Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waxing new skis

Waxing new skis

Got my new TM:X's drilled and mounted and now need to get em waxed up. Wanna really impregnate the bases, so I know I should use a lot of coats of soft wax but should I make more passes with the iron and really work the wax into the Ptex or will I just end up burning the Ptex and ruining my new pair of boards?
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

You could do that or box bake them. But they'll hold wax deep after a few waxes if you don't want to get too picky. Just get them good and warm before waxing and it will allow them to soak more in.

When deep-impregnating, I usually wax and iron once, let it cool, drip a bit more wax on and iron again, cool, then scrape. My theory is that adding a bit more wax for the second iron pass can't hurt but could prevent base burn.

Let 'em cool to room temperature in between heating them up to ironing temperature. Each time you go through that full temperature cycle the wax gets drawn in a little deeper.

Also: after several times ironing in your warmest/softest wax (you're right about that because it will go deepest into your bases), let it cool, scrape 'em clean, then do one cycle with a cold hard wax. Being a harder solid, this will really sit tight in the base and make the Ptex stronger. Some even believe that it forces the pores open a bit more when it cools so that your next wax will go deeper than it would have. Anyway, if you're going to ski them on fresh cold snow you can leave the hard wax after scraping/brushing; or if it's going to be warm wet snow you can then finish up with another warm/soft wax before you're all done.
    Last edited by Telegasm; 03-01-2005 at 12:42 PM.

Question

Just got my new JJ's today.. any other tips for prep before the first wax? should i lightly go over them with a wire brush? would that help the wax penetrate more?.. is that a stupid idea? No hot box, ill probably sit them sort of close to a space heater for a little while before I start. I guess the more coats the better?

All the info in this thread was great. Its the first pair of brand new ski's I've ever owned. I just want to make sure i do this right the first time.

thanks

Wax normally, wax normally, wax normally, wax normally, wax normally, wax normally, wax normally, wax normally, wax normally.
    holy fucking shitballs

Clean them with base cleaner first. Use a wire brush. Then wax a few times. The above tips are good.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

You sure about base cleaner...
    Which one do you use?
    I just like to do a bunch of hot scrapes for cleaning the bases.

Quote Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
    Wax normally, wax normally, wax normally, wax normally, wax normally, wax normally, wax normally, wax normally, wax normally.
    I actually like this advice best. And being a midwestern racer type most of my life, I've probably done a lot more waxing than many on here.

Really soaking wax into new skis is overrated. You might do it twice before you use them, then after every day out if you are really worried about it. If you don't plan on waxing them after every use, it doesn't matter how many times you wax them when they are new.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

an option to base cleaner is just basic soft, white candle wax. melt that on and scrape immediately. should pick up all the crud that's on the bases (this was recommended to me by a shop when i inquired about base cleaner).

as for my waxing technique? i apply a base layer of all-temp, then let it harden over-night. the next day i let it bake in the sun (if/when we have sun in San Francisco). then i scrape. then i apply another layer (this summer it was a layer of spring/summer wax). let this layer harden. then bake in the sun. harden. then scrape. it's been working well for summer patch skiing and seems to be soaking into the bases well, too (and my skis are about 4 seasons old).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

thanks everyone,

Quote Originally Posted by whorehey View Post
    You sure about base cleaner...
    Which one do you use?
    I just like to do a bunch of hot scrapes for cleaning the bases.
    I got some dakine base cleaner from backcountry for pretty cheap. used it on my filthy park skis. it worked really well. I got a decent buzz from using it in the closed garage as well.

I may give the new sticks a quick wipe down before I start.

I've just got to say, I've seen people get ripped apart on EPICSKI for asking how to prep new skis instead of searching. I'm AMAZED that this has gotten so many serious responses! Guess it goes to show how much post-count affects things around here...

DO NOT WAX NEW SKIS, I dont know why there is such a misconception out there that new skis need wax. With the modern base materials skis hardly need to be waxed in the first place, the special stuff from the factory first needs to be skied off before you do any waxing otehrwise you just trap the factory wax in the base. I would ski on them for a few weeks and then very lightly wax them a couple times a week for a maximum of two weks and you should be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I've just got to say, I've seen people get ripped apart on EPICSKI for asking how to prep new skis instead of searching. I'm AMAZED that this has gotten so many serious responses! Guess it goes to show how much post-count affects things around here...
    Look at the post date, laser posted this well over four years ago. Impressive search by the jong a few posts above though, nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Look at the post date, laser posted this well over four years ago. Impressive search by the jong a few posts above though, nice work.
    Hmmm, ya got me there! Definitely didn't notice that AT ALL! He dug deep...

Quote Originally Posted by SkiED View Post
    DO NOT WAX NEW SKIS, I dont know why there is such a misconception out there that new skis need wax. With the modern base materials skis hardly need to be waxed in the first place, the special stuff from the factory first needs to be skied off before you do any waxing otehrwise you just trap the factory wax in the base. I would ski on them for a few weeks and then very lightly wax them a couple times a week for a maximum of two weks and you should be perfect.
    Absolute complete and utter bullshit.

If you don't want to look after your skis, that's up to you. But what if someone read that and believed it.

Not all base materiel is the same but generally speaking, the better the ski, the higher quality of base will be used therefore will needing more waxing...

And telling people to wax for 2 weeks and call it a day... Why?

Tell me what i'm missing...

The factory wax (mostly) is no different from the "waxing" that a cheap sports store will do.
    holy fucking shitballs

Quote Originally Posted by Thebaldskiman View Post
    Absolute complete and utter bullshit.
    Exactly.

Worst advice ever.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

for the first wax, it's a good idea to apply a cheap soft all temp and let them cool completely. this will strip off the garbage factory coat that's already on there. after a scraping and brushing, you can use whatever you want. probably a harder, higher quality wax. the better wax will bond much better with the base and you will not have to worry about the factory coat. this method also works for cleaning your bases. solvents, especially citrus, tend to do dry out the bases. using the first pre-coat method will strip out all the dirt, old wax, etc., prior to applying the second coat. the extra effort is a pain, but it'll help you avoid base burn.

Quote Originally Posted by tag 94 View Post
    for the first wax, it's a good idea to apply a cheap soft all temp and let them cool completely. this will strip off the garbage factory coat that's already on there. after a scraping and brushing, you can use whatever you want. probably a harder, higher quality wax. the better wax will bond much better with the base and you will not have to worry about the factory coat. this method also works for cleaning your bases. solvents, especially citrus, tend to do dry out the bases. using the first pre-coat method will strip out all the dirt, old wax, etc., prior to applying the second coat. the extra effort is a pain, but it'll help you avoid base burn.
    Wish my first post had been this enlightening

i saved my best for first. thanks for the boost.

Umm I was a ski tech at a rental shop all last winter so I think I know what Im talking about.... one of the Rossi guys came in and gave a demo and this is what he told me, so ya I am sure someone that works at rossi has it wrong!

Umm I was a ski tech at a rental shop all last winter so I think I know what Im talking about.... one of the Rossi guys came in and gave a demo and this is what he told me, so ya I am sure someone that works at rossi has it wrong!
    You're right.. there is no point to waxing rental skis.

Thanks for all the tips guys.. and yes I did search pretty deep on this. I've been here long enough to know the rules. Never had any shit worth posting, so I just stick to lurking and drooling at all the TR's. That should all change this season though.

peace

Umm I was a ski tech at a rental shop all last winter so I think I know what Im talking about....

Like bringing a dildo to a cock fight.

Quote Originally Posted by tag 94 View Post
    for the first wax, it's a good idea to apply a cheap soft all temp and let them cool completely. this will strip off the garbage factory coat that's already on there......
    The correct method for a 'hot scrape clean' is to scrape the wax off immediately after applying to pull all the crap out of the base. It's the subsequent wax applications that should be left to completely cool.