Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: I-70 is F@&KED

Breaking news...drivers suck everywhere. You should have to take a driving test every ten years.

I grew up and learned to drive near Buffalo, New York. How can Colorado drivers not know how to drive in the snow? I hate having the left lane clogged with drivers doing 40 or less, when 50 is safe.
    I ski because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.

"This deep snow makes my skis stupid!"

I do think the state needs to limit big trucks between 6 and 10a west bound, and 1 and 6pm eastbound on weekends and Monday holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by newbreak View Post
    I do think the state needs to limit big trucks between 6 and 10a west bound, and 1 and 6pm eastbound on weekends and Monday holidays.
    Will you drive like less of an entitled fuckwad?

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Will you drive like less of an entitled fuckwad?
    Haha that's funny. You have no idea how I drive except for an ironic forum post. Good to see folks have a sense of humor. Yes, I am sure the traffic would be different if trucks were limited.

The driver right behind you is the entitled one.

Or we could just let the shit show get so bad that either you demand a mass transit option or quit skiing. If you're in the the traffic you're part of the problem and got no right to bitch.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Breaking news...drivers suck everywhere. You should have to take a driving test every ten years.
    +1

I've been saying this for awhile now.
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

Haha that's funny. You have no idea how I drive except for an ironic forum post. Good to see folks have a sense of humor. Yes, I am sure the traffic would be different if trucks were limited.

The driver right behind you is the entitled one.
    You're the one who wants to limit access to people who use the road for what they're intended for. Interstate commerce.

Ironic forum post. You said how you drove and now you chalk it up to that? Own your douchy driving just like Danno.

The big rigs aren't the problem. It's the stupid fucks that can't drive when they get around them.

Except for the ass hole truckers that think they don't need to put chains on then get stuck. But there's already laws to address that.

Quote Originally Posted by ole2planker View Post
    I grew up and learned to drive near Buffalo, New York. How can Colorado drivers not know how to drive in the snow? I hate having the left lane clogged with drivers doing 40 or less, when 50 is safe.
    hats off to Buffalonian's even with bad tires they can handle snow covered roads. long live North Tonawanda. even in a blinding snow storm or fog when you can't see it you can sure smell it

last January driving back from Vail to Denver at the tail end of that 4 day period of constant snow wasn't too stressful. some fuckheads going too fast for the conditions but most seemed to be good drivers.
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Holy hell, I've never seen it as busy at 6:15 am as it was today. Going 20-45 mph from the on ramp of c470 to 70 to 40 was awesome. Yes, it is a holiday weekend but geezus....

Periodic driving tests would do no good. People know how to drive when there is a cop around, but otherwise they just do as they please. Most know how to drive, they just choose not to cuz they don't give a fuck about others.

average 80 mph this morning on my way to work, topped out at 90 a few times easy as pie drive till the county line and jeffco cops were working it and only could do 8 over, used the horn once and counted to three a few times

the way home was a little rough but still managed 80 mph avg, my bro claimed to hit 110 up gtown hill a half hr after me (100 isn't unheard of on the flats before the hill on a low traffic day) I'll give it to him

still don't know what the problem is with I 70, it was a nice saturday drive for me

I find myself going really fast between 40 and Georgetown without even knowing. When the other side is stacked with cars I kind of feel bad, and I kind of giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by ole2planker View Post
    It's Front Range drivers that are clueless bc there's generally not that much snow and when it does snow, it is gone in like a day.

Quote Originally Posted by MJbumper1121 View Post
    Holy hell, I've never seen it as busy at 6:15 am as it was today. Going 20-45 mph from the on ramp of c470 to 70 to 40 was awesome. Yes, it is a holiday weekend but geezus....
    Maybe we should start a heli op to the mtns? Run it out of the Dinosaur Lot?

Um, no. Those guys are actually working; you're recreating. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you'll realize nobody gives a shit how long you sit in traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Periodic driving tests would do no good. People know how to drive when there is a cop around, but otherwise they just do as they please. Most know how to drive, they just choose not to cuz they don't give a fuck about others.
    It's not that anyone is driving illegally, it's just that they aren't driving in a fashion conducive to keeping lots of vehicles moving. It doesn't take much to screw up a 2 lane highway with 10's of thousands of cars trying to drive on it. And with 10's of thousands of cars that's a lot of opportunities to screw it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post

by the way, I'm pretty sure ten or so years ago cdot and the state had an agreement with clear creek county not to 6 lane 70 through their county
    Maybe because doing so would require leveling a bunch of houses, or stacking the road through Idaho Springs?

But keep blaming Clear Creek, whose only benefit from the interstate running through it are realized by the few places where people gas up and piss, and the residents who were looking for an excuse for not going anywhere on a weekend during peak summer and winter travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Even chained up the semi-trucks spin out on the approach to the Johnson Tunnel.
    Still trying to figure out why the CDOT pick-up truck was able to push a semi-truck up the approach, but the semi couldn't make it on its own.

I'm not saying in does not suck, but think about what kind of leverage you day skiers have? It's pretty close to zero. The mountain communities and ski area operators don't care how long you sit in traffic. The infrastructure of the resorts is already pretty maxes. When the resorts are empty because the skiers are fed up with the traffic, then you'll have leverage. Right now, if you don't sit in traffic, someone else will. Your $400 pass buying, PBR in the parking lot, Cliff Bar eating ass ain't paying the bills. The ski areas and mountain communities want you to say over instead of driving home, they want you to eat dinner Sunday night in town, get it?

It is a problem for YOU, but politically there is very little motivation for change. What's the payback for society as a whole to fund huge public works projects with dubious financial gain and incremental to zero tax revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    It is a problem for YOU, but politically there is very little motivation for change. What's the payback for society as a whole to fund huge public works projects with dubious financial gain and incremental to zero tax revenue?
    Actually, this study claims a $1B annual impact from I70 congestion (assuming inflation from 2005 number).
    http://www.i70solutions.org/docs/rep...ril%202007.pdf
    I would say thats plenty of reason to build up some lanes.

^^^Nice study! Did you read it?

a. only $25m is associated with recreation (that us...skiers) assuming a 1% decrease in tourism spending in the mountain region

b. the big number $728m is a function of an assumed 0.5% decrease in business efficiency in all metro and I-70 corridor economies

My point was that front range day skiers have no leverage. Your study supports that. Simplified, the tax wide tax base (and the feds through transfer payments) ain't gonna jump up and down to fund a project to get more more recreationalists into the mountain communities. Now if you get some private sector heavy weights with deep pockets and lots of leverage lobbying that I70 congestion is a huge drag on commerce as a whole, that's a different story. I'm not saying that I70 is not a problem, simply that if the problem is pigeon holed as "getting day skiers to and from the resorts", its a dead end street.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'm not saying that I70 is not a problem, simply that if the problem is pigeon holed as "getting day skiers to and from the resorts", its a dead end street.
    Yeah, obviously it's not as simple as day skiers, or we'd never have Memorial Day, Labor Day and summer slowdowns.
    The feds will have to get involved. You will never get the tax/toll revenue to pay off a major rebuild of the highway.
    I have no idea what the overall economic impact of FR day skiers is, but I'd imagine its no number to scoff at either..

Quote Originally Posted by MJbumper1121 View Post
    It's the Broncos fault. If they'd lost last week the traffic would have spread out between Saturday and Sunday, but instead everybody wanted to ski Saturday and watch football Sunday. Right now traffic is flowing at 55-65 the whole way, according to CDOT.
    Change is good. You go first.