Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Lots of awesome in this thread. Congrats to your girls, Suit!

I'm in St. Louis. The FIRST Robotics world championships are over.

My daughters' team finished 38th in their division of 64, winning 4 of their 8 matches. They had hoped to do better, but I'm pretty proud of them. There are something like 2500-2800 First Tech Challenge teams in the world, and only 128 of them made it to the world championships. They lost their first three matches, but then finished strong with victories in 4 of the remaining 5.

Hopefully they can keep it up next year. My older daughter was the team captain, robot driver, and head programmer. She is off to MIT next year, so hopefully the rest of the kids can step it up without her.

P.S. for GetAmped - the FRC championship was awesome. This year's game made for some very, very tight matches. Watching the top teams maneuver and shoot frisbees was really impressive. The winning alliance was two teams from Canada and one from Texas, but I don't think team 610 that you competed against was one of them.

That's pretty cool Suit. Robotics and automation is definitely a thing of the present that will continue to advance and become more widespread into the future. I've dabbled in it and haven't the cranial capacity to excel in that field... I still love it though.

Every member of that team has something to be proud of, and you must be a damn proud dad with a kid off to MIT excelling at something she appears to love.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I'm in St. Louis. The FIRST Robotics world championships are over.

My daughters' team finished 38th in their division of 64, winning 4 of their 8 matches. They had hoped to do better, but I'm pretty proud of them. There are something like 2500-2800 First Tech Challenge teams in the world, and only 128 of them made it to the world championships. They lost their first three matches, but then finished strong with victories in 4 of the remaining 5.

Hopefully they can keep it up next year. My older daughter was the team captain, robot driver, and head programmer. She is off to MIT next year, so hopefully the rest of the kids can step it up without her.

P.S. for GetAmped - the FRC championship was awesome. This year's game made for some very, very tight matches. Watching the top teams maneuver and shoot frisbees was really impressive. The winning alliance was two teams from Canada and one from Texas, but I don't think team 610 that you competed against was one of them.
    Glad you had the opportunity to attend. Sounds like your daughter's team made a very respectable showing.

The FRC competitions this year were quite exciting. And team 610 (along with 1477 and 1241) won the Championship in some really high scoring matches.
    If it's too loud, you're too old

Kick Ass, Suit.

Quote Originally Posted by GetAmped View Post
    The FRC competitions this year were quite exciting. And team 610 (along with 1477 and 1241) won the Championship in some really high scoring matches.
    I guess my team number memory is not so good. Do you know if the top FRC teams were using machine vision to aim?

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I guess my team number memory is not so good. Do you know if the top FRC teams were using machine vision to aim?
    I seem to remember that Team 610 was using a camera-based targeting system, but it's not in their spec sheet:

http://team610.com/wordpress/wp-cont...st-BAEpdf2.pdf

PSA:

The inaugural FIRST New York Tech Valley Regional Robotics Competition will be held March 16-19, 2014 at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY. My ladyfriend and I have been busy putting together the web site for the event and, while it still needs some content, it is live as of this morning:

http://www.techvalleyfirst.org/

Awesome thread Suit!

My son is a freshman in HS and is in a great robotics program. It's cool because I manage a SCADA system and he is essentially programming PLC's- so we get to talk shop. Really proud of him. He's 15 and in AP physics. School is so different now from when I went. That class is probably harder than anything I had even through college!

These kids are awesome! Makes me have hope for the future.

The sciences are super strong in my town... middle school Science Olympiad team (youngest daughter's team) was the CT state champs the last two years and the high school FIRST robotics team (eldest daughter's team) won the national championship in 2009. Tons of after school and weekend work- but totally worth it.

Fantastic programs... love the rock star atmosphere at the state and national events!

Nice to see the nerds get their due. Certainly didn't have this stuff when I was in school- have no idea how/why I stuck with it...
    "Go Balls Deep!"