Page 160 of 327 FirstFirst ... 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 8160

Master of mediocrity.

Seems everyone's nostalgic lately.

I apricate this now more than in the 80's
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

^Anyone here ever been to a sexpistols show?

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    ^Anyone here ever been to a sexpistols show?
    No dammit. Did see the Clash after London Calling but that's about as close as I came.

Small window to see the pistols. That’d be intense. The clash supporting London calling would be amazing. One of the best albums of all time. When I play some tunes , it’s always an option

I missed out on both the Pistols and the Clash. When the Clash opened for The Who back in 82 (2 of my all time favorites), they were north, I was south. When they came south, I was north. Still pissed/disappointed to this day.

Those crowds at the Pistol's shows looked pretty intense. I guess you had to be at the right place at the right time.

I used to walk past The Chelsea quite a bit and thought of them/him often.

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

Heard ya, MTT. How about an album that is a week old but is tounge-in-cheek nostalgic AF?

My favorite 1-2-3 punch on the album:

(this one released as a single)

Master of mediocrity.

unfortunately you can't hear Emmylou and Bonnie at all but...

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I missed out on both the Pistols and the Clash. When the Clash opened for The Who back in 82 (2 of my all time favorites), they were north, I was south. When they came south, I was north. Still pissed/disappointed to this day.
    We all have those "shows that got away." I could have seen the Dead easily many times but back in my punk days I hated "hippie" music so I never stooped to attend. Really regret that, later I really came to appreciate their music.

In the early '80s my 2 brothers and I had tickets to see XTC at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, super intimate setting, like third row center seats. They had just put out their double album "English Settlement" which we thought was such a masterpiece, they were probably our favorite band at the time. Then a day or two before the show the lead singer Andy Partridge had stomach problems and they canceled. ARGH. Still bummed to this day.

And then there's the time my parents invited me to go with them to see Johnny Cash at the Carleton Celebrity Room in Mpls. They were buying my ticket. But I was in high school, and I turned them down because, you know, I had to hang out with my fucking friends and do NOTHING that night. Fack...coulda seen the man in black. That one really haunts me.

I was pretty fortunate to work for a few years at big clubs in DC, the biggest was the Wax Museum Nightclub which was only open 3 years but I worked there the entire time, actually from before it opened, building it out, and after it closed, salvaging equipment before it got repoed. We could fit 2500 in the house, at the time it was the biggest club south of New York, so there were tons of great shows, from Stevie Ray to the Ramones to John Lee Hooker and on and on. One guy who played there was Mac Rebennac, aka

One great thing about the big cities, the possibility to see all the good music. Growing up we got to see April wine annually in our small city. Was ok except the annual thing got stale, then before I left SRV rolled thru just before he died. Wow! That made up for a lot of missed music. Dweezil Zappa is playing in Nelson in dec so I’d like to scoot down and check that out.
    Just found this album. 2016. Crazy how fresh and hungry he sounds , every damn year, every album. Right now and scared for the children are great tracks too

@Grinch; you guys had it good in the lower half of the province. Live music up in NWBC was/is basically local jam bands of varying quality and shows were kinda few and far between. The summer music fests were/are awesome but the rest of the year was kinda droughtish for live muzak. These days, Terrace's big highlight is during riverboat days when they import semiretired classic rock bands like Honeymoon Suite, Platinum Blonde, Streethard, etc. Highlight year was when BC/DC rocked the stage way mo betta than the kinda washed up bigger names. When i wuz a kid the biggest highlight was driving 18 hours to see Motley Crue in Van for the night and drove back the next day. Great show but ended up with permanent hearing damage. Thought it was 'cool' not to use earplugs back in the rebel youth or something.

Prob the best live band to hit Rupert back in the day was Roots Roundup from Van or Vic...small name but big live act. Ended up roadying for them for the rest of their gigs in terrace, smithers and p.g. That was legit good timez.

Master of mediocrity.

Brand new Joy...

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    @Grinch; you guys had it good in the lower half of the province. Live music up in NWBC was/is basically local jam bands of varying quality and shows were kinda few and far between. The summer music fests were/are awesome but the rest of the year was kinda droughtish for live muzak. These days, Terrace's big highlight is during riverboat days when they import semiretired classic rock bands like Honeymoon Suite, Platinum Blonde, Streethard, etc. Highlight year was when BC/DC rocked the stage way mo betta than the kinda washed up bigger names. When i wuz a kid the biggest highlight was driving 18 hours to see Motley Crue in Van for the night and drove back the next day. Great show but ended up with permanent hearing damage. Thought it was 'cool' not to use earplugs back in the rebel youth or something.

Prob the best live band to hit Rupert back in the day was Roots Roundup from Van or Vic...small name but big live act. Ended up roadying for them for the rest of their gigs in terrace, smithers and p.g. That was legit good timez.

You guys are a little out of the way but great music scene in BC. I grew up in NB. A fair bit of good acts thru the southern ski towns here though. Always heard good things about roots roundup and have no excuse but haven’t seen them. I like it. Reminds me of fishbone when they had horns

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    An awesome song done well, but brings back a really bad memory.

Carson city when I was 14,

Went to a big Keg ++ party on Washoe lake. This guy who had a band sang this song Acapella , just standing around the camp fire with a beer in hand, Sounded just like the guy in this song. Very talented.

That night driving back from the party he ran his car off the road, he and his girlfriend were ejected and killed.

So wow, what a memory - I am tempted to look up their names, but it was a moment That will never leave me.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

My latest find; great stuff. Like True Widow and Pavement had a bastard child, and let Steve Albini raise it.

https://ratthemagnificent.bandcamp.c...dy-as-pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    One great thing about the big cities, the possibility to see all the good music.
    OTOH, one thing I grew to appreciate living in a small town very far from any city, is that if you wanted to see good live music, you went to see whoever the local concert series brought in, and in that way got introduced to a lot of cool music that you might never have known about if you lived in the city. In Durango, I got introduced to Robert Earl Keen (who is now one of my absolute favorites), Iris Dement, Tim O'Brien, James McMurtry, Greg Brown, etc.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    My latest find; great stuff. Like True Widow and Pavement had a bastard child, and let Steve Albini raise it.

https://ratthemagnificent.bandcamp.c...dy-as-pleasure
    This plump fish is gonna bite on that bait