Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    No, THE Wagner where you buy all your skis.

Wishing you good luck.
    Maybe have a few proven designs configured and let the customer design the top sheet.
    Winning combo at the outdoor bar scene.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Wishing you good luck.
    Maybe have a few proven designs configured and let the customer design the top sheet.
    Winning combo at the outdoor bar scene.
    That is no-question where it will have to start. The idea with the system is for that people can choose their own design but we will be in control of how many designs are available. The software is actually pretty amazing in what it is capable of so we shall see how that works in reality. Lish has been using this program to build kids building programs at schools and with great success so only time will tell what stays in his concepts and what goes. I am on the board of directors for Deviation Ski & Snowboard and have spent some time in the factory building skis so it's not my first rodeo but I still have much to learn. We have been given the time to learn so jumping on this oppertunity to make many dreams come true for many people. I will be in charge of overseeing the project and of course marketing/outreach as we progress but first I want to get my hands dirty. Build a crap ton of skis and ski them. I won't sell a ski unless I would ski them myself...which has always been my way and I have sold a ton of skis in my life.

I will start a new thread soon where I will be looking for feedback on best-practices from other ski builders on this forum. I look forward to hearing from you all.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

P.E.T.A. People Eating Tasty Animals

I would pay swissiphic $333 to modify old k2's and boots to meet my exact specifications

boutique business model?

A local guy is making skis one pair at a time in his garage shop, the quality is super high, the price is double and I know that nobody is breaking the skis

So it is possible to build backyard skis that don't break but that doesn't sound like 333 ?

and then there is still the question of who does the R&D on what kind of ski gets made ?

I could buy a set for $$$$ but its just way easier/cheaper to buy a known performer from a real ski manufacturer
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-28-2019 at 03:02 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Well Jarly, I don't know you, but it sounds like you are pretty serious about this endeavor. I hope you haven't like, thrown your life savings into it, but...despite my shit-talking, I do sincerely wish you the best of luck.

But, Lish is going to train you, then leave? Sounds kind of like the blind leading the naked (then abandoning them in mid-desert). But what do I know - perhaps the kinks have actually been ironed out...? It's a pretty cool concept if you can manage to deliver on everything promised...for reelzez (and in a consistent manner).

As for me, think I'll stick to the Praxis spring sale, etc., for my custom skis needs (ok, not FULL custom, but actually I'd actually, vastly prefer an actual ski designer to get it right, where I can somewhat tweak it from there, rather than me guessing) - starting from only like $50 more (and the build quality is a proven quantity, unlike, say, 333).

Finally: I strongly suggest raising the price $16, and going with "666" as the brand name. Notoriety on top of notoriety and all...

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    For a fresh start, and to erase any negative connotations associated with the original 333 brand have you ever considered changing the name of the company?
    This is good advice. I'm no biz whiz, but I think a major re-branding is likely crucial to survival (even beyond the "Community Skis" name). Although if you are basing it on the prior model with training by the former owner, it may be DOA before you start.

Also, someone mentioned customer exposure to chemicals. I would throw in a concern about operating power tools. Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen, not to mention health effects of possible exposure whether you are sued or not.

Do you have a plan in place to test a respirator for proper function if there are VOCs of concern? It's important. Not to mention all the other potential safety concerns (besides skis snapping mid-run I mean).

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    This is good advice. I'm no biz whiz, but I think a major re-branding is likely crucial to survival (even beyond the "Community Skis" name). Although if you are basing it on the prior model with training by the former owner, it may be DOA before you start.

Also, someone mentioned customer exposure to chemicals. I would throw in a concern about operating power tools. Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen, not to mention health effects of possible exposure whether you are sued or not.

Do you have a plan in place to test a respirator for proper function if there are VOCs of concern? It's important. Not to mention all the other potential safety concerns (besides skis snapping mid-run I mean).
    The short version, my 8-year-old son will grow-up in this factory so I will have all of these concerns factored into all of this. Ventilation will be very involved even with low VOC epoxy and power tools, well my own son has been using my chop-saw, pull-knives among many other tools since he was very little. That is the least of my concerns but yes, I do think about that often and thankfully we have plenty of time to work through all of those risks. It's not my money on the line thankfully but I do want to ensure all the i's have dots and t's are crossed. I will start a new thread soon and I look forward to you all following the journey. I have much to learn and thankfully I know some pretty knowledgable people to help me with the things I still need to learn and I won't be going it alone.

Excited to pull my team together and get building. The goal of this won't be the most amazing ski you have ever skied but the experience, but I sure do hope they are darn close. We have a small hill and a tight community so it will be a fun process which we all do together...starting with our very own RV row(of which I am a member). Stay tuned...HMS will come to life soon.

I really do appreciate the feedback and thoughts on how best to do this, I have done many things in my life but this will be my first ski factory. Your feedback and community support will be what makes this the best that it can be. Long-term I have big plans which I know many of you will really enjoy...I am also history buff with a large historical collection of skis so it will all come full-circle with this program.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Good luck, Jarl.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by jarlybart View Post
    The short version, ..The goal of this won't be the most amazing ski you have ever skied ...
    I was with you right up to here... now I am out (Dragons Den reference!)

I was lucky enough to get to build a pair of skis with James @ paranormal skis.

We spent hours going over exactly what we wanted the skis to do, how we would get the feel I was looking for, what would and would not work in our prevailing conditions.

I put blood (literally) sweat and beers into the build - but only really about 6-10 hours over a month- could have been done over a week or so but my schedule was a bit nuts at the time. James put in more hours less blood and no beer.

My Huskis are light and strong but def not $333. But I can say I helped design and build them. Why would I want to put that effort and time into “ok” skis? Why would he?

I thought my first pair were great but James didn’t like them and thought more carbon in the tips would perform better/last longer - so we built a new pair (at no extra cost to me). That is not a money making proposition for him, but man v2 is a great ski that I am proud to own. And proud to say I helped build.

Plus life is too short to ski on crap. Ever have a ski come apart at speed or very far out?- not fun.

Not sure what your market is or if you’ve done market research on this but if you are after the legal-dentist crowd who know a good ski (for them) from a “meh” ski- time is prob more important than $ for them If I am going to put time into it- better be a ski I can be proud of.

... unless you are really just making wall art-then carry on.

... or is it more of a “build a bear”, “stich-and-bitch- for men” concept where some buddies show up at the shop drink bear - maybe glue some wood together and go home with a buzz and a souvenir pair of skis on par with what they could get at Walmart?

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    I was with you right up to here... now I am out (Dragons Den reference!)

I was lucky enough to get to build a pair of skis with James @ paranormal skis.

We spent hours going over exactly what we wanted the skis to do, how we would get the feel I was looking for, what would and would not work in our prevailing conditions.

I put blood (literally) sweat and beers into the build - but only really about 6-10 hours over a month- could have been done over a week or so but my schedule was a bit nuts at the time. James put in more hours less blood and no beer.

My Huskis are light and strong but def not $333. But I can say I helped design and build them. Why would I want to put that effort and time into “ok” skis? Why would he?

I thought my first pair were great but James didn’t like them and thought more carbon in the tips would perform better/last longer - so we built a new pair (at no extra cost to me). That is not a money making proposition for him, but man v2 is a great ski that I am proud to own. And proud to say I helped build.

Plus life is too short to ski on crap. Ever have a ski come apart at speed or very far out?- not fun.

Not sure what your market is or if you’ve done market research on this but if you are after the legal-dentist crowd who know a good ski (for them) from a “meh” ski- time is prob more important than $ for them If I am going to put time into it- better be a ski I can be proud of.

... unless you are really just making wall art-then carry on.

... or is it more of a “build a bear”, “stich-and-bitch- for men” concept where some buddies show up at the shop drink bear - maybe glue some wood together and go home with a buzz and a souvenir pair of skis on par with what they could get at Walmart?
    I totally get it...I hope they are the best skis one has ever skied, and in concept they should be as we will likely spend more time ensuring the design is perfect for each skier than building the ski. As I said before, this is still so much to learn about this process of making skis for me and in the end, if this system just isn't working as expected, we have a press ready to move into the factory and do it the way we already know. I don't plan on making crap skis as I happen to agree...life is too short to ski on crappy skis and any ski can be good in powder(in theory) but not every ski is great on groomed which is often the kind of snow we have at our hill. The bar is set high for me personally so I want to ensure we reach that goal.

All this to say...stay tuned. It will be a fun journey with some bumps in the road, but very excited to be taking this leap and working with ski bums of all ages to create something fun as that is the goal in the end...fun. I plan to make fun skis, skis that put a smile on each persons face. I gather we won't be working with many of the snooty skiers...price tag is all that matters to them anyway.

thats ^^ the point I was trying to make earlier, in this case James is making a sound ski that doesn't break but does it ski like a great ski ?

I think it was the Weapon I skied at 110 under foot he has made lots of them has the flex pretty dialed and they ski well but when you go all custom you just don't know until you get them on piste

James made one pair of 206's for Tom (called the Tomski ) a copy of Tom's favorite GS ski except 20mm wider on the dimensions, Tom sez they ski great and are a super easy ski to ski, I asked james why 206 and he said the beam he bought for the press cut into 4 equal sized pieces that will let him make up to a 206, i'm suprised more long ski lovers bought the Tomski

the Paranormal are 1149 CAN which is 863 USD and it sounds making custom sizes means making custom molds which is expensive

There are no shortcuts to manufacturing a ski, every time I talk to Jame he is doing something better/different in effect building a ski manufacturing facility to build 1 pair of skis at a time, the place is spotlessly neat/clean James makes a point of telling you not put your beer down on any equipment

I been on a few tours of Paranomal when Brian would bring the journalists thru, the guy from Salomon was impressed, Lee Lau was blown away, Sharon on the other hand was blown away by the scotch collection at Perry & co
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-30-2019 at 07:11 PM.

We will be building a ski jump in the next year or two and that may be a project I am most excited about...building jumping skis. Ok I am excited about many projects but this will be a passion project. :-)

Commercial suicide. Especially jump skis. You must have either a very wealthy or stupid backer, or both.
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 08-30-2019 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo

We have a very creative backer who likes doing fun projects like this. When all is said and done 10 years from now...we will be able to look back and be thankful for the time we spent and the lives we got to touch because we put this together. My part in this really will be bringing the team together and ensure they are the best they can be in their area of the process. I will ensure I am free enough to keep things in check and able to do the last pieces which is the final checks and ensure the tune is perfect down to the perfect wax and edge. You have to play to your strengths and mine will be to ensure each person has the perfect set of skis for them.

On the jump skis side of things...lighten up. Life is too short...again I along with my team will be the test-dummies first to ensure it CAN be done. Life is short...live it!

I think i was stoned when I read the post

so I wondered why make a ski jump ?

but now it sez Jump ski ... wtf ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think i was stoned when I read the post

so I wondered why make a ski jump ?

but now it sez Jump ski ... wtf ?
    He said he’s building both a ski jump and jump skis. Hope he’s loading up on liability insurance, too.

My buddy had somehow got a hold of jump skis they were 240cm, wide so they would fly off a jump but not that fast on snow
    I hope the press is big enough for jumping skis

I should go make popcorn for this thread

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    He said he’s building both a ski jump and jump skis. Hope he’s loading up on liability insurance, too.
    I think a combined distillery endeavor is in order!

And a fireworks manufacturing and storage facility so the clients can properly celebrate their new skis!
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    And a fireworks manufacturing and storage facility so the clients can properly celebrate their new skis!
    Also he'll need to build an adjacent gun store fully stocked with lots of guns and ammo because, you know, guns make you safe!

Biathalon

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Biathalon
    Yes! He also needs to build Biathlon skis! I mean he'll already have all the guns!

This is the best business plan EVER!

At the end if the day it's value-added paradigm shifting disruption blue sky thinking with core competencies and deliverables that synergistically integrates right sizing based on both the deep dive drill downs and the 10,000 foot views.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Yes! He also needs to build Biathlon skis! I mean he'll already have all the guns!

This is the best business plan EVER!

At the end if the day it's value-added paradigm shifting disruption blue sky thinking with core competencies and deliverables that synergistically integrates right sizing based on both the deep dive drill downs and the 10,000 foot views.
    I think I'm picking up what you're putting down. It's going to be crucial in this process to regularly do the cross functional reach out, stay locked in and close some gaps. He'll need to be able to do a reset when necessary. His numbers will be going the right direction when he can pivot with his strategy to meet the customer needs.

I just have one ask: stay more on the results oriented, purpose driven, customer-centric side, as opposed to the care, security, and order side. If you get too high on care for yourselves, within your established walls, it can cause siloing and detachment from the here-now.