Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    I dont think its about being aggro its about whether you want to and know how how to use the extra range of motion afforded by a dropper post. Most people who say "they can take it or leave it" if you watch them ride they....

A. dont really use much range of motion.
    B. think that getting back on downhills is what you do
    c. leverage INTO their seat to turn
    d. the rarest, keep their seat low and stand to pedal all the time.
    I usually ask them if, in the "old" days, they had a QR collar and did they drop their seat regularly prior to any "extended" DH section. If they say "no" then a dropper may not be particularly useful to their "style"...

I would love to see some video of someone riding with a full leg extentsion seat post, make chunky, pumpy downhills look flowly.
    Imposibru.

I like having a dropper, but I'm one of those who doesn't think it's the most awesome thing. Truthfully, I only find it useful for trails that I know really well or have well defined uphill and downhill sections.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I like having a dropper, but I'm one of those who doesn't think it's the most awesome thing. Truthfully, I only find it useful for trails that I know really well or have well defined uphill and downhill sections.
    Do you drop the seat to corner? Even on "flat" type trails?

I had a better Strava time on a descent on an entry level hardtail with a dropper (DeVinci Kobain) vs a DeVinci Slayer 170/160mm Carbon enduro bike with a broken dropper that wouldn’t go down. Now that I’m used to a dropper, I find it pretty scary to ride without it, but I am a beaterjong

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Do you drop the seat to corner? Even on "flat" type trails?
    Yes, if you drop your seat, you can lean the bike a lot more by moving your butt to the outside of the corner.

So you can corner faster AND still have your weight over the contact patch of the tires, so if they slip you can recover
    If the seat is high, most likely you will be on the inside.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I had a better Strava time on a descent on an entry level hardtail with a dropper (DeVinci Kobain) vs a DeVinci Slayer 170/160mm Carbon enduro bike with a broken dropper that wouldn’t go down. Now that I’m used to a dropper, I find it pretty scary to ride without it, but I am a beaterjong
    Similar boat.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I think when you start riding with a dropper you have to think of default as down, and you only raise for seated pedaling....

Also modern dropper go up and down so fast that I literally drop mine down just for a corner or two, or to pump.

I am reformed Cat 1xc racer who basically just goes out and has fun now. Hell on short but super steep strava segement locally I dropped 8 seconds just from going from a 125mm dropper to a 180mm dropper on the same exact bike. Conversely I can ride slower and feel much safer on said trail.

its not even that technical just steep and pumpy.

I would rather ride a rigid with a dropper than a 160/160 with no dropper.

I’ve been riding MTB since ‘83, used a qr (even a hite rite!) and did lower my seat. I like a lower seat for cornering....don’t get back on anything but threatening to go over the bars steep...try and stay centered and low center of gravity.

I guess most the riding I do in the PC area isn’t chunky, flow trails w berms etc. just don’t use it much....

Might increase my times by letting me get a bigger angle but I don’t think it would’ve by much (probably due to my lack of skill/progression).

Maybe one of the steeper seat tube angle bikes would make the seat be in my way more? I’m usually reasonably forward and it’s not in the way on my current bike.

I don’t know

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I’ve been riding MTB since ‘83, used a qr (even a hite rite!) and did lower my seat. I like a lower seat for cornering....don’t get back on anything but threatening to go over the bars steep...try and stay centered and low center of gravity.

I guess most the riding I do in the PC area isn’t chunky, flow trails w berms etc. just don’t use it much....
    This kinda confuses me. Do you drop your seat for these bermed trail sections?

Droppers are great for logs, rocks, creek crossings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    If they say "no" then a dropper may not be particularly useful to their "style"...
    And you can then ignore anything and everything that person has to say about descending, "That's nice dear...."

I suppose some people could also ski to their complete satisfaction whilst sitting on a barstool. Which, hey, more power to ya.

Having to choose between a dropper and rear suspension would be like Sophie's Choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    And you can then ignore anything and everything that person has to say about descending, "That's nice dear...."
    I know a guy (and respect him greatly as a cyclist) who has been mt biking FOREVER, but his total dismissal of dropper posts as useless technology really opened my eyes.

I think when you start riding with a dropper you have to think of default as down, and you only raise for seated pedaling....

Yup. That's my mindset.

I use my dropper in PC all the time. I'm kind of a hack on a bike though.

I was highly skeptical about the value of droppers for a long time. Much more xc/trail rider than enduro/dh. Never bothered to drop post with QR cos I usually don’t stop at every transition.

Then I got one ......
    First few rides were a bit sketchy as I presumably used to rely on contact between thighs and seat for stability.

I always moved the bike around a bit but the extent was limited by seat.
    I’m now much more dynamic on the bike and maneuver the bike to a much greater extent. Dunno if I’m faster or not cos I don’t bother to time rides but I definitely like it - just feels good to throw bike around and I’m having fun.

FWIW very happy with my PNW Cascade post. Performance is good, reliability has been good and its definitely priced right. Might be a bit heavier than some but not much i don’t think.

Got back on a MTB after 10 years off and went from a hardtail w/o dropper to a 140/140 trail bike with a 150 mm dropper. The first few rides I thought it was useless. One year later I had to rent a rig while on vacation and ended up on a Scott Spark with no dropper and a seat tube with a bend that prevents much insertion, only allowing the seat to go down about 3". I spent the whole week shitting myself on the down, clamping the seat with my thighs and getting bumped around, getting tangled in the seat when trying to get behind it, or flailing on any short uphill section that I attacked with the seat down. When I got back on my bike I realized I was using the dropper more than the gear shifter, riding around PC trails I'm constantly moving the seat. As mentioned above, seat out of the way unless I'm grinding uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Got back on a MTB after 10 years off and went from a hardtail w/o dropper to a 140/140 trail bike with a 150 mm dropper. The first few rides I thought it was useless. One year later I had to rent a rig while on vacation and ended up on a Scott Spark with no dropper and a seat tube with a bend that prevents much insertion, only allowing the seat to go down about 3". I spent the whole week shitting myself on the down and getting tangled up in the seat when trying to get behind it
    Do you have any video?!? 'Cause this sounds hilarious...

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    <snip> just feels good to throw bike around and I’m having fun
    Bingo.

Cant believe this discussion still exists.
    Can anyone name the world cup downhiller that puts his seat at full extension?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I think you all are missing the point. When we say that we don't feel a dropper is necessary or all that helpful its because most of our riding is grinding entirely uphill for 1000'+, and then riding straight down 1000'+. At the top of a climb i usually grab some water, catch my breath and enjoy a view for a couple minutes... plenty of time to use a QR to drop the post. And then shuttle and bike park days take up probably 10% of my riding days, and a dropper is just a liability for those.

I do drop my seat for the berms and stuff, maybe I need to ride a bike without a dropper to open my eyes to how much I’ve adapted.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Budget dropper posts

Just set the post height to 2/3 of max and then spin the lever upside down and go for a ride, so that you can’t unconsciously hit the lever.* Dismount every time you want to adjust the height using the lever. Then report back with results!

*That way, if you are more than 30 minutes out from the TH and having a horrible time, you can pop out your torx driver or whatever and then admit that everyone else is not smoking crack.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I do drop my seat for the berms and stuff, maybe I need to ride a bike without a dropper to open my eyes to how much I’ve adapted.
    Just be really careful - 'cause you're probably gonna crash.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I think you all are missing the point. When we say that we don't feel a dropper is necessary or all that helpful its because most of our riding is grinding entirely uphill for 1000'+, and then riding straight down 1000'+. At the top of a climb i usually grab some water, catch my breath and enjoy a view for a couple minutes... plenty of time to use a QR to drop the post. And then shuttle and bike park days take up probably 10% of my riding days, and a dropper is just a liability for those.

yeah I have some trails that go from 15 percent up to 25 percent down, to flat to 11 percent up to 15 percent down, to log over, pump hole. Hell I even use it climbing sometimes to get up tech bits.

yeah I have some trails that go from 15 percent up to 25 percent down, to flat to 11 percent up to 15 percent down, to log over, pump hole. Hell I even use it climbing sometimes to get up tech bits.
    That is EXACTLY the kind of riding that made dropper posts a game changer. Sounds like desert riding?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    That is EXACTLY the kind of riding that made dropper posts a game changer. Sounds like desert riding?
    Our Front Range MO is pretty much "up 1500-2000 feet, right back down" - except for all those little sections that aren't. Not to mention all the terrain everywhere else that is fun to ride.

I suppose if the ONLY ride(s?) you ever do is straight up/straight down, a dropper is not for you.