Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

333 IS BACK!!! "Community Skis"

Saw this shop next to Mammoth Brewing last weekend - Community Skis.

Looked like a "shapers studio" sort of thing, where you pay to shape/glass your own surfboard under the guidance of a real expert, but for skis. Then I looked inside and saw this guy with a mohawk...... According to the website - he is doing the same old 333 thing, under a new name.

http://www.communityskis.com/
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Well looks like its now Around 500$ and maybe not using Plywood for the cores.

Maybe he has learned something.

Its hard to make a living out on the East Slope. I hope he does well.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Reserved...............

It takes a village to raise a ski factory.
    This guy could not be more cliche if he tried...

Damn, the $167 / pair got a nice looking sign and internal plumbing.

Welcome to the 20th Century 333.
    -the 21st century

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I hope he does well.
    You're a far more forgiving dickhead than I.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I still have an unmounted pair of his first run of 222 skis, they are not allowed in the house.

Doesn't seem to be operating out of a trailer anymore either. Movin' up in the world!
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

hardcore ski testing

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Its sad.... if done well, there is a spot in the marketplace for this.

Imagine - you walk into a shop, pay $1000, sit down with a pat/keith/scott type character, talk through your design, choose materials, select a topsheet, and possibly be a set of extra hands when building your skis....

Too bad this guy does this for too cheap with low end materials....

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Not sure $1000 is enough. especially if you want control of materials, and specific control of the rocker profile.

You would need:
    2-D CNC cutter for the core, base, and most of the some of the raw materials -easy, but expensive.

The knowledge and experience to quickly come up with an accurate core profile to achieve the desired end flex/weight. The tools and ability to quickly produce said profiled core.

A custom ski press that uses pneumatic (or other method) for finite control of the rocker profile, this is not that complicated, but would be expensive to build and program, especially if you want a large number of control points. Just to put it in perspective it is the same as designing a custom flow supersonic wind tunnel. Now for $1000+ I want control of the base profile in a 3 Dimensional sense, eg Pillow Fight and Spoon. This just got more complex.

Then you need to develop the supply logistics, and find a price that produces a steady set of customers.

I think there is a reason that the number of custom ski companies out there is so small, and their product so expensive.

333 Dude does not really get reality.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Imagine - you walk into a shop, pay $1000, sit down with a pat/keith/scott type character, talk through your design, choose materials, select a topsheet, and possibly be a set of extra hands when building your skis....
    It is available, for a price

http://www.wagnerskis.com/testification/

Originally Posted by MTT
    I hope he does well.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    You're a far more forgiving dickhead than I.
    dick head?
    I never understood why a Maggot would have ever bought that shit? (Were you that Dumb)?

But for the average gaper out of so Cal who puts in 10 days a year sliding the groomers and hanging at the bar?
    I would much rather see the money go to him and other locals than some corperate fuck heads who buy 1000,000 pair a year from China marked up 1,000%

He never hurt me, he was trying something sort of new, for some he had some issues. Don't hate on a guy trying to make a living, have some fun and put some food in his kids mouths.

Like I said maybe he learned something? Maybe he is still full of shit. But hey, his skis (Are not for you) why hate on him.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Pretty cool system they have set up in there. It's like a sushi bar meets a museum meets a construction site. Dialed. Fully. They're doing good work there.

Looks good. I haven't ridden any pair but here's a testimonial: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fa...ke-skis-031813

Now. As far as a critique of the what they're putting out, It looks to me like they're only falling short in the Park skiing department. Not really doing much sidewall construction, nor a thicker full wrap edge. They use a fiberglass matrix as a tip/tail spacer off the core to reduce chatter, but i'm not sure how that would hold up with repetitive stomping on big jumps.
    I also agree with XavierD^ on the rocker profiling they do being somewhat limited, and on an aesthetic level, the tip of their skis just look weird to me.
    -
    Other than that, the mohawk guy explained the whole bit behind their process, and it's pretty sound. The materials they're using are NOT sub par, and their supply chain keeps low overhead. Nothing wrong with horizontal laminate core's as far as i can tell (some of the funnest skis I've ridden had that), and the top-sheet is super simple and lightweight paper/resin combo (granted i don't really give much a fuck about graphics generally speaking).
    What more do most skiers really need? Shape, flex pattern, and durability are what make a ski. It's a sandwich. Period.
    Although you may run into some small limitations with Community Skis on the details of shaping, that's easily compromised with the price tag. They make blank customs for $450, any size.
    Shit's sick.
    -
    At the least, for what its worth in Mammoth, they're doing a pretty awesome thing in that shop. It's dialed, and local. They should be appreciated for offering an AFFORDABLE alternative to dropping close to a G in a retail shop and more than a G on any other custom ski maker.
    Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by beeshbeesh View Post
    Dialed. Fully.
    Orly?

I mean, they've been around for a couple months now. How could their products not be fully dialed?

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Too bad this guy does this for too cheap with low end materials....

You can.

http://spurart.at/en/

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Now for $1000+ I want control of the base profile in a 3 Dimensional sense, eg Pillow Fight
    Sorry for the OT, but i've done research about that more than once and found nothing (besides the note on the on3p site), how can i find more about it (review and or pics)?

I'm ready for a public flogging.

ruh roh..

"Dynafit bindings are a light weight approach to AT setups. Michael's been skiing on this binding for a while now. It has a true din setting but in this case, he's blown out. At first, you think the design will pre release. His thinking was to increase his standard setting of din 6 up to din 9. Well, on a hard charge he did not release and heard a large pop in his left knee. So now he reset the number to din 6 and is learning to ski with a light foot."
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The real deal:

http://www.skilab.com/
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Sauce View Post
    The real deal:

http://www.skilab.com/
    The longest ski on their site is a 176 and one photo shows a old Rossi scratch BC.....

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

At $450 for raw glass/ $650 for custom topsheet and still using baltic birch cores I'll keep sending Praxis my hard earned dough.

From teh website:

Is it possible to do my workshop in the 333 trailer?

■No. The trailer has been confiscated and is no longer in our possession. Michael is in process of designing a second generation trailer so possibly at a later time the workshop can be executed off grid, outback, under the open skies.

Lots of other funneh shit on his site
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

He's missing the boat on custom snow blades. No one is doing that well yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ruh roh..

I pray to Lucifer for this exact thing to happen every time I see someone with a pole cam.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    He's missing the boat on custom snow blades. No one is doing that well yet.
    Adria33 and his heartcarvers are going to be pissed you said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

trailer confiscated? what up with that?