Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bad timing for a Marker Duke pre-release...

Never had this one happen before, but I was hauling ass on some windbuff and went to start a hard turn and the downhill ski never came with me. Recovered on one ski for a second or two and almost was able to pull off a turn before smashing into a group of small trees. Bad fucking timing for the Duke to release, that's for sure. Nothing really injured aside from pride, a bruised knee and forearm tendons - got lucky. Thought it was kind of an entertainingly scary crash, so perhaps worth the 15 seconds to watch it.

OUCH! At least the ski knew to stay with you.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I had a similar pre-release on a deep day at bridger about two weeks ago.... nothing more unnerving than carrying speed and magically losing a ski... still like my dukes but much more cautious on them anymore
    Seems like no matter where I go it's already Turked out...

Not cool, glad you are ok. Very calm reaction too heh.

jeez, that could have been naughty, what you got the din's set at?
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

boy, that made me wince. glad your ok.

crank those dins up, or just bail on dukes. i wasnt overly impressed with them the two seasons i rode them, broke the frame (near the pivot) twice and pre-released more than i like. maybe the new ones are better.

dynafits (aside from two pair of boots) are more reliable IMHO
    "The top of the mountain is just the start of the journey." - favorite mentor in skiing and life

The wrong side of the Atlantic, the wrong side of the Channel...
    "Fuckin' A" indeed! Freeze frame at 10 seconds into the clip - if you find yourself in that situation you just know you're in for a bad time....! Glad you weren't more badly hurt.

Had a pre-release on a set of Barons a while back which was pretty similar - ski came off and I had just enough time to think "I might get away with this" before stacking it. No trees involved fortunately...

crank up your DIN or learn how to turn on one ski!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Definitely glad those trees were gentle with you. Between this and your brush with a "smallish slide" from last year, I'd say you're running down your nine lives, eh?

Holy crap.
    Glad you weren't hurt.

Holy shit dude...not what I was expecting! Glad you still with us..

wow, that was weird.
    good save

wow never heard of a marker binding prereleasing

glad it turned out alright for ya

Glad you're o.k. man, keep charging! I will say that when set up right on the money I have never had an issue with Dukes. I blew my acl when turning up din to compensate for imperfectly setup ones, but now I am meticulous about checking the toe height regularly. The AFD can go down on you after several hard ski days and also your boot soles get worn down so check it every week instead of just cranking the din to compensate. I feel that they are very prone to prerelease when the toe height is down just a little lower than it should be.

I'm sure you know this already, tech talk jong, etc, let the flaming begin, but since my accident, I have never once prereleased on my wimpy un TGR worthy din setting of 9 and I have come out perfectly when needed. Don't take my word for it, listen to Lou Dawson. You may want your knees to last a long time!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Crazy, glad you're OK. I know the feeling when you prerelease and look down and your ski is still moving by your foot, just not attached anymore then you explode.

Fuck me. It hurt watching.

Tree abuser!

Thought you had it totally in control there for a minute but that tree came up kinda fast.

*totally proper usage of the FKNA!

10 at the shop, run em at 12, found my knee is still comfortable there, heels I run at 13 to reduce forward release when landing in deep snow, as I had some problems at 12.

Thanks for the tip on the AFD degradation. I think there might have been a snow issue too, the stuff was very cakey that day. Running AT soles on the Cochises, so not sure how that might affect things.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    The AFD can go down on you after several hard ski days
    Any tips on teaching the gf that trick?

Excellent use of the POV.
    Change is good. You go first.

Damn dude! Amazing you walked away from that based on the immediate deceleration. Glad it's just some bruises.

You were having an awesome run right up to that point! Damn. Call me an idiot, but I swear by my Alpine Trekkers. From what I've seen, A/T bindings have compromises due to their design. Yes, the Trekkers have drawbacks as well, but I've never pre released. -And pre-releasing while charging hard would be my worst nightmare. Primarily because of what happened to you. Secondarily would be the fear of losing a board and having to search for it in avie terrain such as that which you were on. You are lucky. I'm glad you're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop~Ghost View Post
    Damn dude! Amazing you walked away from that based on the immediate deceleration. Glad it's just some bruises.
    I was able to shut the ski down out of the left turn, straighten it out, and barely initiate a right/check just before impact which probably saved my ass. If you look at the tracks when I look uphill you can see the tail of the ski (and then my forearm) probably took the brunt of the initial blow. Growing up, my brother and I used to finish up the day at Crystal by leaving one ski at the top of 9 and running laps on one ski - definitely helped out yesterday. First time trying it in windbuff though. heh
    Last edited by Lindahl; 02-10-2013 at 09:45 PM.

I think it was the wedge above the cliff that did it.
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

Had a crash really similar to this today. Minus the pre-release and adding me just being a fucking idiot. It is weird seeing essentially the same thing I saw today myself but with your POV.

Similarly I escaped with a bruised knee, wrist and ego since I can't blame the crash on an equipment failure.

spook Guest
    bode would have missed the trees.