Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    I get a kick out of whenever someone classifies the trails (or ski runs for that matter) they ride by the respective difficulty rating assigned to them…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The "do you ACTUALLY test ride" thread has been pretty amusing. Seems 9/10 mtbr members are such experts on geometry, kinematics and bike setup that demoing a bike is of no value to them. Yet of course, when anyone starts up a "what bike to buy" thread asking for input on a couple specific models the common response is invariably "go ride both and see which one you like".

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/how-man...1202289/page-4

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    The "do you ACTUALLY test ride" thread has been pretty amusing. Seems 9/10 mtbr members are such experts on geometry, kinematics and bike setup that demoing a bike is of no value to them. Yet of course, when anyone starts up a "what bike to buy" thread asking for input on a couple specific models the common response is invariably "go ride both and see which one you like".

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/how-man...1202289/page-4
    That hypocrisy is pretty well documented here too….

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Actually, we’re all legit semi-pro over here.

However many are in a shit ton.

geometry, kinematics and bike setup that demoing a bike is of no value to them. ]
    I firmly believe this is the case with me. But, its because im such a beater and unknowledgeable, not because i am an expert at anything. The decision making that goes into my bike purchases is this: decide on a a 30mm travel range, ask around the bro-crew to see if anyone has an XL on year end closeout for stupid cheap. I am currently running a 9 speed drivetrain (used to be 11 before crashes bent sprocket teeth), and a very out of true rear wheel that has two massive dents in it so i run it with a tube, and im perfectly happy. Hell, i ran the OEM super crappy tires for 2 years before throwing on some MaxTerra rubber. Everytime ive tried to setup my suspension myself, buddies have called my bike unrideable... so i paid a chunk of change for a local suspension guru to fully service and setup my suspension last winter which was very eye opening how good my bike felt... havent touched a setting since.

Moral of the story, i think most people overestimate their abilities both on the bike and behind the wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I firmly believe this is the case with me. But, its because im such a beater and unknowledgeable, not because i am an expert at anything. The decision making that goes into my bike purchases is this: decide on a a 30mm travel range, ask around the bro-crew to see if anyone has an XL on year end closeout for stupid cheap. I am currently running a 9 speed drivetrain (used to be 11 before crashes bent sprocket teeth), and a very out of true rear wheel that has two massive dents in it so i run it with a tube, and im perfectly happy. Hell, i ran the OEM super crappy tires for 2 years before throwing on some MaxTerra rubber. Everytime ive tried to setup my suspension myself, buddies have called my bike unrideable... so i paid a chunk of change for a local suspension guru to fully service and setup my suspension last winter which was very eye opening how good my bike felt... havent touched a setting since.

Moral of the story, i think most people overestimate their abilities both on the bike and behind the wrench.
    Dude. I’m not sure that’s the moral of the story.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Dude. I’m not sure that’s the moral of the story.
    Im not so sure anymore either.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    That's pretty much what I was getting at. There are some prolific keyboard warriors on that forum who talk a big game but half the shit they say makes you wonder if they really have a clue. I'm convinced most of them can barely tell their asshole from their elbow. But they will tell you they'll know just from the published geometry numbers whether a bike will work for them or not. Then in another thread they'll say something like "all bikes are so good these days, its really hard to go wrong." And then they'll continue to spend all their time hand-wringing and bickering with each other over trivial details on an internet forum. lol.

I dunno, I just fail to see how you can't get some useful data points out of a demo even if a bike isn't spec'd and set up to your exacting needs.
    Last edited by evdog; 03-22-2022 at 10:10 AM.

I dunno, I just fail to see how you can't get some useful data points out of a demo even if a bike isn't spec'd and set up to your exacting needs.
    No doubt. I just live in a small market and don’t have many opportunities, so every bike I’ve ever owned was bought blind. I have gone to one Outerbike and ridden demos at Wydaho and random local demo stops, but only for curiosity. Those experiences can be useful when I start shopping again.

It’s mostly worked out. I’ve never had a bike I hated, but I wasn’t sorry to move on from my SB5.5.

This thread has promise....front break delete

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/front-b...#post-15639190

Meanwhile I'm putting front brake on my dirt jumper b/c 40+ = no bar spins. Unless you're doing barspins I don't get the brakeless movement and even then there are options. Not MTBR, but I posted a stoke video on a FB video of a big log bump jump and got a bunch of keyboard warrior MTBR types telling me I shouldn't have bottomed out my fork, not enough air pressure, how many tokens am I running, etc.

Maybe it’s just me, but riding bikes > telling people on the internet they’re riding bikes wrong.

I live next to a state park with 10-12 miles of rolling punchy mixed use trails all green level. I dont ride it on my slayer. I ride it on my fully rigid single speed with bald tires and only a rear brake. Makes it much more exciting and challenging that way even if there are some 100' sections of trail i am literally unable to stop on. Sometimes i wonder if i should throw on a front brake... but i dont want to spend the money/time and sometimes a handicap is needed if the trail is so easy it becomes boring.

Back when I used to ride whistler all summer we'd have a front or rear brake go out every so often. If we didn't have what was needed to fix it we'd just lap A-line with a single brake. No front brake was definitely sketchier but was a good learning opportunity. Wouldn't want to ride with no front on trails that have other users on them though.

I did 24hrs of Canaan when I was younger, back in like 95 or something, and it rained and rained and was so muddy the front wheel, fork and brakes kept packing up with mud, so at the end of the prologue loop, i stopped, pulled the front brakes off, handed them to my buddy, and rode the big loop without.
    sigless.

My kid swore that using a front brake was stupid when he was growing up (technical trails - Moab, Steamboat, etc, going fast). Then he grew till he was more than 120 pounds and he saw the light.

I’ve ridden plenty of long tech rides with the front or back break not working. Ya just gotta think ahead.

It also helps if you hate traction.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That has to be a troll.

This just in - Some folks on TGR lurk in the MTBR forums.

Do you not worry that someone from another forum will read one of our Bushwacker threads and think we are all retards here?

Fair points.
    I did just get chastised by a mod for being a bit of a dick, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78B8A075-1B83-4870-BCF0-90DF6D5F01C3.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	473.0 KB 
ID:	452310
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Does MTBR actually still exist? Kind of shocked about that. What's the point of it now?
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Does MTBR actually still exist? Kind of shocked about that. What's the point of it now?
    Good way to kill some time at work… haha.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I did 24hrs of Canaan when I was younger, back in like 95 or something, and it rained and rained and was so muddy the front wheel, fork and brakes kept packing up with mud, so at the end of the prologue loop, i stopped, pulled the front brakes off, handed them to my buddy, and rode the big loop without.
    Nice! Watched a couple of those, but only ever participated in the 24 hours of Snowshoe. Eventually got moved again because they never learned that those regions are essentially rain forests until August/September. Enchanted Forest at SS never fully recovered.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Do you not worry that someone from another forum will read one of our Bushwacker threads and think we are all retards here?
    Nope…bc he was there too…and met the same results.

It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.