TR: Colorado Tour - San Juan's - Jan 28 thru Feb 3

Note: Edited to correct the video links.... I haven't quite figured out the nuances of using an iPad for posting these things.

We are just wrapping up our tour of the San Juans and are heading back home tomorrow. We hit it right! The area received somewhere around 3 feet of new, on average, just as we arrived. Back country has been hideously unstable and even some of the in-bound terrain has been twitchy but we managed to do okay anyway. Below are some of the daily edits from this past week.

First stop, Durango Mountain Resort - Purgatory. This was a nice way to start things off with lots of new, soft snow to play in and great weather. Being from the PNW, skiing in the sun is always a nice break! DMR is a really fun spot with plenty to keep us busy. Here's the first day of our tour:

Our second day was at San Juan Ski Company, cat skiing. We were pretty restricted as to where we could go since the storms had buried their cat roads and they hadn't had time to rebuild them all. Also, with the instability, we were in the trees for the most part. Still, it was a lot of fun and we managed to keep ourselves entertained. Scott Kennett hooked up with us for the day which also helped keep us entertained. Here is our day:

We skied DMR again on our third day then hit Wolf Creek on the fourth day. I really like the laid back vibe at WC and the fact they average 465" of snow per year. We did a bit of hiking up Knife Ridge and also up Alberta Peak that got us to some really fun spots. Having bluebird only makes it all even better.

Our last two days were at Telluride. Scott joined up with us again and acted as our guide. We hit Revelation Bowl first thing for the first runs of the season there. We followed that up with some semi-gnarly bump skiing (gonna need some base work) then some groomed cruisers. Here's a look at what we found on the first day:

And there it is. Thanks SW Colorado for a good time! Now we're splintering up with our next trip touring Idaho and Robby on his way to Sochi for the Olympic test event in Skier Cross. Good luck, dude!
    Last edited by GoldMember; 02-05-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Bump for corrected links.

Quality footage right here. The San Juans deliver yet again...

and you were blessed by Ullr himself ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Jealous..great stoke

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    and you were blessed by Ullr himself ...
    Yes, yes we were...

Remember...CO sucks.

Nice work.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Nice stuff!

Q: where did you stay in Purgatory? I have a few comp days to use and I know nothing about the area, where to stay on the cheap, etc.

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Nice stuff!

Q: where did you stay in Purgatory? I have a few comp days to use and I know nothing about the area, where to stay on the cheap, etc.
    Thanks!

We stayed in condos in Cascade Village which is close to the resort. I don't know the price on them but definitely probably not on the cheap (they were comped) as they were pretty nice digs. I would suggest staying somewhere in Durango and driving the 25-30 minutes to the resort to ski. Plenty of options in town. Check them out at http://www.durango.org/lodging/info.aspx

Hey GM,
    Since you seem to have some pull with ULLR (your trip was during prime time), please give him a shout for another dose. It's been melting......
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Heh, I don't know that we have any pull with ULLR but he seems to come through for us in crunch time. Right before we left on our trip, the weather turned good for us in the PNW, followed by the storms in CO. We timed it perfectly. Now that we're back, we're supposed to be getting some more storms coming into the PNW. Maybe instead of me trying to get you weather from afar, you should consider traveling to where the weather is. I always felt like I had a storm following me around as a kid. Little did I know that it was a good thing!

It's crossed my mind but I'm hoping for one of our 100 inch weeks. On the back of Purg now and a little squall is bringing in some teaser snow. Maybe a lot on Sat
    Last edited by Alpinord; 02-06-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typos
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    It's crossed my mind but I'm hoping for one our100 in weeks. On the back of Purg now and a little squall is bringing in some teaser snow. Maybe a lot on Sat
    Oh hells yeah, I read the Taos report and it looks like S. CO is going to get some.

But for a quick weekend blast to take that job and shove it, Silverton might not be the best choice.