Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Finally decided to level up and order a 125mm Brand-X for $108 shipped. Will report how it goes.

In the interim, I've got to figure out a mounting strategy that makes sense. I don't feel like dropping $50 on a special remote for a $100 dropper; and I'm running a 2x setup.

Obviously the real answer is to ditch the 2x.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Finally decided to level up and order a 125mm Brand-X for $108 shipped. Will report how it goes.

In the interim, I've got to figure out a mounting strategy that makes sense. I don't feel like dropping $50 on a special remote for a $100 dropper; and I'm running a 2x setup.

Obviously the real answer is to ditch the 2x.
    Take a look at the lever that Brand X uses on the Ascend II - it works with a left shifter. Maybe you can order it along with that dropper at the same time.

I've been watching the Brand X prices to pick up another Ascend II, because I need external routing. That sale on the internal routing one is a great price.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

That looks like a killer deal!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Take a look at the lever that Brand X uses on the Ascend II - it works with a left shifter. Maybe you can order it along with that dropper at the same time.

I've been watching the Brand X prices to pick up another Ascend II, because I need external routing. That sale on the internal routing one is a great price.
    I saw that. They used to offer it separately but it was always out of stock. It would've been rad if they offered it as an option.

I'll find some hackish way to install to start. Maybe order a race face universal remote for ~$45 in the future.

EDIT: For those in a similar position, PNW offers a remote, that with @smmokan 's referral code CHASINGEPIC amounts to $28 shipped. I'll bet it works....
    EDIT2: PNW super responsive to questions. For ascend dropper you want the Rainer remote. If you have a dropper where the cable head is at the post (not the remote), then you want the Cascade.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 04-24-2018 at 09:20 AM.

On the far opposite end of the spectrum:
    Remember when 9point8 came out and all the mags and online reviews were saying it was the greatest post ever, winning all their shootouts? Licensed by Race Face so that they could have a post without needing to develop new technology? (*cough* *cough* rims) (*cough* *cough* business plan run by marketing company)
    Looks like Race Face just dropped 9point8.
    In my small circle there have been nothing but shitty results from 9p8, so I'm not surprised one bit. YMMV
    However many are in a shit ton.

Dang, score. I'm close to a year in on my Brand X and it's the same as the day I installed it.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Glad I got a KS Lev instead of an Aeffect. Did RF at least change the spot were the air valve is? I had a Turbine dropper and hated it due to air leaking and having to remove the saddle to air it up every other ride. I've been using Race Face parts for years and they always make bullet proof gear - but the Turbine dropper was a huge disappointment.
    The valve on the Aeffect is under the saddle like the Turbine and Lev Integra. That's pretty standard.

The TMARS 419S is down to the low $70s...just search "TMARS 419S" on ebay. 55 and 110mm drop, comes in 27.2 and 31.6 (or 30.9 which is a shimmed 27.2), and includes an ambidextrous remote lever.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	234398

It's not quite a Gravity Dropper clone, but it's similar: mechanical post, mechanical actuation. Literally the only thing I've done in nearly three years is replace the actuator cable, which took less than five minutes. You can even buy a bushing/maintenance kit for it!

There are multiple generations of this seatpost. If you just search for TMARS, you might get one of the older ones - so make sure to look for the 419S. For under $75 I really don't see any reason to buy anything else.

I finally had an in the field failure on a reverb. The top cap was loose and I lost all pressure and fluid. I guess the party that did the previous rebuild did not torque the top cap to the right spec.
    I hope it’s a simple fix of adding air pressure and a full bleed.
    I have the tools and parts to do a rebuild, but would prefer to avoid that.

A few weeks in on the e13 post and I really like it....super fast consistent return, which was my biggest gripe (super slow return) on the KS i inherited and it replaced

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Corner store junkies giving advice

I like my tmars 419s for $75. Solid and mechanical ease is great
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Is there any known reliability difference between the Rainier and Bachelor droppers from PNW? Air vs. coil spring and all that.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Budget dropper posts

None that I’ve seen over several posts on our demo bikes. IIRC, the cartridge on the Rainier is sealed so you can’t adjust air pressure (although I’ve never had to). Also, I’ve noticed because of that the Bachelor posts come up faster than the Rainiers. Not sure if that matters or not.

But so far over two seasons and about 20 bikes, I haven’t had a single issue with any of the posts other than needing to put some more air in a Bachelor after a high-altitude or super cold stint. I certainly can’t say that about the KS Lev, Fox Transfer or Reverb.

Ascend and PNW droppers are identical from what I can tell comparing mine vs my friends. Go PNW if you’ve got the cash — better warranty, easier CS. PNW remote is superior too;.

Budget dropper posts

Both my bikes have X Fusion Manics, one at 125 and one at 150. The 125 is a year old and has been flawless, and my 6 week old 150 looks to be no different.

The only downside to the Manic is that the insertion length is longer than some other posts. Make sure you have enough seat tube available.

Ascend and PNW droppers are identical from what I can tell comparing mine vs my friends. Go PNW if you’ve got the cash — better warranty, easier CS. PNW remote is superior too;.
    Just got a Brand X from CRC. Goes up, goes down and less play than all the POS Reverbs I’ve had from day one. I concur though, the Brand x lever sucks, but for the price I’ll deal. Seems like a good value post for sure.

Are people still happy with the Brand-X/PNW posts? Looking for an external dropper for my daughter's bike, the 125mm Cascade seems to fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Are people still happy with the Brand-X/PNW posts? Looking for an external dropper for my daughter's bike, the 125mm Cascade seems to fit the bill.
    I like mine but it's internal routed version. Remote from Brand X was shitty, so I got a PNW one.

FYI if you look around here, the Chasing Epic dude-- smmokan I think -- has a 20% referral coupon for PNW.

Been beating the shit out of the Brand X 150 internal routed dropper for a couple months (been riding 5-6 days a week, 3-7 hr rides, so not like a season of use but my Reverb would be shit with that amount of riding). As others have said, the remote is kinda chincy but it works. For $186 it has been a great dropper, as in I never think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Been on my cascade 125 external for over a year now. Zero issues. Some day I’ll add a shifter style lever to it

I’m curious about the one up. Anyone tried one of their new posts?

I have one but have only ridden it around the block. Super easy setup and smooth operation, FAST return. I like that the remote is ala cart, I went with a Wolf Tooth light action. A little more expensive than One Up’s but seems way nicer. I run my brakes pretty far inboard and I don’t think I’d be able to matchmake their remote. The Wolf Tooth is quite a bit longer. This setup is $265 all-in. Not bad for a 170 post with premium remote. We’ll see about durability. I’ll be up in Squamish next month, prolly pick up a backup cartridge just in case.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Thanks guys, pulled the trigger on a Cascade with the discount. The girl is going to be stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I have one but have only ridden it around the block. Super easy setup and smooth operation, FAST return. I like that the remote is ala cart, I went with a Wolf Tooth light action. A little more expensive than One Up’s but seems way nicer. I run my brakes pretty far inboard and I don’t think I’d be able to matchmake their remote. The Wolf Tooth is quite a bit longer. This setup is $265 all-in. Not bad for a 170 post with premium remote. We’ll see about durability. I’ll be up in Squamish next month, prolly pick up a backup cartridge just in case.
    Nice. Like a lot of their stuff , they seem like they’re well thought out. I was under the impression that they’re desigjned for an ez rebuild. Decent price , I’ll be curious to see how it holds out for you .

I bought a PNW Cascade last year when they switched to the fixed insertion spot. Loved it. However my frame cracked and my new bike came with a LEV so I've been riding with that since and will keep the Cascade as a backup. Both seem good although I know the Cascade is scores less $$$

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Nice. Like a lot of their stuff , they seem like they’re well thought out. I was under the impression that they’re desigjned for an ez rebuild. Decent price , I’ll be curious to see how it holds out for you .
    No rebuild, $80 replacement cartridges available. I’d rather rebuild but maybe they’ll recycle the old cartridges. $80 is pretty reasonable though compared to a reverb rebuild at the shop.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air