Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The end of Patagonia ski-wear?

Patagonia gear once contended at the cutting edge of technical ski clothing design, but for at least the past 5 years the company's offerings have failed to impress this demanding (and once loyal) user. Some of their alpine climbing wear still works as cross-over, but their ski clothing has largely degenerated into mainstream ski fashion, and if clearing it out at 60% off in early February is any indication, they're failing at that too. With Black Diamond coming into the market with a clear focus on functionality, I'm predicting that Patagonia will retreat to just providing casual wear for aging, well heeled, wanna-bees.

Patagucci has never had a focus on ski wear, at least alpine ski wear. They have always emphasized their technical wear toward climbers and skinners. Sure they have added a few pieces with powder skirts and other tidbits to make them resort friendly, but face it, they never have been nor wanted to be a Bogner or Spyper.

I have always bought their technical wear and found it perfectly functional for the resort and the back country or on a climb. I don't own a single piece of "ski-wear".

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I've got a first generation H2No powder bowl jacket that I seem to wear every day. Best jacket ever, It seems a lot more bomber than the new gore stuff.

With the signing of Kye and Pep it sounds like they may go more mainstream with their ski selection. The apparel industry is tough, everybody is jumping in on it. Patagonia wouldn't be the only one who suffered in sales this fall. Also isn't the Black Diamond apparel designer formerly of Patagonia?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    With Black Diamond coming into the market with a clear focus on functionality
    what in the multiple bullshit buzzword presentations has given you that idea?

Patagonia's made and sold clothing for "posers" for decades. Nothing much has changed, every couple of years they have a cool interesting piece which the "core" crowd might pick up on sale then it gets discontinued. Plus ca change, plus que c'est le meme chose.

BD presentation was pathetic.
    Patatonia interest in ski wear is pretty marginal, as one can easily understand just by reading their catalog
    Last edited by verbier61; 02-09-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    what in the multiple bullshit buzzword presentations has given you that idea?
    Thanks, I thought I'd missed something.

Patagucci and TNF sell so much stuff it's mind boggling. No one will ever take much if their market share.

Skiwear is like SUV's. No matter what the marketing spin is, if you can't sell your product successfully to soccer moms then you're dead before you even get started.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Rip on them all you want. IMHO, they make some of the most comfortable and longest lasting outdoor/technical clothing out there. In a day of wanna be company's, they still stand behind their product better than anyone else in my experience. Sure, they are way over priced- not disputing that. However, the 2x year sale events, coupled with their outlet/ web specials makes them definitely affordable for this family of four on an educators salary.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I've got a first generation H2No powder bowl jacket that I seem to wear every day. Best jacket ever, It seems a lot more bomber than the new gore stuff.

With the signing of Kye and Pep it sounds like they may go more mainstream with their ski selection. The apparel industry is tough, everybody is jumping in on it. Patagonia wouldn't be the only one who suffered in sales this fall. Also isn't the Black Diamond apparel designer formerly of Patagonia?
    Same here. I picked one up on ebay for pretty cheap (in Pattagucci circles) and have been very happy with it for lift served. It is not technical gear, as it is way to heavy, but it keeps me dry and warm, and has worn very well. And when it finally shits the bed, i know I can go back to the store and replace it for 20% of cost, because they stand behind their goods.

In general, I am finding that I like buying from companies who are very willing to replace/repair products that wear through. Hestra has been good with this as well. On my third pair of gloves in about 7 years. They just keep sending me new ones when something goes wrong. My 3 season old, well used, gloves had some stitching on two fingers pull loose. They sent me a new pair.

Then again, I am an aspiring soccer mom.

One of the top three best performing and long lasting items of clothing I have is an old orange Patagonia 'proshell' style jacket. It is dead now, and for some time has performed badly in wet warm snow precip, but it lasted for a solid 400 day of backcountry wear and still does well in wind and dry snow precip. The only serious material failures have been in areas of pack shoulder strap wear and in areas of creasing near the elbow. Otherwise the material performs very well and the jacket is still good.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Same here. I picked one up on ebay for pretty cheap (in Pattagucci circles) and have been very happy with it for lift served. It is not technical gear, as it is way to heavy, but it keeps me dry and warm, and has worn very well. And when it finally shits the bed, i know I can go back to the store and replace it for 20% of cost, because they stand behind their goods.

In general, I am finding that I like buying from companies who are very willing to replace/repair products that wear through. Hestra has been good with this as well. On my third pair of gloves in about 7 years. They just keep sending me new ones when something goes wrong. My 3 season old, well used, gloves had some stitching on two fingers pull loose. They sent me a new pair.

Then again, I am an aspiring soccer mom.
    Who the fuck knows why they and other companies wouldn't keep manufacturing stuff. Lifetime of the garment. That said they've done the cost benefit and want to keep customers.

The TGR crowd isn't the cash cow that a family of for from Florida going to Vail for a week is.
    Last edited by concretejungle; 02-09-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Same here. I picked one up on ebay for pretty cheap (in Pattagucci circles) and have been very happy with it for lift served. It is not technical gear, as it is way to heavy, but it keeps me dry and warm, and has worn very well.
    Seriously? A couple ozs makes it not "technical gear"? Maybe not for mark twight..... I always thought "technical" was features and somewhat fit. Oh well, people on TGR were stoked about this current line of patagucci gear and now they aren't, who knows what they want other than a nice Down Sweater to wear to Trader Joe's.

Quote Originally Posted by mn_teleskier View Post
    Rip on them all you want. IMHO, they make some of the most comfortable and longest lasting outdoor/technical clothing out there. In a day of wanna be company's, they still stand behind their product better than anyone else in my experience. Sure, they are way over priced- not disputing that. However, the 2x year sale events, coupled with their outlet/ web specials makes them definitely affordable for this family of four on an educators salary.
    This. They still make some great stuff that I'm happy to buy when I find a deal. They haven't fallen near as hard as TNF in this regard. North face clothing is a joke now, but I don't doubt that they make more $$ off the casual wear.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    This. They still make some great stuff that I'm happy to buy when I find a deal. They haven't fallen near as hard as TNF in this regard. North face clothing is a joke now, but I don't doubt that they make more $$ off the casual wear.
    Interesting take.

I have had bad experiences with Patagonia just not being very durable. This is with soft shells and gloves. Their casual clothes seem well made but $$$. We have had the high end North Face stuff at work for a few years now - well designed, bombproof, but not super light, or super sleek fit. The low end TNF stuff is junk though, and Patagonia doesn't really have an equivalent low end line.

I have one of the original brown fuzzies that look like burlap on the outside and still use it from time to time. Probably the best piece of gear I've ever owned. I did finally get a Nano puff to replace it--don't know if that will last 30 years but by then I'll be too dead to find out.

Patagonia's alpine climbing gear is the way to go as far as skiing is concerned. I've put 150 days on my Alpine super bibs over the last season and a half and they are easily the best pants i've ever had. As others have mentioned, Patagonia stands by their gear. No B.S., no hassles, they just replace it. Furthermore, they are a socially and environmentally conscience company and that's worth something to me (1%). Pricey indeed but there are deals to be had (such as the current sales event).

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Patagonia's alpine climbing gear is the way to go as far as skiing is concerned. I've put 150 days on my Alpine super bibs over the last season and a half and they are easily the best pants i've ever had.
    Agree with this, the super alpine bibs > the pow slayer big time.

Damn it! I've been using and abusing their primo jacket and pants for the last season! Not to mention a nano puff pullover and some fleece. I thought that they worked great, but since winters in the pacific northwest aren't very demanding on gear, I guess I have been fooled. I'll try to get them up for sale on the gear swap asap, although it sounds like nobody will be interested. Also, what should I buy instead? I keep seeing those north face fleece jackets everywhere, even on every person in the suburbs of Chicago, so they must make some really good gear...
    smoke crack and worship satan

Where is it 60% off?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    I have had bad experiences with Patagonia just not being very durable. This is with soft shells and gloves. Their casual clothes seem well made but $$$. We have had the high end North Face stuff at work for a few years now - well designed, bombproof, but not super light, or super sleek fit. The low end TNF stuff is junk though, and Patagonia doesn't really have an equivalent low end line.
    Their gloves have sucked for 15 years (but then most gloves suck durability wise); the softshells are hit and miss. I've had good quality from some recent ones. Their casual clothing can go for almost free at the outlets (as in as low as $5 for shorts or $3 for t-shirts)

it's 60% off on their website and at the outlet stores.

The Patagonia website.

Edit: In response to Snowy Spartan's question.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

first ascent gear sold exclusively at fred meyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Seriously? A couple ozs makes it not "technical gear"? Maybe not for mark twight..... I always thought "technical" was features and somewhat fit. Oh well, people on TGR were stoked about this current line of patagucci gear and now they aren't, who knows what they want other than a nice Down Sweater to wear to Trader Joe's.
    Dude, Trader Joe's near my house is always freakin' cold. If I forget my technical wear, I have to resort to watching the soccer mom eye candy to stay warm.

Patagucci has post-season sales every season, okay maybe they are usually up to 50% off, not up to 60%, but it hardly means they are giving up on a market. I think we can all assume that their sales of ski jackets, shell pants, etc are a pimple on their volume of fleeces and puff jackets, not to mention casual wear, but they keep rolling the niche outdoor gear out every season for branding reasons, plus they may believe their own catalog copy. The outlet stores are the bomb for good deals, wish I still lived near one.

I believe TNF sells something like two million of the Denali fleeces a year.

I've had good experiences with Patagonia ski gear, ranging from a Gore Tex shell I bought this season that's survived a lot of trees without a rip or serious scuff, to a down sweater I bought last season that's holding up really well and works down to negative digits. Just don't see the basis for the OP, and no specifics provided so...