Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: I-70 is F@&KED

1:15 Denver to Copper...solution is to have Bronco games every weekend day

Quote Originally Posted by newbreak View Post
    Haha that's funny. You have no idea how I drive except for an ironic forum post. Good to see folks have a sense of humor. Yes, I am sure the traffic would be different if trucks were limited.

The driver right behind you is the entitled one.

No he knows your an "entitled fuckwad", without observing your driving, he knows because you just proposed to put your PLAY in front of someone else's WORK.

I was raised you don't bother a man with non work when he's working (if you can't help the LEAST you can do is not hinder)...in fact I was raised where respect of that rule was a mark of a mans character, I still think it's a good rule on both common sense AND judging character.

And the traffic wouldn't change all that much, but your ability to procure goods and services as well as their prices would change more than you can possibly imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMontana View Post
    No he knows your an "entitled fuckwad", without observing your driving, he knows because you just proposed to put your PLAY in front of someone else's WORK.

I was raised you don't bother a man with non work when he's working (if you can't help the LEAST you can do is not hinder)...in fact I was raised where respect of that rule was a mark of a mans character, I still think it's a good rule on both common sense AND judging character.

And the traffic wouldn't change all that much, but your ability to procure goods and services as well as their prices would change more than you can possibly imagine.
    I'll bite. What you call PLAYING is actually a multi-billion dollar industry in the US: the ski recreation industry. Traffic adversely affects this important driver of the economy in Colorado. I imagine the truck drivers don't like dealing with ski traffic either, and I'm sure the smart ones plan their routes and travel times accordingly.

This whole thread should be deleted. If you don't know how to make skiing I-70 resorts work without encountering traffic you're a Colorado JONG and you should ski somewhere else. There is a huge state out there, replete with snow-covered mountains.

Holy shit, you guys whine a lot for people who choose to live in a major population area. I have zero sympathy for folks who choose to live where there is traffic then bitch about the traffic.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Which of you as swipes is going to come up with a solution and make a few million dollars?
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

There is a solution for sure. No one should have to pay the tens of billions it would cost. It is a mountain road (hwy) and it is amazing it works so well as it is.

10 hours a week out of 168 available is less than 6% difference and it would most likely have a direct result in traffic flow and subsequent decrease in incidents.
    Some local trucking companies (natural foods for instance) actually follow this protocol already in CO, it's not a novel idea.

It's not perfect asswad , but it's better than bitching.

The normal solution is avoid west bound weekends between 2-8 PM and be eastbound around 6AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnM View Post
    The normal solution is avoid west bound weekends between 2-8 PM and be eastbound around 6AM.
    Thank you captain obvious. Is it really that hard for people to figure out when everyone else in Denver will be going to/from the ski areas, and avoid being on the road at those times?

Do you all leave your dentist jobs at 4:55 pm, get on I-25, and wonder why the hell you're sitting in traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by MtnM View Post
    Why would anyone want to do that. . Check your compass.

Quote Originally Posted by COpow View Post
    I'll bite. What you call PLAYING is actually a multi-billion dollar industry in the US: the ski recreation industry. Traffic adversely affects this important driver of the economy in Colorado. I imagine the truck drivers don't like dealing with ski traffic either, and I'm sure the smart ones plan their routes and travel times accordingly.

This whole thread should be deleted. If you don't know how to make skiing I-70 resorts work without encountering traffic you're a Colorado JONG and you should ski somewhere else. There is a huge state out there, replete with snow-covered mountains.
    You really want to compare each specific "industry" economic impact? I'll spot you multi billion dollar industry on your end, and raise you everything you do on a daily basis, from shit to ski.

The thought process was that it's not funny that someone would think that they have more of a right to use something for play than another person does for work, it's horrific, and this self centered lack of reason is a major reason for [insert problem in today's society here].

Also the vast majority of truckers don't get to plan their routes and times, they pick up at 3 pm and have to deliver 550 miles away in 11 hours, or similar, eating while not moving is a rare luxury let alone shutting down all receiving from east or west bound sources for hours at a time.

I'm lucky enough to drive freight where I get to say I'll be there when I am there, 98% of drivers can't do that.

Whole foods plans shipping and receiving around traffic? Remind me how their price structure compares to the places people shop that don't have excessive disposable trust fund or stock market money?

I've heard it would cost like $4 billion to build a train from Denver to Glenwood that would stop in Summit, Vail and Eagle along the way. There are 5 million people in Colorado, 4 million of whom live in the Front Range.

Can we just start a fund to build the damn train? I'll pony up and give $1,000 tomorrow. If everyone in the Front Range did that we'd pay for the train.

Quote Originally Posted by newbreak View Post
    I do think the state needs to limit big trucks between 6 and 10a west bound, and 1 and 6pm eastbound on weekends and Monday holidays.
    You are a retarded douche. If you can't figure it why, it's because you are a retarded douche.

Quote Originally Posted by skipowpow View Post
    Why would anyone want to do that. . Check your compass.
    Right you are (or perhaps Left you are). Dyslexia strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbd View Post
    It's the Broncos fault. If they'd lost last week the traffic would have spread out between Saturday and Sunday, but instead everybody wanted to ski Saturday and watch football Sunday. Right now traffic is flowing at 55-65 the whole way, according to CDOT.
    Yesterday was no problem. Super Bowl Sunday should be a breeze as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I've heard it would cost like $4 billion to build a train from Denver to Glenwood that would stop in Summit, Vail and Eagle along the way. There are 5 million people in Colorado, 4 million of whom live in the Front Range.

Can we just start a fund to build the damn train? I'll pony up and give $1,000 tomorrow. If everyone in the Front Range did that we'd pay for the train.
    this is just a fantasy it's a nice idea but the reality is garbage, just look at RTD and their train system, all lies, they didn't have a clue about actual costs, it was suppose to be built out in less than 20 years and now it might be done in 50 or more years

what happens when the train stops in silverthorne or frisco? there will be no spur to keystone or breck, so then you have to rely on public transportation, summit county cannot keep their bus system afloat as it is, the current summit stage is a disaster waiting to implode, no funding, busses are trash, drivers in short supply, rider numbers are flat

public transportation is a joke in colorado, people are way to self absorbed to take the bus, especially to the mtns they need a big SUV with alll the comforts of home I repeat people are way to white and wealthy in colorado to consider public transportation as a vaible option

massive amounts of money need to be dumped into the highway itself a third bore at loveland needs to be done ASAP, then maybe in fifty or a hundred years that bore could be used for some pie in the sky train

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    It's not that anyone is driving illegally, it's just that they aren't driving in a fashion conducive to keeping lots of vehicles moving. It doesn't take much to screw up a 2 lane highway with 10's of thousands of cars trying to drive on it. And with 10's of thousands of cars that's a lot of opportunities to screw it all up.
    That would be incorrect. Colorado state law is that on any divided 65mph highway all drivers are required to be in the right lanes unless passing. The problem is that the law is not enforced. How many douches do you see on the highway every day that believe they "own" the left lane no matter what they're doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild4umlauts View Post
    That would be incorrect. Colorado state law is that on any divided 65mph highway all drivers are required to be in the right lanes unless passing. The problem is that the law is not enforced. How many douches do you see on the highway every day that believe they "own" the left lane no matter what they're doing?
    I guess I'm just getting used to all those guys as it's a common occurrence in Colorado on any given road. I still don't think they are a major player though. My theory is that it's the people who don't know how to merge into the fast lane to pass and the people in the fast lane (and the slow lane for that matter) that aren't paying attention to what's happening up ahead. Just a few people slamming on thier brakes too hard because they are over reacting to brake lights up ahead can make a real mess.

No one is going to ride a train to go skiing.

You think driving is a shit show. How about carrying all of your gear around all day? and dragging it from Train to Bus to Bus to Train?

Wanna bring some clothes to change into at the end of the day? Better get ready to pay top dollar for a locker room club?

Once the wealthy elite skiers actually think about taking public transportation to go skiing, the thought of sitting idle in the Range Rover with the kids sounds a lot more appealing.

It's not about being self absorbed...who is going to drive to Union Station with 2 kids and all their stuff, get on a train to Frisco, then get on a bus to Breck then get on a gondola, just to get to the base of Peak 8. That's completely unrealistic.
    Even the most hardened New Yorker who rides the bus and subway everywhere isn't going to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    this is just a fantasy it's a nice idea but the reality is garbage, just look at RTD and their train system, all lies, they didn't have a clue about actual costs, it was suppose to be built out in less than 20 years and now it might be done in 50 or more years

what happens when the train stops in silverthorne or frisco? there will be no spur to keystone or breck, so then you have to rely on public transportation, summit county cannot keep their bus system afloat as it is, the current summit stage is a disaster waiting to implode, no funding, busses are trash, drivers in short supply, rider numbers are flat

public transportation is a joke in colorado, people are way to self absorbed to take the bus, especially to the mtns they need a big SUV with alll the comforts of home I repeat people are way to white and wealthy in colorado to consider public transportation as a vaible option

massive amounts of money need to be dumped into the highway itself a third bore at loveland needs to be done ASAP, then maybe in fifty or a hundred years that bore could be used for some pie in the sky train

Quote Originally Posted by Wild4umlauts View Post
    Let’s not act like “stupid drivers doing stupid things” is something that can be fixed. They exist in every city across the country.
    There are way too many “what if” scenarios with flow of traffic-esque issues that it’s rare that it will ever be enforced.

Try 10 times that for Denver to Glenwood. You ready to convince everyone to pay $10,000 each now?

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Try 10 times that for Denver to Glenwood. You ready to convince everyone to pay $10,000 each now?
    Fuck it. I'll give $10k.

This state is turning into Los Angeles. We can't let that happen.

As for the Keystone/ Breckenridge comments- it would be totally possible to build light rail to both places. You all talk about it like it is an impossibility. It is not.

Fuck it. I'll give $10k.

This state is turning into Los Angeles. We can't let that happen.

As for the Keystone/ Breckenridge comments- it would be totally possible to build light rail to both places. You all talk about it like it is an impossibility. It is not.
    It is impossible, for so many different reasons. First of all, light rail is not powerful enough to make it up many of the steeper grades on 170, and would therefore require a more expensive technology such as EMU or maglev, or ridiculously expensive tunnels to avoid the steeper grades.

Second, have any of you guys actually looked at the cost estimates for the train? Last I saw it was something like 10 billion. This is pie in the sky type of stuff and will NEVER happen. Even if the train did get built, tickets are going to cost upwards of 50 bucks. Who is going to pay that? Not worth it, especially if traveling with multiple people.

The next problem is that the west rail line is a light rail system, and would therefore require a transfer to the ski train at i70, which will be a different technology. This ski train won't even get near most ski areas besides MAYBE copper and Loveland. Vail is not happening. Can you really imagine the residents of vail valley allowing a train through their precious real estate? So to get to most ski resorts from central denver would require a minimum of 2 transfers. 3 from the airport. And you expect people to do this with ski gear etc?

The only real public transit solution for i70 IMHO would be a large BRT system with different routes that terminated at different ski areas. Much cheaper to implement, and actually more effective for many reasons

If a public transportation system did work, I'd think the towns and mtns would be even more crowded. Fuck that.