Who Goes to Tailgate Alaska?

Seriously? they limit it to 150 people, and sell tickets for $350 each and you get pretty much nothing except free beer. I mean 70 beers in 10 days isn't like out of the question but still.

I'm confused by the entire thing.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Went last year and stayed in the free lot, not really into the whole pay for friends frat thing. Good times though. Plenty of sled rental or bump to the top options there. Plus, its nice to have all sorts of sketchy slednecks doing avy control via highmarking for you

Couple pics from the Worthington Glacier:

That looks HORRIBLE!!!!

Hey AKPM, what is this like the 4th thread you've started to feel better about yourself not needing to take a trip to AK?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I was thinking about going and it looks ridiculously expensive for no apparent reason. That's what was confusing, a gathering of folks backcountry skiing and partying like, a chill version of Arctic Man sounds like a blast though.

So you know, the tickets go for a lot more than free beer - for instance TGAK has free daily snow science classes including a full on Level 1 - we also field a large, professional safety crew to react quickly to big mountain mistakes. Beyond the safety in numbers, we have some of the best high speed rope rescue people in North America helping out. You also get big discounts on accommodations, heli and amenities in town - you can pay for the price of the ticket simply by staying in the hotel 1/2 the event or going heliing with H2O for a couple days. TGAk may be the least expensive way to do a trip to AK when all the credit card statements are added up.

We try to create an inclusive atmosphere that promotes responsibility in the mountains.

The people who come to the event, come from around the world - some 15 countries - and are made up of Professional athletes, industry insiders, dedicated recreational users and media.

Does not sound like its worth $350...

So you are saying rich dudes, and people who are getting paid to be there go (and probably a bunch of trust fund snowboarders/slednecks?). This has the chance to be really freaking cool. We should have a huge backcountry festival ala arctic man, but TGAK sounds like a heli ski company gimmick.

Living in AK it sounds like a week to stay the hell away from Valdez.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    sounds like a week to stay the hell away from Valdez.
    for sure

I didn't realize they charge- I thought it was just a Bru-brah jamboree in the parking lot- that's steep! (and not in a good way)...

I've been up at Worthington the week preceding TGAK twice- the guys setting up seem nice enough, but crowds and your dream AK trip don't seem like an ideal combo...
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

didnt you post this same stupid thread last year???

I went the first or maybe second year on accident. I met snowboard legends that I never heard of. lol Its not a skier thing, very boardcentric.

Quote Originally Posted by Imz View Post
    I didn't realize they charge- I thought it was just a Bru-brah jamboree in the parking lot
    This would be fucking fun.

How can they charge to hang out in a public parking lot? I hope to spend some time in Thompson pass this winter, not during tailgate though. Probably around my birthday last week of March.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

My experience with tailgate alaska last year was that I paid 350 bucks for a bunch of empty promises. Absolutely would not recommend the event to anyone.

Seriously? they limit it to 150 people, and sell tickets for $350 each and you get pretty much nothing except free beer. I mean 70 beers in 10 days isn't like out of the question but still.

I'm confused by the entire thing.
    Found it all on their website.

http://tailgatealaska.com/taxonomy/term/9

once i buy my climate change lot up there i will go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha yup a rip off, and their website shows their ignorance

The native people of the Chugach (or Chugachmiut) call themselves Yupik or Sugpiaq (suk 'person' plus -piaq 'real' or 'genuine.') It means literally, "the real people." This exemplifies Flow Tailgate Alaska. Real people are those who become family, here. Family, or 'Ilanka,' is the most important thing to a Sugpiaq person, as an extended sense including blood-related, adoptive or intentional. Like the Hawaiian term for family, “Ohana,” the belief is that no one is left behind or forgotten...
    They can't even read a map... Seriously that's kind of offensive.

Yupik people live in Bristol Bay and The YK delta.

hahaha yup a rip off, and their website shows their ignorance

They can't even read a map... Seriously that's kind of offensive.

Yupik people live in Bristol Bay and The YK delta.
    More than a little offensive, confusing Yupik and Sugpiaq.
    Last edited by Chugachjed; 02-21-2013 at 07:33 PM.

I guess to be fair to them the wikipedia page calls Alutiiq people "Pacific Yupik" which after 20 years of learning about my home I've never heard that term before. Go figure...

I can't even think of any historical trading between Yupik and Alutiiq people...

Well your map lists "Aleut" where it should say Unangan. That's like calling people Sioux instead of Lakota it's a pejorative.

Plus it's weird that your map lists Prince William sound as Alutiiq when it's clearly Sugpiaq country.

Does not sound like its worth $350...

So you are saying rich dudes, and people who are getting paid to be there go (and probably a bunch of trust fund snowboarders/slednecks?). This has the chance to be really freaking cool. We should have a huge backcountry festival ala arctic man, but TGAK sounds like a heli ski company gimmick.
    Maybe you shouldn't go. Why bitch about the price? If you don't like it, don't pay it and stay home