fukkin love my 186 Lhasas... love them.. but I find myself extremely intrigued by all the love the 191 Fats get.. and yes it seems Splat does still have a pair of the dual rockers left at discount.. 191 Lhasa Fat w/Dual Rocker - $700

When my 186s ever need replacement.. the 191 will get serious consideration.. or whatever it has evolved into..
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Hey Guys,

thanks for you answers.

you all seem to be really stoked about pm gear already gave splat a pm...

How i liked the Automatic and R115?
    The are really close to each other, and i think the Automatic is dominating the Rocker a little bit, but they are more or less the same.. I couldnt really test them in a different conditions, just in crude (thanks to the bad january in whistler..). Overall they a good everyday ski and can handle everything nice.

But here in Canada i do lots of more touring than back in the Alps (lots of touring in Coquihalla the last Weeks..), so i think they are little big to much and heavy...

And even i think i like to support more the small, innovative companys

Another question: Should i really put some Dynafits (Radical FT 12???), because i will also ski them inbounds, especially in Europe..

Another Ski, which could fit, is the 3G District? Any thoughts about the other skis?

Cheers,

Flo

Well i havent skied any of the Pm gear skis but if youre gonna do some touring i strongly advice on the radicals. I normally ski thm inbounds as well and for me there is no question about it. In chamonix for example you see so many people riding them booth inbounds and out of bounds. They do take a little bit of time to learn but once you start trusting them you most likely wont use much else, at least that was the case for me. For a touring ski maybe you should check out the pure 99 wailer too. Good luck!

Ahh and praxis, they too make great skis and have fantastic customer support that can really help you find the perfect setup.

We love pmgear skis, it's true. I've got 4 pairs and imo nothing compares to the feel and weight of carbon bros.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluchtweg View Post
    Overall they a good everyday ski and can handle everything nice.

But here in Canada i do lots of more touring than back in the Alps (lots of touring in Coquihalla the last Weeks..), so i think they are little big to much and heavy...

And even i think i like to support more the small, innovative companys
    Then I will go ahead and pitch the 186 Billy Goat Tour, or 186 Skinny Goat (see the discussion on this forum), if you can wait a bit.

The new ON3P billy goat (12.13) is, to me the one ski that can both charge hard in crud and handle the tightest of trees.

Fat-ypus D-Sender 184 ER or 194 Rocker. Light, poppy and loves to turn, plus rails on hardpack. Durable as fuck too!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

I would look for anything with camber under foot and tip and tail rocker, that being said I am a little biased towards the origional camber/tip tail rockered ski, the origional rossignol S7. Not the stiff ass super 7 or the squad 7, the origional S7. It's playful and does everything. And screw barons or dukes, they are pieces of shit that have you so high off the ski you feel like you have race plates under you. Take a look a MFG plates, they are metal and sit right on the ski so it doesn't feel like your on stilts. And after watching a guy break his dukes in half right off the ski on a cold day at beaver creek my previous comment is reafirmed, don't get shitty plastic bindings. You can mount FKS/P18 binders to a MFD plate and feel a hell of alot safer. Basically avoid plastic crap and any shit made in china, ON3P,armada, and atomic all make decent camber underfoot tip and tail rockered skis, avoid completely rockered skis as they only work well in pow and ride like donky dick on groomers.

Colorado season clips 10-11, best season ever!

G.N.A.R the movie, complete movie. Watch this!
    http://unofficialnetworks.com/gnar/

Vail best day ever 18inches

Shane McConkey is the shit! First chair?

If you don't mind a little weight ON3P Billy Goats with the tour Layup. Others I was impressed with at a recent demo days were the Dynafit huascaran (though a bit wider than what you are asking), Dynastar Cham 97, Blizzard Kabookie or Cochise (dependent on weight), or Armada TST. To be honest the group your looking at is loaded with quality skis.