Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I'm having engineered wood floors put in my condo. The unit is ground floor, so it's slab on grade/below grade (the front of the building is below grade, the back isn't). I've torn out all the carpets already.

The closet, which is in the front part of the unit, has always been a bit damp. When I pulled the carpet I found the tack strip was obviously moisture damaged. Not totally rotten, but discolored. Not shocking if it's been a little damp for 20+ years, I guess.

A test square of plastic on the other side of the unit showed no moisture. I haven't done a similar test in the closet yet.

The floor guy is doing a floating install. He had intended to go without a moisture barrier, but when I voiced concerns he suggested a pad with a built-in moisture barrier. Is this valid or should I insist on the 6-mil poly sheeting? Is there anything else I should do to protect myself? I'm worried about the closet.
    Last edited by counterfeitfake; 04-04-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

stop peeing in the closet?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

good old fashioned wood, do not trust anyone that recommends anything else. In fact, kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    I'm having engineered wood floors put in my condo. The unit is ground floor, so it's slab on grade/below grade (the front of the building is below grade, the back isn't). I've torn out all the carpets already.

The closet, which is in the front part of the unit, has always been a bit damp. When I pulled the carpet I found the tack strip was obviously moisture damaged. Not totally rotten, but discolored. Not shocking if it's been a little damp for 20+ years, I guess.

A test square of plastic on the other side of the unit showed no moisture. I haven't done a similar test in the closet yet.

The floor guy is doing a floating install. He had intended to go without a moisture barrier, but when I voiced concerns he suggested a pad with a built-in moisture barrier. Is this valid or should I insist on the 6-mil poly sheeting? Is there anything else I should do to protect myself? I'm worried about the closet.
    Did you see what i put in? there is a pic of it on the page before this. Its moisture barrier and pad. I would do the whole house with it if i was you. I did. i'm not sure how old your house is, but mines only 10 years old. so i expect plenty more settling over the next 20 years. So id expect some cracking in the slab somewhat. Also, if he is doing floating, you need everything level as a mofo. They had to lay some self leveling concrete in 3 spots. The guy i had doing it obviously had an eye for it. If its not level, you'll have soft spots. you're guy is right. Pad + moisture barrier. Otherwise it will sound like laminate. Every place i went to and every contractor told me the same thing. Spend some money on the pad. Now i know why. Going floating, you need a superior pad. Its not glued directly to the floor they just glue the seam's when doing floating. you could go the route of putting plywood down so you can nail it down or glue it directly to the floor. But then you are adding money to the project. Either way, post some before and after pics.

i left my closets with carpet. But all 3 rooms have walk ins and 2 of them are rather large. So it was more monetary and well, its a closet.
    Last edited by cramer; 04-04-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    good old fashioned wood, do not trust anyone that recommends anything else. In fact, kill them.
    This is false. Totally depends on what is under the floors. Slab plus real wood equals never ending money pit, usually. You have to use engineered product.

Cramer- nice. I have almost the same floors. Ours are slightly lighter, Spanish Hickory, faux hand scraped. Had them in almost 5 years. Bomber floors. Even the kitchen still looks good. Get a good steam mop. Use it only once a week though.

I did see your pad, Cramer, I just wasn't sure whether it's as good or better than the 6 mil poly sheet (plus "normal" pad) I see recommended elsewhere.

I think I got spoiled reading John Bridge's forums for tile- it seems harder to get good info about wood flooring.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    I did see your pad, Cramer, I just wasn't sure whether it's as good or better than the 6 mil poly sheet (plus "normal" pad) I see recommended elsewhere.

I think I got spoiled reading John Bridge's forums for tile- it seems harder to get good info about wood flooring.
    a

oh i got you now. Well a normal pad is actually just like a moisture barrier, no pad. I went with pad + moisture barrier. So you are looking to go with pad + moisture barrier + extra barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    This is false. Totally depends on what is under the floors. Slab plus real wood equals never ending money pit, usually. You have to use engineered product.

Cramer- nice. I have almost the same floors. Ours are slightly lighter, Spanish Hickory, faux hand scraped. Had them in almost 5 years. Bomber floors. Even the kitchen still looks good. Get a good steam mop. Use it only once a week though.
    Ya, i got the same advice from every contractor. Engineered or laminate, hardwood wasn't happening. What kind of steam mop you using. We bought the bona dust/mop system. Should i be using that steam mop once a week and just hit it with the bona once in awhile. I've never had wood before but the bona works good. But i thought i read id get build up after awhile with this stuff, any insight appreciated. Sounds like steam mop would take care of that for me?

as for how it will last, im hoping to get 10 years out. I've got the house heavily rugged. The kitchen is basically rugs with a little walkway. One in front of fridge, one in front of sink and one in front of oven. i bought 3 extra boxes.
    Last edited by cramer; 04-05-2013 at 11:51 PM.

I use the Bona, wife uses steam mop. Not sure of brand.
    As long as you only use the steam once a week it is fine. The Bona does leave a bit of residue.

Warthog, what apron do you recommend for sweeping?

...personally, I go all Al from Tool Time with the manly toolbelt look, I find the hammer loops are awesome for feather dusters and Pledge bottles and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Warthog, what apron do you recommend for sweeping?
    The better question is what apron to wear when clubbing a squirrel.

Ice- I learned long ago, happy wife, happy life. If that means picking up a mop every once in a while, so be it.

I do have a pretty sweet tool belt though. All nice and worn in over the years.

I'm actually more stoked on the possibilities of bamboo as hard flooring. It would basically be the same as the bamboo cutting boards.

For environmental reasons alone, I think it would be cool. Bamboo (depending upon the species) grows to a yield feasible size FAR faster than any hardwood. Its actually considered a grass.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I've been told that bamboo floors can't be refinished, that renders them virtually disposable compared to a hardwood floor that can be refinished & last for 30+ years. More resources will be used for 3 new floors vs 1 floor + refinishing...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    I've been told that bamboo floors can't be refinished, that renders them virtually disposable compared to a hardwood floor that can be refinished & last for 30+ years. More resources will be used for 3 new floors vs 1 floor + refinishing...
    Interesting, i had to google that. With that said, doesn't bamboo hold up better than most woods? i was going to go bamboo originally before i found out about my slab situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    I hadn't heard that about not being able to be refinished, but don't know. Bamboo is an extremely hard and durable "wood" (its not a true wood, its a grass)...I'm wondering if it would ever even need refinishing. I mean as long as it holds together and doesn't wear down in a major way, it shouldn't need finish. I'm thinking it is pretty impervious as is. I guess it depends what kind of look your looking for...glossy and perfect, or a slightly worn, slightly sanded comfortable look? I would be going for the latter for me.

Anybody know if those bamboo cutting boards have a finish? I twas of the opinion that they were basically raw bamboo and whatever glue is binding the segments together.

My only concern would be if the end grain exposed would soak up standing water like celery in a glass of water ( a great trick for wilted celery, BTW! !).
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

When I say can't be refinished, I was referring to the typical sand + re-coat that is done to a wood floor. I should have said they can't be sanded... I was told they go all furry if you sand them.
    Guy a shop told me this when we were looking at floor options, we ended up with vinyl tile, it suited the application best (we were never really considering bamboo).
    I don't know how they hold up otherwise... Raw bamboo might be ok for a cutting board but I can't imagine using raw bamboo on a floor, surely they have to have some coating?!

Quote Originally Posted by cramer View Post
    Interesting, i had to google that. With that said, doesn't bamboo hold up better than most woods? i was going to go bamboo originally before i found out about my slab situation.
    Bamboo is a huge category. Some is harder than others. The stuff we have (from Costco, forealz) is soft as shit.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Bamboo is a huge category. Some is harder than others. The stuff we have (from Costco, forealz) is soft as shit.
    ahh ok. The stuff i have is oak based. I dropped a screwdriver on it from a ladder and it took it like a champ. Oak is listed as pretty soft as well. From what i can tell you'd have to try and scratch most hardwood. I put the little sticky pads underneath all the furniture. So that should keep the scratches to a minimum. My little critters dont leave any marks either. And they be slipping and sliding playing the chasing game everynight.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I just heard of an unusual flooring problem, a buddy of mine re-did the floors in his house which he had owned for years went a little more upscale & spent some coin. He did not mention his wife having problems with sensitivity BUT the off gassing of glue/new material/whatever/yadyada made his wife so sick the smartest option was to sell and move to a newer 13yr old house that didn't need any upgrades, kind of unusual but it does happen and buddy had no choice but to move
    Old thread I know but good discussions.

I've run across an issue very similar to the above complication. To address it a flooring installer I trust pointed me to the so called low VOC finishes on factory finished hardwoods (can get in engineered also). Here is one example he pointed out. I was almost as a loss for words to see and hear this salt of the earth guy start talking about volatile organic compounds, how finishes on wood flooring are something people live with for years and years and yet pay little attention to even though it -- the wood finish -- is an integral part of their living space, yada, yada, yada. Made me respect the guy ever more.

Main questions, are the flooring manufacturers taking a trend and capitalizing on it (example, link citing green guard certification that may or may not be easy to meet and obtain etc.), it is a real issue that is worth addressing? What comes to mind is gluten free, everything from ass wipes to fried zucchini is gluten free these days, but before there was gluten free anything our ancestors managed to survive.
    Last edited by Nobody Famous; 01-06-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: install > installer
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

hardwood, engineered hardwood and pergo.

Low VOC is a huge push in all sorts of interior finishes: carpet, paint, wood finishes, plastics, insulation, etc

When I first started seeing it as an advertised feature, I thought it was just marketing. But it really is a significant issue for folks that have various sensitivities.

Just put in 1400 sf of floating bamboo flooring. Green guard certified, zero voc, hard as a rock. We paid twice as much as the soft bamboo flooring option. I forget the difference, but it had to do with grain direction and orientation. I'm not sure what the finish is, but I'm guessing it is some sort of epoxy. Seriously, you can drop a hammer on this stuff and it won't dent. https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll...MSTN5/10023750 50 year warranty, so I couldn't care less about refinishing.

We also installed bamboo butcher block countertops. No finish. Just run down with oil regularly. We use organic sunflower oil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0910.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	794.3 KB 
ID:	220734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171220_024344.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	348.7 KB 
ID:	220735  

Just starting to look into wood floor options - I recall someone here (I think) posting a link to a company making some really nice stuff, but of course I can't find it now.

I did see this link, and see some nice options. Appreciate the leads on some other good ones if you know any!
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

We installed a lot of this in 2015: https://vermontplankflooring.com/wide-plank/engineered/

It's holding up beautifully in a difficult environment for wood flooring (very humid, sandy, lots of dogs, etc.). They also make beautiful regular flooring.