ID Steelhead beta needed

I'm planning on heading up to the Salmon river in ID this March (18th - 23rd), probably somewhere in between Challis and Stanley. This is my first time up there and not sure on what kind of line to use, what kind of flies, leader, etc. I've got myself an 8 weight rod and reel, currently rigged up with a full sinking line which I'll be replacing for this trip (not sure whether to get floating or sink tip). I would like to only use one line as I'm on a shoestring budget. Any advice is much appreciated.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

The Salmon is a small river. Floating line with indicator is the deal. I have only fished that river twice. 12-14MM beads in mottled peach, pink,and chartreuse, are all producers as well as egg suckin leaches. Think small pocket water.

Be nice to anything with an adipose. Be merciless to anything without.
    ...so I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Maybe consider not fishing to fish that have been in freshwater since july that are about to spawn?

Just a thought.

That said you should have a floater for your 8 wt.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

AK: most of the fish in there are hatchery fish meant for catching, all wilds have to be immediately released, barbless hooks only.

I'm thinking Rio's steelhead/salmon line with steelhead/salmon leaders and also carrying some versileaders to convert it to sink tip for throwing streamers. I didn't know about these until yesterday and they seem to be the perfect answer not only for this, but for my 5 weight as well. Anyone have any experience with them?

I got a bunch of Rio MOW tips for my Skagit stuff and have been using them for fishing streamers for trout. They are similar to versileaders. I fucking love 'em. Gets that fly down deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    I got a bunch of Rio MOW tips for my Skagit stuff and have been using them for fishing streamers for trout. They are similar to versileaders. I fucking love 'em. Gets that fly down deep.
    Cool. The only thing I need to figure out with them is what sink rate.

I'm intrigued by those versileaders but haven't found them locally to take a look at. How do they work? Do you just use them in place of a normal leader? Can you tie on regular tippet?